Signs you are doing well financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never attended any form of reunion. I prefer to look forward, rather than back. Of course, at 76yo, there is much more "back" than "forward" ;)

I have only encountered one school friend in my adult life, that was when I moved into my current house, only to find that a school friend lived in the next street, in a similar house.

You do not have to choose between looking forward or back (except at the same time, of course). There is a time for both.

(At the risk of being accused of boasting on this thread) I must have been a very lucky kid in that I loved my school days, and liked almost all my schoolmates. My best friend is still the kid I first met on our first day in junior school, and sharing so many experiences over the years is still a source of pleasure. At the reunions I found that I still liked those I did in school, including the women, and a couple of those who were a*seholes bitd had actually improved with age.

I would not go to any more reunions however because mixing alcohol with Zimmer frames can only end in trouble.

Last edited:
I've been extremely lucky with my career, being able to fund my daughters Uni fees here in the US. There was no way we wanted her to start her adult life after Uni with $200k in debt.

There is a very different measure of success here in the US compared to the UK, where many people here seemingly spending well outside their means with the expectation that the money will come eventually and their debts will be cleared. The acceptance of debt here to fuel a successful life is, I think, crazy, with folks I know spending 50% of their income each month repaying car loans to have that Tesla. I had to carefully explain to a mate a while back that I didn't want to pay $500 for bottle of wine at dinner. He didn't know whether I could or could not afford it, but figured as it's going on the credit card I can pay it off eventually. I think he was just trying to impress other folks at the table so he just went ahead and ordered the wine.

I'm trying to think how I've changed since being broke and living in Cornwall as a kid. I still save for stuff even though I technically don't have to, though these days I can save enough in months rather than years. I buy less poorly made stuff, raincoats that last a decade rather than just one winter, or boots that last a lifetime rather than a couple of years (aka Vimes). Oh and I totally ignore the family's limit on Christmas gift costs each year as I'd rather by something of value than plastic trinket that'll get chucked away.

A $500 bottle of wine wouldn't impress me, given that I don't drink. That aside, my Christmas gifts tend to be edible and mostly home made, and those always go down well. So a jar of chutney or marmalade, a nice piece of cheese, a home baked bread... Far better than, as you say, a plastic trinket that'll be chucked away.

Alex321

Veteran
I have had work colleagues, past and present, who opt out of the pension scheme. This is madness, as they are forfeiting at least 13%, and usually 16%, employer contribution.

They say they'll just keep working. No they won't - they'll end up on disability benefit on their 60s while they wait for their state pension to start, and in both cases they'll be terribly poor.

Why do you believe them likely to end up on disability benefits in their 60's?

I know many people in their 60's, including myself, still with very good health, and intending working for a good few years yet.

Alex321

Veteran
Mmm, quite a few rather smug posts on here along the lines of 'I don't like to boast but we're doing bloody well'.

Perhaps the majority of CC members are either in well-paid jobs or happily retired on generous pensions, but it does make me wonder where all the poor people are.

To read this thread, you wouldn't think the country was in a cost of living crisis.

The stories of those who are struggling would be much more interesting, but I guess if there are such people on CC they won't be inclined to post about it.
The thread is titled "Signs you are doing well financially".

The stories of those who are struggling may be more interesting (not sure why), but you wouldn't really expect them in this thread.

gbb

Legendary Member
The thread is titled "Signs you are doing well financially".

The stories of those who are struggling may be more interesting (not sure why), but you wouldn't really expect them in this thread.

Only if your mind interprets it that way.

If you find it 'not a very nice read', then I think you need to look at yourself rather.

With hindsight, one of my posts could well have come across as smug, certainly not my intention but perhaps poorly put across. It made me remember, smugness, boasting, bragging was always sneered at and you could argue quite rightly, I inadvertently dipped a toe in that direction. It always was poor form if intentional.

Your comment 'only if you interpret it that way ' illustrates how you can inadvertently fall foul...because we all read stuff differently. I remember this kind of stuff used to be much worse in my younger years, perhaps when people had far less.

Talking about money, like religion or politics, always could ellicit a bad response.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Why do you believe them likely to end up on disability benefits in their 60's?

I know many people in their 60's, including myself, still with very good health, and intending working for a good few years yet.
There are next to no over-60s in the office from about 3,000 workers. It's also a sedentary job and most people doing it are overweight.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A sure sign you are doing well is -

There’s fresh fruit in the bowl and no one is ill.

Or

You get out the bath to go for a wee.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
You do not have to choose between looking forward or back (except at the same time, of course). There is a time for both.

(At the risk of being accused of boasting on this thread) I must have been a very lucky kid in that I loved my school days, and liked almost all my schoolmates. My best friend is still the kid I first met on our first day in junior school, and sharing so many experiences over the years is still a source of pleasure. At the reunions I found that I still liked those I did in school, including the women, and a couple of those who were a*seholes bitd had actually improved with age.

I would not go to any more reunions however because mixing alcohol with Zimmer frames can only end in trouble.

Well, that is another reason for not going. One of my Pals, (an avid reunion attendee) recently began very depressed when he attended one of his former employment reunions only find there were only 3, including himself, still alive, out of 60+.

I too enjoyed school, and, enjoyed every job I had, but, I have no desire to go back. Personal choice reigns. ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
really? What a strange response, also slightly insulting as you don’t even know me.

I get what Alex us trying to say (if I have his sentiment right)...I put in a post about my curcumstances, admittedly a bit clumsy, that elicited a negative response. I didn't mean it as bragging or boasting and never would...but nevertheless it was interpreted as such, but importantly, those with the negative responses don't know me either...its a two way street. We all read stuff slightly differently and I think we should consider this when or before posting.

This discussion just goes to show how careful you have to be with your words, it's a very emotive subject.

Alex321

Veteran
really? What a strange response, also slightly insulting as you don’t even know me.

Just saying that given the thread title, you can expect most posts to be ones indicating that people are doing well, and if you find that to be "not a very nice read", you are IMO reading things into posts that just aren't there that I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom