Living out my Grand Design dreams...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
The reason why our projected build costs are so expensive is starting to be clear to me now. The glazing deposit is now down, looking at the quoted size, it's a phenomenal amount of glass.

This project started as wanting to have slightly bigger domer bedroom on a bungalow so we could get a better view of the garden. The result is we are now having a nearly 4 meter wide and over 3 meter heigh bit of glazing out of the bedroom! With same width window opening for the living below.

52829118355_00f49ec93e_c_d.jpg

The main entrance into the house is going from a simple door, to a 2 meter wide double set of doors inside a 4 meter wide and nearly 4.5 meter heigh bit of glazing. This new bit of front glazing is than lined up with a 2 meter wide single bit of glass at the back end of the house. So you can see the garden straight from the front end of the house.

We asked the architect to priorities views of the garden.....he has certainly done that!!!

52828141212_7c46d4dfab_c_d.jpg

But before any of the walls can be built, we have a well issue at the foot of the proposed front glazing......more £££££......

52827735496_d9270ce8a6_c_d.jpg

richardfm

Veteran
The reason why our projected build costs are so expensive is starting to be clear to me now. The glazing deposit is now down, looking at the quoted size, it's a phenomenal amount of glass.

This project started as wanting to have slightly bigger domer bedroom on a bungalow so we could get a better view of the garden. The result is we are now having a nearly 4 meter wide and over 3 meter heigh bit of glazing out of the bedroom! With same width window opening for the living below.

View attachment 686105

The main entrance into the house is going from a simple door, to a 2 meter wide double set of doors inside a 4 meter wide and nearly 4.5 meter heigh bit of glazing. This new bit of front glazing is than lined up with a 2 meter wide single bit of glass at the back end of the house. So you can see the garden straight from the front end of the house.

We asked the architect to priorities views of the garden.....he has certainly done that!!!

View attachment 686106

But before any of the walls can be built, we have a well issue at the foot of the proposed front glazing......more £££££......

View attachment 686107

Change the plans and utilise it as a water source to save on water bills 😀

Jameshow

Veteran

View attachment 686105

View attachment 686106

View attachment 686107

Well done!!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Time for the chap from Grand Designs to pop round and gasp at the budget overrun. :whistle:

only a couple of hours until they find the bones at the bottom of it and the police come and close the the whole site down, leading to the arrest of the former owner and your Mrs declaring she no longer want to live on the site of a murder....

CXRAndy

Guru
I share your shock of glazing costs. Having once had some quotes for a project which we abandoned. One piece of glass was £50k and the whole glazing would have cost more than £500k. :ohmy:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They are getting more reasonable in price now, but when they were a "new" thing, my OH was told you can either have bi-folds on the patio doors, or regular patio doors with panes either side and all the other windows in the house replaced....

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I spent a long (long, and quite expensive...) time at the planning/architect stage, incl. having a QS run a ruler over it all. We made a single change, at the request of the builder - who royally shafted himself as a result :whistle:

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Time for the chap from Grand Designs to pop round and gasp at the budget overrun. :whistle:

What’s a budget again?? :biggrin:

Beyond the point of caring now…….never seen five figure sum invoices get so little attention, just another one to add to the spread sheet. Off to the bank (literally) later.

Slick

Guru
The energy costs in producing glass is phenomenal right now. Glass was always expensive anyway, but its another level right now.

Top Bottom