Living out my Grand Design dreams...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Steady progress last few weeks. Plan is to get glazing in and tiles on (so watertight) before Xmas. We’ve been binge watching Grand Designs to remind our selves how ‘small’ our project is compared to some. I suspect we are going to end up finishing 6 months late, which isn’t bad at all….

53370489601_78fdd36daf_k_d.jpg

The upstairs space is now looking fantastic, especially the new bedroom gable opening which will be glazed with full height alu frames. I’m almost tempted to not put in any studs walls and leave it as open as possible….Though that would be silly, as we cannot live in essentially one massive open plan house :laugh:

53310442762_62a7028bde_k_d.jpg

53370943090_2cd824ea00_k_d.jpg

The brief to the architect was originally to come up with a design that allow maximum views to the garden. I noticed the builders had put a chair just outside where the new bedroom gable is, and had to go out for a look…..All I can is the architect has 100% delivered open the brief :smile:.

53369587817_ffc82a4ab2_k_d.jpg

53370803279_f82e6e9387_k_d.jpg

Slick

Guru
Steady progress last few weeks. Plan is to get glazing in and tiles on (so watertight) before Xmas. We’ve been binge watching Grand Designs to remind our selves how ‘small’ our project is compared to some. I suspect we are going to end up finishing 6 months late, which isn’t bad at all….

View attachment 715262

The upstairs space is now looking fantastic, especially the new bedroom gable opening which will be glazed with full height alu frames. I’m almost tempted to not put in any studs walls and leave it as open as possible….Though that would be silly, as we cannot live in essentially one massive open plan house :laugh:

View attachment 715263

View attachment 715264

The brief to the architect was originally to come up with a design that allow maximum views to the garden. I noticed the builders had put a chair just outside where the new bedroom gable is, and had to go out for a look…..All I can is the architect has 100% delivered open the brief :smile:.

View attachment 715265

View attachment 715266

Looking great.

It will be nice to see that roof finished and watertight before the real weather starts. :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We’ve been binge watching Grand Designs to remind our selves how ‘small’ our project is compared to some. I suspect we are going to end up finishing 6 months late, which isn’t bad at all….

Most Grand Designs-ees end up bankrupt and divorced, so avoid that and you're doing OK. ^_^

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
We have windows and walls….of sorts :smile:

Original plan was to have all the glazing installed this week, but delays with the roofer meant scaffolding still everywhere, so rather than risk damaging expensive glass as the build carries on, the glazers installed what they could and rest will come probably end of Jan 2024.

Still what’s gone in looks good, and the view from the bedroom will be great (once the scaffolding is gone!).

Internal walls also appearing, first fix electric and plumbing will start soon.

Our builder is the eternal optimist, he still thinks we’ll be done by Easter 2024, I’m not so sure, as long as we are in before summer turns to autumn 2024 I’ll be happy! I can see now why Kevin McCloud talks about building sucking in the energy of their owners/builders etc, and why most sane people don’t try this kind of thing……..but where the fun in the life without a bit of insanity :smile:.

53399659781_b79e939fc0_k_d.jpg

53400090850_02859feb1e_k_d.jpg

53399848263_f2e9398960_c_d.jpg

53399848138_bc84d0256d_k_d.jpg

53398729962_bb6c877449_k_d.jpg

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Roof lights are in now, and the builders have boarded up the openings the glazers couldn't finish yet due to the scaffolding still been up.

Couldn't resist having a late lunch as I was coming back from work today. Getting really excited about the space now, bring on 2024 :smile:.

53415187697_82669d5c3c_c_d.jpg

53415187492_6f84011e0b_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Why didn't you just demolish and start again? Recently finished a cottage renovation, the inside is completely different but external walls the same.

Because the original plan was to 'Just' the original dormer bedroom bigger/usable, and than one thing lead to another :smile:.

If we had demolished and started again we wouldn't have end up with the same design, I'm almost certain we wouldn't have gone with a vaulted celling joining two atriums spanning the whole width of the house separated by a mezzanine corridor, which is by far the most interesting aspect of the design/build. So essentially we have rebuilt the house around a corridor, total madness, but what not :biggrin:.

53415187447_e19961e527_c_d.jpg

53416273308_efda8d7cc5_c_d.jpg

Slick

Guru
Because the original plan was to 'Just' the original dormer bedroom bigger/usable, and than one thing lead to another :smile:.

If we had demolished and started again we wouldn't have end up with the same design, I'm almost certain we wouldn't have gone with a vaulted celling joining two atriums spanning the whole width of the house separated by a mezzanine corridor, which is by far the most interesting aspect of the design/build. So essentially we have rebuilt the house around a corridor, total madness, but what not :biggrin:.

View attachment 716955

View attachment 716956

The first picture looks like a vaulted hip end, although it may be just the way the picture was taken.

Looks impressive. :thumbsup:

iandg

Legendary Member

View attachment 716955

View attachment 716956

Understand that. So many people said to us "it'll be cheaper to demolish and start again", but that wouldn't be an 18th(?) century cottage.

Top Bottom