Signs you are doing well financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
2nd bit is true but not the first.

The world we live in isn't build on being satisfied or happy with the status quo. I know some people are comfortable with the thought human civilisation would be in a better place is we had stayed living in caves and trees, but I'm not one of them.

There are no end of proverbs/quotes from our civilisations most recognised pioneers, Edison, Einstein etc all essentially urging us to be inquestive, explore, and not be defeated by failure.

Some have literally given their lives to challenge existing ignorance

"But the Earth does move!" Is on Galleos tomb.

The biggest mistake I think is to link finances with 'success', we should be judged based on our actions and achievements versus money. The two are linked, but the correlation isn't 100%, not even close. We should teach our children to dream big not for money but for ideology, but inevitably the dream becomes inseparable from money :sad:.

The fact there is a 'money matters' section on this forum shows our obsession with something that in reality has no purpose in advancing our society. Why don't we have a section on 'success matters'?

You an still have ambition and humility. My daughter did very well in her GCSE she could go round telling people what she got and end up annoying her friends / upsetting her brother, however a better way is to be humble and be happy without the need for bragging.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Could be driving a Range Rover or Escalade is a sign, but then it's probably on lease, if not you're a drug dealer.

Or like mine: bought and paid for from honest toil, but (relatively) ancient and kept in good nick.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Why don't we have a section on 'success matters'?
Or "doing good things for others"
"Acts of kindness"

But that would be frowned on as virtue signalling, when, in reality my experience is that most people are helpful and kind to others most of the time. That is what I admire.

I have family with links to the USA who see life totally in terms of success- sporting, academic and financial. You would not want to be sat next to them on a train.

You an still have ambition and humility. My daughter did very well in her GCSE she could go round telling people what she got and end up annoying her friends / upsetting her brother, however a better way is to be humble and be happy without the need for bragging.

Should people doing well for themselves, financially or in exams, not tell people. Or just talk about it when asked?

As in most situations it is not what you say, but how you say it, and sometimes who you say it to, that can turn something perfectly natural into a boast.

Perhaps this thread should have been titled "signs you are not doing well financially" and then we could have had a go at people whining or showing false modesty rather than boasting.

icowden

Veteran
Should people doing well for themselves, financially or in exams, not tell people. Or just talk about it when asked?
I think it's situation. Most of the time it's polite not to brag. If I was going back to a school reunion all that would be happening is bragging.

I think it's situation. Most of the time it's polite not to brag. If I was going back to a school reunion all that would be happening is bragging.

I've been to a couple of reunions. Everyone reverted to the characters they were in school, remembered the bullsh*tters, and would have taken the p*ss out of anyone who looked as if they were bragging.

And racking up a massive drinks tab if it's being split between the attendees. A real arse if you're teetotal and all you've had is a glass of pepsi and a cup of tea.

I haven't been to a reunion for over 20 years. Am still in touch with the small handful of people I want to be in touch with, and the rest of my year mates can go and stick it. They're still the unpleasantly obnoxious and bullying bunch they were thirty something years ago.

I've been extremely lucky with my career, being able to fund my daughters Uni fees here in the US. There was no way we wanted her to start her adult life after Uni with $200k in debt.

There is a very different measure of success here in the US compared to the UK, where many people here seemingly spending well outside their means with the expectation that the money will come eventually and their debts will be cleared. The acceptance of debt here to fuel a successful life is, I think, crazy, with folks I know spending 50% of their income each month repaying car loans to have that Tesla. I had to carefully explain to a mate a while back that I didn't want to pay $500 for bottle of wine at dinner. He didn't know whether I could or could not afford it, but figured as it's going on the credit card I can pay it off eventually. I think he was just trying to impress other folks at the table so he just went ahead and ordered the wine.

I'm trying to think how I've changed since being broke and living in Cornwall as a kid. I still save for stuff even though I technically don't have to, though these days I can save enough in months rather than years. I buy less poorly made stuff, raincoats that last a decade rather than just one winter, or boots that last a lifetime rather than a couple of years (aka Vimes). Oh and I totally ignore the family's limit on Christmas gift costs each year as I'd rather by something of value than plastic trinket that'll get chucked away.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I have never attended any form of reunion. I prefer to look forward, rather than back. Of course, at 76yo, there is much more "back" than "forward" ;)

I have only encountered one school friend in my adult life, that was when I moved into my current house, only to find that a school friend lived in the next street, in a similar house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom