Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
yeah that'd work better. I believe there's regulations as to whether one or two doors is needed between a loo and a kitchen.

i think you dont have to do that now according to the builder, and yes since we spoke to the builder we have thought about moving the door through to the kitchen.

cyberknight

I wouldn't like to have a loo in the corner of my lounge. What if somebody does a 'stinker' when you're trying to enjoy the TdF? xx(
On that layout I'd be looking at the kitchen end by the hall... but that'd mean loosing a window, and a lot of plumbing. Personally i don't think it's worth doing.

we did look at that but the drains means digging up the entire kitchen floor and routing everything behind the kitchen cupboards and a saniflo job .

cyberknight

updated the picture with layout of kitchen
Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
You may make the house difficult to sell with a toilet in the lounge area.

I know you said that it would cost a lot more, but an extension done well will add value to your property

gzoom

Über Member
You may make the house difficult to sell with a toilet in the lounge area.

I know you said that it would cost a lot more, but an extension done well will add value to your property

Having a toilet in the living would make it very hard to sell, it would put me off the property straight away.

If the toilet has to go there at least build a stud wall that goes all the way to the door so that it's a clear separate area from the living room. But which ever way you do it, even with an extension it means having to walk through either the kitchen or living room to access the toilet.

CXRAndy

Guru
i think you dont have to do that now according to the builder, and yes since we spoke to the builder we have thought about moving the door through to the kitchen.
Please speak with building control at your local council. The builder, with the best intentions is their to do a job and take your money. Get the building control to confirm in writing that what you propose meets current standards.

I've known instances' where the builder has said to customer get BC approval. Customer then tells said builder to get on with it, only to find out some years later it didn't meet regulations, because customer didn't seek advice.

It causes so many problems come selling time

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Please speak with building control at your local council. The builder, with the best intentions is their to do a job and take your money. Get the building control to confirm in writing that what you propose meets current standards.

I've known instances' where the builder has said to customer get BC approval. Customer then tells said builder to get on with it, only to find out some years later it didn't meet regulations, because customer didn't seek advice.

This is very good advice. I thought that current regulations don't allow a toilet area to open directly into a kitchen area. And personally I wouldn't want a toilet in the lounge either.

icowden

Veteran
You are normally right @CXRAndy but if there is a ceiling cap on values in the area, it is unlikely you would get your money back.
Is that actually a thing? I can see reference to a nominal ceiling price where you aren't likely to be able to get any more cash for a property above a certain level, but not an actual cap.

cyberknight

When the council were pricing there job a couple of years ago there surveyor said it was ok now

Is that actually a thing? I can see reference to a nominal ceiling price where you aren't likely to be able to get any more cash for a property above a certain level, but not an actual cap.
Not a strict cap but when you get a certain size and standard the price falls of a cliff and it’s cheaper to buy a bigger house instead of extending. Round me a 3bed is around £150-160k but a 4bed is £155k upwards. So makes more sense to get a 4 bed instead of extending as you are unlikely to get the price of a 4bed.

Top Bottom