London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If my inbox and facebook messenger messages are any indication, it's going to be very heavily subscribed, as it was in 2017.
:welcome: Should still be able to fit all the stuffed bags in serried ranks A-AK and BA-BH in the same square meterage (ie a gym or similar) as at Loughton. And 'no', not on b****y canes. Drop bag return marquee worth having one additional 3m section (ie longer) so the returned bags can all be stored under cover (we were lucky it did not rain Thursday/Friday).

D

Deleted member 121159

If my inbox and facebook messenger messages are any indication, it's going to be very heavily subscribed, as it was in 2017.

Any thoughts on the point about equitable supply of food at controls to all riders? What changes if at all will be made in 2025 to ensure this?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think Danial has this issue as one to grasp/grip and give controllers a clear message that the tail needs maybe more TLC (and food) than the bulge.

Any thoughts on the point about equitable supply of food at controls to all riders? What changes if at all will be made in 2025 to ensure this?
My thoughts are: planning will decide the number of riders that the event (in particular the controls) can cope with (and this is primarily a catering limitation) and entry numbers designed accordingly.
What sort of changes had you in mind?
Was there enough and variety of food in Louth for you this time?

Ajax Bay

Guru
What other strategy would you advise, @matticus , to me or others? Integrating 1700 individuals behaviours for the common good (sufficient food variety and availability for all) seems to me to be a wicked problem.
I shall try to find the bulge progression animation which a clever person generated from the 2022 event.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w...0gQKJw5nspmvHzT1wYJLW-oDhHxknk484RPxHug=w2400
In 2017 there were riders starting at 6am: I started at 12 (so with about 800 in front) and rode 310km in 13 hours before a 5 hour sleep stop: scarcely "sprinting" YMMV. Then 18 hours, 15 hours, 16 hours and fishing [edit 🎣 ]with 16 hours on Days 2345.
One change which Danial is making for 2025 is that there will be no fast cyclists (time limit 100 hours) get the first starts regime. I'm not sure what effects that might have but I'm sure a few clever people have modelled it.
I guess LEL could be run as an Audax (as opposed to a randonnée) and gruppettos of 50 (say) riding 15 minutes apart to a 18kph schedule with a set 30 minutes stop at every control, and a set 6 hour stop post sunset, for 5 days(!)
This board on another forum is worth mining for knowledge and insights to the planning for 2025:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=84.0
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=124194.0

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121159

My thoughts are: planning will decide the number of riders that the event (in particular the controls) can cope with (and this is primarily a catering limitation) and entry numbers designed accordingly.
What sort of changes had you in mind?
Was there enough and variety of food in Louth for you this time?

I've never ridden it but am tempted to try in 2025. Someone said there wasn't enough food?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The temptation going north to turn right to Innerleithen rather than the long way round via Moffat ... :whistle:

Note that the route will be mandatory.

Tribansman

Veteran
I think the problems were limited to a few controls at certain times only, when demand exceeded the anticipated capacity or certain supplies ran short. I think the organisers are well aware of this and are looking at how to learn the lessons for next time.

Yeah, that was my experience...I spent time at various points in the field, gradually gaining time over the last two days to finish in the top 300. I had a couple of issues at halfwayish, but even when most of the hot food was gone, there was still enough to fill up on and I was very well looked after by the volunteers who couldn't do enough for me.

Yes it's great if everything runs completely smoothly and we all know how emotional people can get when tired and hungry, but with an event like that, variable effort and energy is probably the only consistency. Chuck in the variable of the weather and I think in general the planning and provisions held up pretty well.

Always good if lessons could be learnt but don't think they need to be massive...from my experience on the ride anyway

D

Deleted member 121159

I think the problems were limited to a few controls at certain times only, when demand exceeded the anticipated capacity or certain supplies ran short. I think the organisers are well aware of this and are looking at how to learn the lessons for next time.

Yeah, that was my experience...I spent time at various points in the field, gradually gaining time over the last two days to finish in the top 300. I had a couple of issues at halfwayish, but even when most of the hot food was gone, there was still enough to fill up on and I was very well looked after by the volunteers who couldn't do enough for me.

Yes it's great if everything runs completely smoothly and we all know how emotional people can get when tired and hungry, but with an event like that, variable effort and energy is probably the only consistency. Chuck in the variable of the weather and I think in general the planning and provisions held up pretty well.

Always good if lessons could be learnt but don't think they need to be massive...from my experience on the ride anyway

Thanks for that

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What other strategy would you advise, @matticus , to me or others? Integrating 1700 individuals behaviours for the common good (sufficient food variety and availability for all) seems to me to be a wicked problem.
I shall try to find the bulge progression animation which a clever person generated from the 2022 event.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w...0gQKJw5nspmvHzT1wYJLW-oDhHxknk484RPxHug=w2400
In 2017 there were riders starting at 6am: I started at 12 (so with about 800 in front) and rode 310km in 13 hours before a 5 hour sleep stop: scarcely "sprinting" YMMV. Then 18 hours, 15 hours, 16 hours and fishing [edit 🎣 ]with 16 hours on Days 2345.
One change which Danial is making for 2025 is that there will be no fast cyclists (time limit 100 hours) get the first starts regime. I'm not sure what effects that might have but I'm sure a few clever people have modelled it.
I guess LEL could be run as an Audax (as opposed to a randonnée) and gruppettos of 50 (say) riding 15 minutes apart to a 18kph schedule with a set 30 minutes stop at every control, and a set 6 hour stop post sunset, for 5 days(!)
This board on another forum is worth mining for knowledge and insights to the planning for 2025:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=84.0
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=124194.0

You're missing my point!

No matter ...

Top Bottom