London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In both 2017/2022 I elected to start in the last group, went round at a reasonably constant pace (after day 1 excitement of course), and finished with about 3hrs to spare both times. I realise that makes riders like me vulnerable to food shortages/choice at controls, and it's a difficult thing for the organisers/providers to manage, but at £489 I think it needs to be more than best intentions. In 2022 professional caterers were used (can't remember about 2017), so what will be different in 2025 to improve/ensure equity for all entrants?
So after your experiences in 2017, what lessons did you deduce, and what changes did you make to mitigate the risk for 2023? Sounds as if the answer is none.
Nevertheless, well done on completing (I oversaw your 2022 registration and return of your drop bags (unless posted)) but did not ride (new hip May 22)).
I entirely appreciate that 'the system/controls' powered mainly by volunteers but (in 2022 I think) all with contracted caterers with a measure of assured quality, ought to maintain decent food offering for the whole of the opening time. But it's not easy for the thin tail you choose to occupy: last start time and cruise round bumping on 'out of time' especially at the first control every morning (assume some hours of kip in darkness).
Think Danial has this issue as one to grasp/grip and give controllers a clear message that the tail needs maybe more TLC (and food) than the bulge.

Last edited:

viniga

Guru
Audax curious here and got a hit for LEL on social media. I'm fit and do a lot of relatively long solo rides of 100-200k and when I get a pass, am happy to ride on multiple consecutive days... but never done an actual Audax. I'm looking for a new challenge and this intrigues me. Is this a jump in too deep... my goal would be to complete within time nothing more.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@viniga - there's lots of time to get used to Audax rides before LEL. That'd get you working out how to manage controls, sort any kit/equipment issues with longer distances, etc

Have a look at Audax UK's events list and pick one, probably a 200km to start with.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On the basis of "a lot of 100-200km rides" this is by no means a 'jump in too deep'.
You have bags of time to ride a few randonnées" in the 16 months 'tween now and chance to register/enter (Jan 2025). I recommend that experience. Many ride an SR each year (200 300 400 600 averaging 15kph each ride, LEL is 1500+ so slower minimum speed) and I recommend that (for 2024 and in the spring early summer of 2025) if real life allows. Audax UK offers a complete calendar.
I was in a similar boat in 2015: bit of prep for an end-to-end, a 'nine-day' one (so averaging about 100 miles a day), and then 2016 SR (and failed 1000). Following year an SR, a 1000 and then LEL 2017.
Lots of knowledge on the Audax UK site.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Moving the control to Richmond was therefore not necessary

Surely that depends on whether Barnard Castle had a venue available to act as a suitable control in 2025? If it wasn’t, then almost certainly necessary. Control locations are not moved for fun. There’s not an infinite number of suitable options, without significantly changing the routing.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Surely that depends on whether Barnard Castle had a venue available to act as a suitable control in 2025? If it wasn’t, then almost certainly necessary. Control locations are not moved for fun. There’s not an infinite number of suitable options, without significantly changing the routing.

They do have a Specsavers though....!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Audax curious here and got a hit for LEL on social media. I'm fit and do a lot of relatively long solo rides of 100-200k and when I get a pass, am happy to ride on multiple consecutive days... but never done an actual Audax. I'm looking for a new challenge and this intrigues me. Is this a jump in too deep... my goal would be to complete within time nothing more.

Visit https://audax.uk and sign up for some audax rides and go from there. You’re likely already fit enough, the challenge of audax is rarely fitness, it mostly about managing all the other issues that pop up when you are averaging 300km or more a day, such as digestion and comfort issues.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Visit https://audax.uk and sign up for some audax rides and go from there. You’re likely already fit enough, the challenge of audax is rarely fitness, it mostly about managing all the other issues that pop up when you are averaging 300km or more a day, such as digestion and comfort issues.
I'm curious about Audax events, so will likely try one or two this autumn, no more than 200km each.
Reckon neck/shoulder comfort will be my biggest challenge, and 400km would be pushing things...

So maybe a new bike before going further afield!

Will have to look at fitting advice for endurance.

No, it's not a jump in too deep.

I've done a couple of LELs (with the aim of enjoying it and getting around within the cut-off) on the back of year-round commuting and weekend rides up to ~120-miles (damn you Eddington).

The key is the physical and mental endurance to do ~300km/day for ~5-days no matter what.

Are you mentally tough? It will help you a lot.

Try some audaxes, multi-day rides, do an SR etc if that's what you want (feel you need to do).

I never did (my audax count comes to 4), but we're all different.

Also remember that LEL is more glaudax than audax - you (mainly) just need to think about the riding.

Go for it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If you haven't got automatic entry for 2025's ride.
Then HERE'S some tips for the early entry ballot. Open November 3rd 2023.
Thanks for the heads-up.

LEL is a goal.
An absolutely ridiculous goal to have considered previously, but my care responsibilities are diminishing quickly and I'm confident about 2025.

But I've got a list of test events to consider in 2024 and hadn't planned on making any LEL decision until the main ballot opened in Jan 2025.,

Feels a bit premature to consider applying now, but if successful would be hugely excited, encouraged and motivated. That's gotta be worth something.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Feels a bit premature to consider applying now, but if successful would be hugely excited, encouraged and motivated. That's gotta be worth something.
And gives you a clear assured target to plan for, and time to grow beard, buy N+1, Carradice and spork, fit mudguards, complete SR. 100+km per week (average, and average >20kph) , with some longer rides here and there, and some riding in the dark would be reasonable planning criteria: for the six months to Easter.
Everyone who wanted a start slot got one in 2022. Was less easy in 2017. Who knows what the demand will be in Jan-Apr 2025.

Top Bottom