2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Oh; also had a bit more of a look at the hook area on the chainstay. Frame appears to be 20mm OD and cylindrical here and needs to be protected most on its inside face, then the bottom face (top when folded).

I think the ideal would be coverage for 3/4 of the circumference, with the outside quarter left exposed... however this could be difficult to apply as anything over 1/2 circumference will require the bent plate to be opened up and re-closed; which might make it less keen to adhere.

The hook also moves maybe 15mm along the frame, while there's also a kink in the frame at around this point; which could complicate matters..

Gunk

Guru
Just picked up a self adhesive plain black frame protector for the hook £3.84 delivered, I’ll let you know if it’s any good. I’m impressed with the cheap BB protector so far, mine was worn right through to the bare metal.

IMG_0937.jpeg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Just picked up a self adhesive plain black frame protector for the hook £3.84 delivered, I’ll let you know if it’s any good. I’m impressed with the cheap BB protector so far, mine was worn right through to the bare metal.

View attachment 698412

Looks good - I guess halfway round the stay is the way to go. Mine's worn through in one spot too - and the bike had hardly done any mileage before I got it. Something else that really should be addressed from the factory IMO...

Another Ali Express item? Will be interested to hear how it goes :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
as we stood by the roundabout by the Kings Arms.

Does it flow better than the traffic lights used to? I may be dreaming it, but that junction what where I first came across an ASL or "the bike box" as I used to call it.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Does it flow better than the traffic lights used to? I may be dreaming it, but that junction what where I first came across an ASL or "the bike box" as I used to call it.
Yeah, it works OK. Probably preferable to the old lights (if for no other reason than it allows some facade of self-determinism rather than blindly bowing to the will of the man).

Tbh given the limitations for vehicular traffic there's not usually much there to cause an issue; worst problem is the 50% of pedestrians and cyclists who pay zero attention to what's going on around them as they cross / negotiate the roundabout..

Cheap frame protection option here: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sjsc-anti-chafing-patches-stainless-steel-pack-of-5/

These don't budge and show minimal signs of abrading on my Brompton.
Nice find - those look like a decent solution and great value. Would be good if there was a bit more info though - dimensions, ease of bending etc.

Today saw a late start, but not appallingly so. Drive was fine, once in Yarnton I managed a few hundred yards on the bike before realising I'd forgotten my water bottle and having to go back to the car.

As the work in the area rumbles on the cycle path situation remains transient - previously bike traffic was directed down the right side of the road towards Oxford, now they've shut that off and the designated route is on the left. The surface is rough and unfinished for much of it; which is particularly unpleasant on the Brompton's little wheels. Added to this the route onto the cycle path from where I park is across a road right at the exit to the roundabout; so you have to blast across the road in the face of oncoming traffic coming round a poorly-sighted bend. Given all this cack I'm thinking of riding the whole way to the tow path on the road tomorrow..

The skies were overcast this morning but the rain held off. The initial unhurried waft stepped up pace as the soundtrack shifted from the meloncholy-tinted nostalgia of Kate Bush, Dire Straits and Phil Collins to a splendid old school hardcore / rave mix; which saw me grinning like a loon as a smashed it up the Cowley rd.

I know listening to music while cycling is a divisive subject; however it's great to have some tunes back again and a good soundtrack definitely boosts the highs of a good ride :smile:

While the rain held off the ground was still wet and the bottom bracket saw its fair share of detritus again. I can only assume this is making its way under the front mudflap and would love to mitigate this - getting impure thoughts about trying to lash some SKS Long flaps to the guards..

25599.jpg

In better news, despite the bottom bracket being plastered with cack my artisinal brass protection plate appears to be doing well. I think my concerns about it moving were unfounded and it's very welcome given how grotty the BB has become again after just a few miles:

IMG_20230711_100107.jpg

Brass stock permitting I'll look to make up something for the chainstay at some point, and protect the rest of the less-agressively-rubby areas with some frame tape - once I've settled on what to buy - suffice to say it won't be the 3M stuff on ebay that works out at £125/metre :blink:

Oh yeah; one final thing - disappointed to see how scratched the bottom of the seatpost has become; I think this is because the inside of the seatpost tube is getting filled with grit, and when the bike is folded this skews the post in the tube so that it contacts the grot.. which then gets drawn up into the assembly as the post is extended. I did wonder about trying to fit some sort of shield to the bottom of the bube; but there's not a lot of meat down there. Again; something that might be remedied by better mudflap coverage at the front.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's really interesting ( for me at least) to read your regular reports on the use of the your Brompton. I understand your frustration of the bike bike getting marked and scratched, it is irksome, but I have made peace with it on my bike, realising that it is a workhorse machine and with regular use, wear and tear is inevitable.

On my flight back from the USA I discovered that the hook on the front fork had broken because the bike had been thrown around a bit by the luggage handlers. It annoyed me at the time but I replaced the part and got over it. Its the cost of usership I guess.

I've had my bike nearly a year now, nearly 1000 miles on it, it still looks great, ( if I don't look to close).

I hope you continue to benefit from ownership, riding it, and good health.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nice find - those look like a decent solution and great value. Would be good if there was a bit more info though - dimensions, ease of bending etc

34.8mm long x 19.2mm wide. They can be bent and cut, but it's tricky and I did not bother. They are a good fit on the wider diameter Brompton tubing, but not on the chainstays, forks etc

I have a longer front mudguard and flap and it helps prevent spray and debris hitting the BB area. However, mine is a bespoke solution as I have 20" wheels on my Brompton.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
@wafter If you are going to fit a longer front mud flat it needs to be flexible, some fit thin rubber or leather. Or you could just extend the existing flap by buyer another and connecting it with some rivets and washers

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

It's really interesting ( for me at least) to read your regular reports on the use of the your Brompton. I understand your frustration of the bike bike getting marked and scratched, it is irksome, but I have made peace with it on my bike, realising that it is a workhorse machine and with regular use, wear and tear is inevitable.

On my flight back from the USA I discovered that the hook on the front fork had broken because the bike had been thrown around a bit by the luggage handlers. It annoyed me at the time but I replaced the part and got over it. Its the cost of usership I guess.

I've had my bike nearly a year now, nearly 1000 miles on it, it still looks great, ( if I don't look to close).

I hope you continue to benefit from ownership, riding it, and good health.
Thanks - appreciate you saying so :smile:

That sucks about the hook, but at least it's a fairly cheap and easy part to replace.. not like a big scratch on the frame to constantly remind you of the selfishness of others, for example.

Tbh I can deal with inevitable wear; it's un-necessary damage that does my nut and I'd suggest that the situation with the BB and chainstay are a massive shortcoming in this regard. Brompton see fit to fit a solitary piece of frame protection tape at the seatpost tube, yet leave it up to the aftermarket to prevent inevitable, significant damage to the largest and most expensive part of the bike.

Even if they offered a protection kit it would be better than the "la la la fingers-in-ears" attitude they currently seem to have.

I agree about the utility angle - if it serves a purpose (which this one definitely does in preserving my fragile mental health and saving me a bit of money) any reasonable wear incurred is much less of a concern...

Tbh it's already fairly marked up in places thanks to the previous owner; which is almost a good thing. The frame remains pretty much mint however and this is where I've chosen to make my stand.. if I can keep that pretty minty (which seems viable) I'll be content :smile:

Tbh my mental state continues to be variable, but I think the effect of both missing the hateful 100% car commute, as well as the additional pleasure of the riding that's replaced some of it is starting to have a cumulative positive effect :smile:

34.8mm long x 19.2mm wide. They can be bent and cut, but it's tricky and I did not bother. They are a good fit on the wider diameter Brompton tubing, but not on the chainstays, forks etc

I have a longer front mudguard and flap and it helps prevent spray and debris hitting the BB area. However, mine is a bespoke solution as I have 20" wheels on my Brompton.
Thanks - so pretty substantial then!

Could you possibly flatten them out and re-form them over a more appropriately-sized cylinder for other applications, or is it too thick / hard?

Are the flaps integral to your mudguards or are they aftermarket efforts?

@wafter If you are going to fit a longer front mud flat it needs to be flexible, some fit thin rubber or leather. Or you could just extend the existing flap by buyer another and connecting it with some rivets and washers
Cheers - what's the idea with the flexibility? I appreciate the existing one needs to be flexible to account for its width when folded, but I was hoping I'd get away with something skinnier and stiffer like the Fahrer effort offered by SJS. If it's not too bothersome I might try and pull the flap off one of my Longboards to trial fit, as I suspect this is the same as those offered in isolation by SKS..

Origamist

Legendary Member
@wafter

I think flattening them somewhat would be possible, but as I did not attempt this (and can't experiment as they're fixed to my frame) I can't be certain. However, given their price point it would not be an expensive foray into the shady world of Brompton mods.

I have the standard mudflap but a considerably longer front (non-Brompton) mudguard:

Screenshot_20230711_150711_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Talking about battle scars. I noticed a chip on my black lacquer paint job and I can't find touch up paint anywhere. I've gone to the Brompton website and I know the correct number but I can only find a touch up paint made by Condor. They want $50 for one tiny bottle after tax and shipping which is outrageous and they don't even have it in stock right now. Does anyone know of another source of touch up paint for black lacquer that is available and not a complete rip-off?

Top Bottom