Signs you are doing well financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As my maid bathed me in milk and honey after my ride today, she remarked that a sign of doing well is being in the position to have a yearly bath whether you need it or not.

Last edited:
Shopping in Aldi because you genuinely like some of the stuff, and you needed a new arc welder / kayak / chainsaw anyway, not because it's either do that or starve in the cold and dark.

Their bog standard corned beef is *really* nice. Prefer it over the Tesco corned beef. The fact that it's significantly cheaper doesn't come into it, it's genuinely a better product.

Plus, the cat likes it, soooo...

simongt

Guru
all that would be happening is bragging.
Unfortunately, that's pretty much all my 48 yr. old son does; brags about himself / partner / situation / job / who he knows / etc., etc..
A clone of his mother, but I haven't told him.....yet, as he latterly hated her. :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think cycling to work just is the pinnacle. You could drive, you don't. You can freely spend all that horrible fuel/electron money on the bike. Your commuter bike is possibly the best in the shed. People look at you weird as you have the money, but still cycle like a poor peasant.

There is another thread about inverse snobbery. This would be a great example of it.

Last edited:
I think cycling to work just is the pinnacle. You could drive, you don't. You can freely spend all that horrible fuel/electron money on the bike. Your commuter bike is possibly the best in the shed. People look at you weird as you have the money, but still cycle like a poor peasant.

A colleague of mine lived a mile away from work. Would have been a nice 20 minute walk in.

She took her range rover and with traffic that was perhaps ten minutes faster - if that.

She didn't make retirement age. Very overweight and unfit.

simongt

Guru
Their bog standard corned beef is *really* nice.
This is like buying expensive butter. If, as I do you use it simply to lubricate the bread / toast, then cover it with marmalade, jam, slices of meat etc., you aren't going to taste the butter anyway - ! :laugh:
Unless you put the butter on really thickly - ! :rofl:

This is like buying expensive butter. If, as I do you use it simply to lubricate the bread / toast, then cover it with marmalade, jam, slices of meat etc., you aren't going to taste the butter anyway - ! :laugh:
Unless you put the butter on really thickly - ! :rofl:

Their corned beef is well-seasoned and not too lean - which is a major failing with most (non-canned) corned beef.

I buy own brand butter. Although I *do* currently have a job lot of Lurpack block butter in my fridge that I bought on yellow sticker at 67p a block...

Reactions: gbb

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Perhaps the majority of CC members are either in well-paid jobs or happily retired on generous pensions, but it does make me wonder where all the poor people are.
It's all relative: I'm poor compared to (for example) @Drago, but I'm in the same situation: I can eat out where I like, I have paid off my mortgage, I save regularly.
A forum for people who cycle for fun isn't going to be the kind of thing people on zero hours contracts using clapped out Halford specials to get to work will have interest in.
Ahem ... see @Pale Rider's post below :whistle:
Careful, one of our moderators is on a zero hours contract, which he/she says suits her/him quite well, although I think her/his commuter bike is a bit better than a Halford's special.
Well done for remembering! Alas, I lost that job due to Corona (I was in hospitality), now I work as a cleaner for the NHS ... on a permanent contract!
Yes, my commuter is a Genesis disk, hydro brakes, (admittedly bought on sale :laugh:), even got a Brooks saddle (bought from a member on here), and even 2 sets of Ortlieb panniers (one bought second hand on Ebay).
Recently, I have bartered (it's the new thing), an Ortlieb rucksack/messenger bag for 2 bottles of coke.
One can have "stuff" without paying market prices for it.
I know a couple of people in a similar position, so it would be wrong to assume a worker on a zero hours contract is an outward sign of them not doing very well.
I almost had paid my mortgage off on a zero hour contract, until Corona virus struck.
I bought 4 bikes, more accessories that I could ever use, maintained 2 cats, saved enough that I was OK when I couldn't find work for almost 2 years.
Back on topic, signs that you are doing well financially:
I can afford to spend my own money buying plants and compost to brighten up my housing estate's communal green areas.
My cats get regular vet checks.
I still buy lots of cheese.
I can (and do) refuse overtime ^_^

Slick

Guru
It's all relative: I'm poor compared to (for example) @Drago, but I'm in the same situation: I can eat out where I like, I have paid off my mortgage, I save regularly.

Well done for remembering! Alas, I lost that job due to Corona (I was in hospitality), now I work as a cleaner for the NHS ... on a permanent contract!
Yes, my commuter is a Genesis disk, hydro brakes, (admittedly bought on sale :laugh:), even got a Brooks saddle (bought from a member on here), and even 2 sets of Ortlieb panniers (one bought second hand on Ebay).
Recently, I have bartered (it's the new thing), an Ortlieb rucksack/messenger bag for 2 bottles of coke.

I almost had paid my mortgage off on a zero hour contract, until Corona virus struck.
I bought 4 bikes, more accessories that I could ever use, maintained 2 cats, saved enough that I was OK when I couldn't find work for almost 2 years.
I can afford to spend my own money buying plants and compost to brighten up my housing estate's communal green areas.

Nirvana Pat, enjoy. :okay:

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Nice post. :notworthy:

Mike_P

Guru
Their bog standard corned beef is *really* nice. Prefer it over the Tesco corned beef. The fact that it's significantly cheaper doesn't come into it, it's genuinely a better product.

Plus, the cat likes it, soooo...

Aldi and Lidl prices are lower due to the fact they only stock one version of an item whereas Tesco etc stock numerous different brands of an item in various different sizes. As such their suppliers know the product will sell in greater quantity and can therefore offer it a lower price. Aldi were pretty annoyed over Sainsbury's price matching as the quality of the Sainsbury's goods was, in Aldi's opinion, not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom