Signs you are doing well financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do you believe them likely to end up on disability benefits in their 60's?

I know many people in their 60's, including myself, still with very good health, and intending working for a good few years yet.

When I was working there were people who couldn't use the stairs to the office as they were too unfit.
I think their only exercise was walking to and from the car.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Plan financially.
Save before spending.
Live within your means.

These are very simple bits of advice that anyone could come up with, regardless of their own financial standing.
And similarly, this thread has contained a qty of useful information/advice, and very little boasting.

If you want vulgar displays of money, go to Facebook to see people almost literally shouting "LOOK AT ME!!!!".
Thankfully, there are not so many FB-type attitudes on Cyclechat.

Oh, and if anyone thinks all Cyclechatters are loaded, they haven't been paying attention.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm not sure where I'd place us.
We're both working more-or-less part-time, but pension income covers the day-to-day living expenses.
The car is a 2015 308 SW with 90000 miles on it. Still goes well. When we replace it, we'll probably go electric.
No debts, no mortgage, tend not to regularly go on expensive holidays.
We do spend most of December / January with rellies in NZ, but the main cost there is flights.
No loaded by any means, but living within our means is pretty comfortable.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
For members who are interested in either managing their own money better, or who are trying to help friends or family members do so, here is a comprehensive resource library by Nischa on YT:

https://youtube.com/@nischa?feature=shared

Some great advice, and also thoughts about our relationship with money, from someone who clearly is very financially literate.

icowden

Veteran
We are at what's commonly known as the midlife "squeeze". Good income but large expenditure (mostly child related). We have a 2 year breathing space now due to advance fee payment, but then it's 6th form for the younger daughter and probably Uni for the older. 5 more years until the pressure drops a bit. All of this is of course our own fault but it's well worth it. Older daughter has just got a crop of excellent GCSE results and is now getting her first Saturday job. All steps to independence.

All of this bolstered by a large mortgage debt, and there are some credit card debts as well. There is also the option in a few years of moving house and reducing the mortgage. We shall see...

Gillstay

Über Member
My butler said that a sign you are doing well is a pair of properly shined shoes on the feet.

Its a devil when you have to do it yerself cos he's no good at it though.^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've been thinking about the idea that celebrating one's good situation is bragging.

It's important to me to recognise that, while I have worked hard for 40+ years much of my present comfortable life is also because I was very lucky; good parents, good state education, relatively prosperous country, the opportunity to work abroad, English as mother tongue, NHS and lots more.

Gunk

Guru
Plan financially.
Save before spending.
Live within your means.

These are very simple bits of advice that anyone could come up with, regardless of their own financial standing.
And similarly, this thread has contained a qty of useful information/advice, and very little boasting.

If you want vulgar displays of money, go to Facebook to see people almost literally shouting "LOOK AT ME!!!!".
Thankfully, there are not so many FB-type attitudes on Cyclechat.

Oh, and if anyone thinks all Cyclechatters are loaded, they haven't been paying attention.

I however have always adopted the George Best school of fiscal planning

”I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered“

Jameshow

Veteran
I've been thinking about the idea that celebrating one's good situation is bragging.

It's important to me to recognise that, while I have worked hard for 40+ years much of my present comfortable life is also because I was very lucky; good parents, good state education, relatively prosperous country, the opportunity to work abroad, English as mother tongue, NHS and lots more.

Not to mention a few other things...
A scattering of brain cells..
A good work ethic..
A good choice of partner...

gbb

Legendary Member
Not to mention a few other things...
A scattering of brain cells..
A good work ethic..
A good choice of partner...
And that's a recipe all over the world I guess, plus as All Uphill (and myself) says, good luck.
We have a very multinational workforce with plenty of people from all over the world in at least middle management jobs. No-one lasts, British or otherwise....if at least the work ethic and brain cells aren't there, you soon get found out.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
And that's a recipe all over the world I guess, plus as All Uphill (and myself) says, good luck.
We have a very multinational workforce with plenty of people from all over the world in at least middle management jobs. No-one lasts, British or otherwise....if at least the work ethic and brain cells aren't there, you soon get found out.

Good that's the case in your organisation.

I worked in one organisation where the requirements were:

Turn up on time looking respectable.
Agree with the boss.
Do the basics of your job tolerably well.
Don't show up your colleagues by working quickly, volunteering for extra work or make positive suggestions.

I didn't last long :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom