London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It's a mystery to me why some people are so keen on LEL
I've enjoyed so many books and blogs about LEL and other endurance cycling events & experiences, it's something I want to experience myself. Would be a dream come true to finish LEL.
but no other long rides such as PBP. To the point they'd rather miss out on the LEL ballot and ride none of them.
Eh? I'm sure every applicant to LEL will have plenty of "other long rides" in mind, for practice and training purposes.
I'd rather not be dependent on the ballot for a place, but I wasn't able to volunteer previously, and haven't had qualifying membership, so the ballot is my only way to get a place in 2025.
And I do heartily recommend LEL, just to be clear :smile:
Great, good to hear. If my Jan'25 ballot application is unsuccessful, I will be able to guarantee a 2029 place.

Polecat

Maybe cos' 'tis in UK? Smooth roads, considerate drivers, low chance of precipitation, headwinds or high temperatures; Dutch mountains, Yad Moss, welcoming controls without a cash desk for either food or beds, smooth registration with zero queues ( ;) ) 'free' drop bags to wherever you want (one in England, one in Scotland), option to start properly in the centre of London town, no support vehicles disrupting things, . . .

Friends of mine who have ridden both LEL and PBP say the quality of support at LEL plus much nicer scenery is a major attraction, but the road-side support from the French and the iconic nature of PBP makes it an essential event for randonneurs. I don't imagine that will ever change.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Friends of mine who have ridden both LEL and PBP say the quality of support at LEL plus much nicer scenery is a major attraction, but the road-side support from the French and the iconic nature of PBP makes it an essential event for randonneurs. I don't imagine that will ever change.
Agree: having ridden both; both are bucket list rides (for the reasons you give and many more), for the enduring randonneur, and to repeat if able. Both have 'scenery' ;)
It's just more noticeable in northern England and in the Scottish borders, riding south.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sir,
I appreciate your input, and respect your views.
But:

Please have some manners and don't part-quote me in a way that totally distorts my statement. I can't be bothered with dissecting your post in a similar fashion, but rest assured I stand by what I wrote - in its entirety.

x

I've just read your quoted post in its entirety. I didn't understand it when I first saw it, and I still do not understand it. But that's probably my problem because I don't know the ins and outs of registering for these mega rides.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

+1 to this.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Sir,
I appreciate your input, and respect your views.
But:

Please have some manners and don't part-quote me in a way that totally distorts my statement. I can't be bothered with dissecting your post in a similar fashion, but rest assured I stand by what I wrote - in its entirety.

x
Still not clear on your exact meaning, nor who it was aimed at, but I'm not interested in an argument.
I do appreciate the LEL/PBP recommendation from you and others.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's a mystery to me why some people are so keen on LEL, but no other long rides such as PBP. To the point they'd rather miss out on the LEL ballot and ride none of them. But then cycling is a broad church, and I've grown used to other people thinking differently to me!
And I do heartily recommend LEL, just to be clear :smile:

It's the same in running runners are desperate to run the London marathon to the exclusion of so many other great races!
Ditto three peaks or utmb.

It's the same in running runners are desperate to run the London marathon to the exclusion of so many other great races!

Yeah.
I can sort of understand the London Marathon dominance, because it is SOOOOO much bigger, historic, and higher profile than everything else.

Is UTMB a bit of an outlier here, in that - like Ironman - it's now a commercial thing? I've seen a lot of discontent on Runners' Twitter recently about it, people saying "screw UTMB, let's race something that doesn't have a monopoly".
Sorry, massive diversion from LEL. And Audax. And cycling ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

There are a ton of alternatives if you want to run a Marathon. When I was running I did the New Forest as I never fancied London. On the other hand a friend of mine who is a runner enters the London ballot unsuccessfully every year and has done so for years. He has no real interest at all in doing a Marathon elsewhere.

But for these really big over 1000km audaxes what else is there apart from PBP & LEL?

Genuine question - what are the other events in this class? Wild Atlantic Way?

Just idle curiosity. I peaked with 400km a few years ago. I couldn't even manage that now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yeah.
I can sort of understand the London Marathon dominance, because it is SOOOOO much bigger, historic, and higher profile than everything else.

Is UTMB a bit of an outlier here, in that - like Ironman - it's now a commercial thing? I've seen a lot of discontent on Runners' Twitter recently about it, people saying "screw UTMB, let's race something that doesn't have a monopoly".
Remaining OT: Raced the first London marathon: lucky in the ballot for a place. Didn't make the top 100.
And for @Jameshow I've raced 8 Three Peaks races: the proper 'green' sort: Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis, sailing from one access port to the next.
Ironman bought UTMB recently so, yes, all the races they 'own' are commercial: and CC cyclists think sportives are expensive (for what they are)!?
To a marginal extent ACP with PBP work the same model as IM and UTMB: require an athlete (!) to complete qualifying events/races (in a decent position for the UTMB and for the IM soi disant 'World Champs' (Nice or Kona)). The difference is commercial: the entry fees for IMWC are extraordinarily high - and people pay it so they can tell you (in case you don't ask) that they have 'done' Kona.
But (scrabbling back on thread) PBP and LEL fees are sensible and roughly set to achieve a minimal surplus of income over expenditure: proper value for money.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yeah.

Deffo commercial the London marathon of trail running.

Jameshow

Veteran
Remaining OT: Raced the first London marathon: lucky in the ballot for a place. Didn't make the top 100.
And for @Jameshow I've raced 8 Three Peaks races: the proper 'green' sort: Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis, sailing from one access port to the next.
Ironman bought UTMB recently so, yes, all the races they 'own' are commercial: and CC cyclists think sportives are expensive (for what they are)!?
To a marginal extent ACP with PBP work the same model as IM and UTMB: require an athlete (!) to complete qualifying events/races (in a decent position for the UTMB and for the IM soi disant 'World Champs' (Nice or Kona)). The difference is commercial: the entry fees for IMWC are extraordinarily high - and people pay it so they can tell you (in case you don't ask) that they have 'done' Kona.
But (scrabbling back on thread) PBP and LEL fees are sensible and roughly set to achieve a minimal surplus of income over expenditure: proper value for money.

I wouldn't mind sailing the three peak sounds fun!

Top Bottom