London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Route has been announced. A few changes from last year including a new start and finish point at Writtle just outside of Chelmsford. .

I have a guaranteed place due to my volunteer duties last year.

_nc_ohc=Zlm3ptvdLqgAX_z-1H-&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get a sore bum !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
WEW or CEC don't quite have the same ring to them, but not having to do London roads and traffic twice makes a lot of sense

good luck / enjoy / have fun

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The temptation going north to turn right to Innerleithen rather than the long way round via Moffat ... :whistle:

I'll have a guaranteed place via Audax UK but will need to be a lot fitter to even consider taking part.

They've introduced a series of new 'cafe' stops which imo is a good idea.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The temptation going north to turn right to Innerleithen rather than the long way round via Moffat ... :whistle:

I'll have a guaranteed place via Audax UK but will need to be a lot fitter to even consider taking part.

They've introduced a series of new 'cafe' stops which imo is a good idea.

I love the route from Moffat to Edinburgh. Stunning scenery.. though dependent on how one feels after so many miles in the legs. ^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I love the route from Moffat to Edinburgh. Stunning scenery.. though dependent on how one feels after so many miles in the legs. ^_^

I rode the Innerleithen to Edinburgh route a couple of months back, that is pretty damn stunning too! I had a lot less miles in the legs having started the day in Melrose :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
WEW or CEC don't quite have the same ring to them, but not having to do London roads and traffic twice makes a lot of sense
To be fair, starting and finishing in Loughton meant no 'London' roads and the exit/approach traffic (eg inside the M25) was benign.
Of course if a rider wanted to start in London, they could, early Sunday morning: totally optional (LA to LH iirc).
Pushing that far out from London (to Chelmsford) does seem to stretch the LEL moniker: the distance from la centre ville to Rambouillet is the same but a weak justification.
I am in the same boat as Ian, and, like any Audax UK (2022) member, have a 'guaranteed place'.
Having run 'physical' registration last year, for those new to this. reading this who want to ride in 2025: anyone who wanted to ride in 2022 could get a start and I expect the same in 2025, just.
Here's a RwGPS draft guess which is currently very rough: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44100693
Don't look now (if inaccuracy offends): I shall be polishing it in the weeks ahead.
Two years hence is a way ahead but I'd like to give it a second / one last shot.
The dog leg via Hawick does make it long but . . . the roads, lochs and glens that way are so much more attractive than the slog up // to the M74 to Moffat.
Will not miss the transit through Edinburgh and back (far more traffic even using the NCN than any London stuff), but will miss the Forth Road Bridge and its iconic neighbour.
Shame the grandeur of Barnard Castle School will not be part of it - that added to the 'experience' for our overseas guests..

Last edited:
I know it costs what it costs, but my biggest challenge for LEL-2025 will be getting my head around £489 vs the "sorry mate, only Rice Krispies left" experiences of 2017 and 2022 - for someone who likes to ride from the back.

At this cost of entry I think they need to do more to ensure everyone, whilst a control is open, gets near enough the same offering - we all pay the same.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The ever higher prices are partly to pay for more professional catering, although I see the stuff at the new intermediate stops will be charged for.

I appreciate it's an audax and @Ajax Bay's route is provisional, but it's hard to see how the riders can avoid passing through Barnard Castle.

Moving the control to Richmond was therefore not necessary, but I'm guessing the school there will have a greater capacity than the private 'Hogwarts' school in Barney.

I agree it's a pity not to go there because both the exterior and interior of the building is typical minor British public school and unique in its own way.

Prior to that school, which I think was only used in the last two editions, they used a typical state comprehensive, which is where I volunteered.

I'd recommend volunteering to anyone who isn't riding.

As not an audaxer at all, I wondered if I might feel left out, but not a bit of it.

Watching how it all works and running a 24/7 catering and sleeping operation was both fascinating and good fun.

I happened to be on shift when the Dutch guy who always wins (!) came through on the way up and back.

On the way back, he looked like he'd aged 10 years, which was an indication just how hard the ride is, particularly for those who are cracking on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I know it costs what it costs, but my biggest challenge for LEL-2025 will be getting my head around £489 vs the "sorry mate, only Rice Krispies left" experiences of 2017 and 2022 - for someone who likes to ride from the back.
At this cost of entry I think they need to do more to ensure everyone, whilst a control is open, gets near enough the same offering - we all pay the same.
I agree that the controls need to recognise and cater for arrivals late in their opening times. And that entry fee is budgeted to achieve that. Good controls manage that. Louth, Hessle and Malton on that Sunday night and Monday morning have the hardest task.
Not sure what you mean by "ride from the back"? Do you mean you like catching riders all through the ride? Or that you want to start late and stay behind the bulge? In 2025 there will be no 100 hour early starts: those A-F starts will be open to all. Secure one of those (but remember there's some 'start time gaming' necessary).
I rode a 200 (over Dartmoor) last month with an old friend who also recounted arriving at Hessle/Malton to minimal food in the early morning. I'd advised him not to kip at Louth, but that's what he did. Bad idea.
That first night is important: I mitigated the risk at the night 1 control (gory details of Pocklington in 2013) by booking a Travelodge north of the Humber. Arrived at 1am (13 hours riding), showered, slept like a baby for 4 hours in sheets, devices recharged, and on the road at 6am.
On feeding I (ahead of the bulge, deliberately by front loading my effort (and start at noon, and touch and go at St Ives after only 100km) had square meals at 18 controls - value for money. I bought some bananas in Pocklington town and a some Twixs in the garage at Alston (latter by chance allowed time to suck Hummers' wheel). Otherwise (besides £27 for the Sunday night room): zero expenditure on the road.

Last edited:
Or that you want to start late and stay behind the bulge?
Yes, primarily this.

In both 2017/2022 I elected to start in the last group, went round at a reasonably constant pace (after day 1 excitement of course), and finished with about 3hrs to spare both times.

I realise that makes riders like me vulnerable to food shortages/choice at controls, and it's a difficult thing for the organisers/providers to manage, but at £489 I think it needs to be more than best intentions.

In 2022 professional caterers were used (can't remember about 2017), so what will be different in 2025 to improve/ensure equity for all entrants?

If it's nothing, then it would be reasonable to assume the same issues in previous LELs will be repeated.

Jameshow

Veteran

That's the way of things ATM. Everything and especially events are going up in price.

If you have 500 customers they you ought to cater for that number and treat the he last rider the same as the first rider rather than offering leftovers and packing up before they have left. (a general view of events not LEL btw!)

Top Bottom