Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit of an update, I'm now finishing the house to sell it. My new partner's kids are at school on the other side of town so it makes no sense being here anymore hence it'll be going on the market in the near future. There are still some jobs to do before then, but the flashing isn't one of them :okay: I had a roofer in earlier in the week so that job at least is ticked off the list...

20231018_170232.jpg

I've got the bits to finish the guttering too, should be done in the near future.

Also been busy in other areas - the new back door was fitted last week with the opening widened, much more light in the living room now...

20231013_140915.jpg

20231013_141153.jpg

Also made a lot of progress in the new downstairs loo with the subfloor finished, tiles down and loo and sink installed...

20231002_170322.jpg

20231003_134805.jpg

20231006_145704.jpg

The drainage isn't sorted yet but the water is all connected up so you could use it in an emergency, youd just have a mess to clean up outside afterwards :laugh:

The drainage currently run as far as the new vented stub stack ive fitted outside, next job is to pull up the patio and extend the drain round to it.

20231002_170338.jpg

So jobs remaining:

- dig a trench and extend sewer to new stub stack
- make good patio and finish side fence
- one kitchen wall unit to fit and a couple of unit doors to swap
- remaining kitchen tiles to grout on 2 walls
- tiling above sink in new downstairs loo
- under stair cupboard unit to finish
- storage cupboard studwork and plastering
- final decorating
- Tidy up the garden
- Sell it!

To be honest I've lost interest as I know I wont be here to enjoy the fruits of my labour. I've started making decisions based on cost rather than preference now so it won't be as I'd imagined when it's done but it should still be nice enough. I'll be glad to get it done and gone now so I can move on and start a fresh project with my new family :wub:

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for the update John, good to hear that you’ve met someone else and you’re moving on.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've ticked a few more jobs off the list... The drainage is now complete and signed off by building control :okay:

20240118_112603.jpg

I've been doing a few indoor jobs since then, with the studwork and plasterboard finished in the new storage cupboard, complete with access panel to get to the toilet cistern and plumbing inside the wall.

20240216_135734.jpg

I've also finished the understairs cupboard and TV unit - the doors and frames are made from 18mm MDF which I've primed and painted to match the walls. The shelf and top have been cut from an old pine tabletop I bought from a local furniture recycler to match the doors, I think it looks rather nice. I might consider something similar in our new house when we get one :laugh:

20240222_140839.jpg

So jobs remaining:

- lay patio and finish side fence (slabs and fence bits are now here so this job is imminent)
- one kitchen wall unit to fit and a couple of unit doors to swap
- remaining kitchen tiles to grout and one small section of plaster to repair
- storage cupboard plastering (I think I'll do this next)
- hall and loo skirting to fit
- final decorating (underway!)
- Tidy up the garden
- Sell it!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My earlier post spurred me on to do some work today, along with the fact that the weather was decent this afternoon, so I've put most of the fence up :okay:

20240227_134246.jpg

20240227_135512.jpg

20240227_140705.jpg

20240227_154311.jpg

20240227_154323.jpg

Good bit of progress, pleased with that! Theres a 50cm gap between old and new that still needs finishing off but thats a job for another day :smile:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thats an interesting hose arrangment

Thanks, it was much neater before I left it full of water last winter and had to repair it with odds and sods - it was only meant to be temporary but funny how temporary things that work become permanent when there are other jobs to be done :laugh:

I've made some progress today, got another post up and shifted a tonne or so of soil and hardcore. The ground is roughly level now, I'll go round and knock some pegs in the ground next to get a final level before sand and cement arrives on Thursday :okay:

All clear down the side...

20240304_154756.jpg

Still a dump round the back but with two tip slots booked tomorrow thats soon to change :smile:

20240304_154742.jpg

I had to relocate the little chap while I was clearing leaves :smile:

20240304_124937.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
- Sell it!

To be honest I've lost interest as I know I wont be here to enjoy the fruits of my labour. I've started making decisions based on cost rather than preference now so it won't be as I'd imagined when it's done but it should still be nice enough. I'll be glad to get it done and gone now so I can move on and start a fresh project with my new family :wub:

Was that always the plan? Would it have been easier to lower the price and sell - Everything will sell for the right price after all.

Must be hard doing all that work your self knowing you wouldn't be benefiting, but I suspect you have learnt lots of things for the 'proper' house to come :smile:.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As we are not moving we are waiting on quotes to install a downstairs toilet , due to layout of the house the only viable place to put it without spending ridiculous amounts in the lounge diner area at the back as the old outside toilet block that was knocked down still has the holes there .luckily our lounger is about 21 foot long and the space we would lose basically has the computer desk in so no big loss and maybe replace the 3 piece suite as its due for replacement with one with smaller arms as the one we have now i have never liked tbh as its just take up too much room.We could rebuild the outside block then add a conservatory /porch but that would mean borrowing a lot more and we can afford to do this with the extra i took out after clearing mrs ck debts .Cheaper than moving for sure !

EDIT
or would it be worth taking on a bit more on the mortgage and extending ?
planned placement is in red
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
View attachment 723604

I wouldn't like to have a loo in the corner of my lounge. What if somebody does a 'stinker' when you're trying to enjoy the TdF? xx(
On that layout I'd be looking at the kitchen end by the hall... but that'd mean loosing a window, and a lot of plumbing. Personally i don't think it's worth doing.

Just move the kitchen wall out slightly @MontyVeda and have the door opening into the kitchen at the expense of a little of the living room space ace.

Attachments

• IMG_6435.jpeg
    IMG_6435.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 11

Jameshow

Veteran
As we are not moving we are waiting on quotes to install a downstairs toilet , due to layout of the house the only viable place to put it without spending ridiculous amounts in the lounge diner area at the back as the old outside toilet block that was knocked down still has the holes there .luckily our lounger is about 21 foot long and the space we would lose basically has the computer desk in so no big loss and maybe replace the 3 piece suite as its due for replacement with one with smaller arms as the one we have now i have never liked tbh as its just take up too much room.We could rebuild the outside block then add a conservatory /porch but that would mean borrowing a lot more and we can afford to do this with the extra i took out after clearing mrs ck debts .Cheaper than moving for sure !

EDIT
or would it be worth taking on a bit more on the mortgage and extending ?
View attachment 723604

How about under the stairs??

Top Bottom