London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not planning for an 'equitable' supply of food - I'm planning for an abundance. From rider and volunteer feedback we've identified four or five issues, all easily solved:

- A cock up at Hessle and a bad decision made by me late Sunday night meant breakfast service at Hessle was unacceptably poor
- Low-grade catering from surly contractors at Malton, together with a delivery failure, meant the catering at the control was far below the standard we expected.
- Arrangements at Debden were way better than in 2017, but still not good enough and
- The (correctly) limited variety on offer at controls, while suitable for a rider visiting once or twice, is inadequate for a volunteer staying several days.
- Food deserts between controls.

All of these are lessons learned, and they are all accounted for in our plans for 25.

D

Deleted member 121159

I'm not planning for an 'equitable' supply of food - I'm planning for an abundance. From rider and volunteer feedback we've identified four or five issues, all easily solved:

- A cock up at Hessle and a bad decision made by me late Sunday night meant breakfast service at Hessle was unacceptably poor
- Low-grade catering from surly contractors at Malton, together with a delivery failure, meant the catering at the control was far below the standard we expected.
- Arrangements at Debden were way better than in 2017, but still not good enough and
- The (correctly) limited variety on offer at controls, while suitable for a rider visiting once or twice, is inadequate for a volunteer staying several days.
- Food deserts between controls.

All of these are lessons learned, and they are all accounted for in our plans for 25.

Really good to hear that these points were identified and accounted for.

robjh

Legendary Member
Do you work in PR?!!

I trust you wish @robjh to infer this to be complimentary.

Sounded v professional!
No, no PR experience!

I volunteered at one of the controls last year and heard a lot of the stories, then and from other riders since. I also know some of the people involved in the organisation and know that they take the problems seriously, although to be fair absolute perfection will never be achieved.

I'd say that at our control, catering looked pretty good most of the time until we got really stretched at the height of the bulge on the way south when choice and portion sizes got smaller for those unlucky enough to arrive at those times. The flip side of that was seeing hotplate trays of good food being thrown away when too much had been prepared at the wrong times. We had professional caterers who knew their food regs and there was nothing we could (legally) do.

D

Deleted member 121159

The early ballot opened about 20 mins ago. Have submitted my application :becool:

Wasn't lucky this time but there'll be another draw in Jan 25? Is that right?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Wasn't lucky this time
Same here, bad luck!
WEll done to anyone who was successful.

but there'll be another draw in Jan 25? Is that right?
Yes, no further applications until then, however as we are already deemed to be applicants, there's a button on the website to throw our names into the JAn25 hat now. Go to the Rider Area to find it, then you'll see this:
1699711988792.png

D

Deleted member 121159

Same here, bad luck!
WEll done to anyone who was successful.

Yes, no further applications until then, however as we are already deemed to be applicants, there's a button on the website to throw our names into the JAn25 hat now. Go to the Rider Area to find it, then you'll see this:
View attachment 713024

I entered the 2025 ballot. Looks like few people were selected in the first round. I was going to volunteer and enter in 2029, but now I'll have to wait until 2025 (!) to see if I get a place....

It's a mystery to me why some people are so keen on LEL, but no other long rides such as PBP. To the point they'd rather miss out on the LEL ballot and ride none of them. But then cycling is a broad church, and I've grown used to other people thinking differently to me!
And I do heartily recommend LEL, just to be clear :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe cos' 'tis in UK? Smooth roads, considerate drivers, low chance of precipitation, headwinds or high temperatures; Dutch mountains, Yad Moss, welcoming controls without a cash desk for either food or beds, smooth registration with zero queues ( ;) ) 'free' drop bags to wherever you want (one in England, one in Scotland), option to start properly in the centre of London town, no support vehicles disrupting things, . . .

Top Bottom