Living out my Grand Design dreams...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Rather you than me. Mortgage Free here, and have been since late 40's.

If we didn’t do the house build, we would be pretty much mortgage free before 45……..but than where’s the fun in life, watching £££££ build up isn’t half as exciting as doing something mad. Though watching £££££ disappear from the bank isn’t exactly ‘fun’ :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If we didn’t do the house build, we would be pretty much mortgage free before 45……..but than where’s the fun in life, watching £££££ build up isn’t half as exciting as doing something mad. Though watching £££££ disappear from the bank isn’t exactly ‘fun’ :smile:

I dunno, we rather enjoyed watching our stash pile up, especially when it really accelerated and took on a life of it's own.

It still continues to climb, albeit slower these days but...

...it's, in a way useless, as we really have little to spend it on. Good for the kids one day though.

Life can be strange - in the blink of an eye, or so it seems, we went from being potless to £'s very comfortable.

Great project btw & good luck with it. 👍

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
The well issues in now well resolved. Sadly it sat in the middle of new foundations, so the surveys/builders have done whats required. Building has also finally started.

Hopefully next few weeks we’ll start to see some walls appearing.

52850081639_c320cb399f_c_d.jpg

52858652670_7a0f4a893e_c_d.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I saw a article recently where a chap made a feature of a well - excavated it to expose the brick/stone, cleaned up, and now has a glass panel over it in his kitchen floor !

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Slower progress over the last week, as the steels guys have been to take measurements and now fabricating. Next week should see the first steels go in and than progress should be quicker.

I can however now see what the architect is trying to achieve with the front entrance hall. Once done, the dividing wall in the middle will be gone, instead there will be a lovely section of 4 meter wide and 1.5 story high glazing, which will line up a 3 meter wide set of sliding doors in back of the kitchen. So essentially light will be able to travel from the front to the back of the house uninterrupted :smile:.

52909899360_1f6f480ec0_k_d.jpg

52908934462_106e956603_k_d.jpg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Slower progress over the last week, as the steels guys have been to take measurements and now fabricating. Next week should see the first steels go in and than progress should be quicker.

I can however now see what the architect is trying to achieve with the front entrance hall. Once done, the dividing wall in the middle will be gone, instead there will be a lovely section of 4 meter wide and 1.5 story high glazing, which will line up a 3 meter wide set of sliding doors in back of the kitchen. So essentially light will be able to travel from the front to the back of the house uninterrupted :smile:.

View attachment 690402

View attachment 690403

Weeks like that are inevitable, unfortunately. Its amazing how quickly it will come together.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Common sense may not be a big part of this project, but I think there's a lot in it.

From the original pics, my first thought was 'fabulous site, shame about the house'.

It looked rather like a glorified pre-fab, particularly the part to the left.

I can also see the sense in keeping the part that is being kept, it was the best bit of the old house.

The new house will now live up to its location, although I agree with the poster who said an even Grander Design would have been to flatten the lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Sadly as much as I love quantitative easing there was/is a 'limit' to the budget. 20% extra cost on something that costs £300 is OK, 20% extra on £300k.......not so OK :smile:

Slick

Guru
It's been slow this month, main delay has been steels. But around 1/3 of the steels are in now, so hopefully some walls will start appearing soon.

View attachment 696059

It was always inevitable there would be periods where progress felt slow, you have the joy of feeling like the job is flying up when they start to fill that steel in. :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
In the main road where I live 2 recent builds one a timber frame new build shed ugly as ....

Second a renovation of the school caretakers bungalow with three roof windows and looks the business! Pity about noise next door!

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
In the main road where I live 2 recent builds one a timber frame new build shed ugly as ....

Second a renovation of the school caretakers bungalow with three roof windows and looks the business! Pity about noise next door!

Personally I don't mind new builds, it's more the surrounding. We went to have a look new build 5 mintues away recently for interior design inspirations. The inside was lovely, but this was the view out of the main bedroom....

52981103804_32d1ed2649_c_d.jpg

Versus what the view we have. The price/value difference between the two properties is essentially ZERO!!

52981331030_c2dbf682ea_c_d.jpg

Slick

Guru
Personally I don't mind new builds, it's more the surrounding. We went to have a look new build 5 mintues away recently for interior design inspirations. The inside was lovely, but this was the view out of the main bedroom....

View attachment 696128

Versus what the view we have. The price/value difference between the two properties is essentially ZERO!!

View attachment 696129

Spot on, and probably the biggest reason why Mrs Slick wanted to move again despite having a cracking house. Location, location, location. :okay:

Top Bottom