Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There used to be a cafe called the Red kite cafe. They used to have all sorts of birds there including owls. And they fed the red kites.

In Aber itself there is the castle which is quite good I understand.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't bother with holidays. I live in Mid Wales with fantastic scenery and places to visit so why go anywhere else and spend a fortune.

That was my father in law's attitude. He worked as a Forester in mid-wales (Caio forest for the last few years of his working life, before tht Ponrhydfendigaid, so my Wife went to school in Tregaron, and that is where they settled when they retired), and people used to come to stay in the nearby campsite. When he was asked how he could live somewhere so remote, his answer was "Where do you come for your holidays?"

Alex321

Veteran
I’m heading just south of Aberystwyth late aug, what is good round that way to see/worth an afternoon….I’ll have a toddler in tow…

Depends to an extent how far you want to travel, and just what stage of toddlerhood your child is at.

In Aber itself there is the cliff railway with the observatory at the top. Or you could head a bit North to Machynlleth and the Alternative Technology Centre. Or inland (a bit further) to Dolaucothi and the gold mine.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That was my father in law's attitude. He worked as a Forester in mid-wales (Caio forest for the last few years of his working life, before tht Ponrhydfendigaid, so my Wife went to school in Tregaron, and that is where they settled when they retired), and people used to come to stay in the nearby campsite. When he was asked how he could live somewhere so remote, his answer was "Where do you come for your holidays?"

Exactly. Why go anywhere when I have all this on my doorstep. People pay good money to come here. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
it used to be good to live on an island with seasonal visitors. Now we have tourists ad nauseam and life is getting difficult. Today for example I cannot take my car to go to the pharmacy to collect medication as I will probably not be able to park there and when I return home I will not be able to park near my house. I do have a blue badge as I cannot walk far but that is still not much help
You are lucky Mo in that you have enough space to escape the madness.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Our summer holiday plans are currently in jeopardy. We booked in January - two weeks away in the caravan; one week in Cornwall and one in Somerset. Sadly our 4-month old towcar was recently involved in an accident that we have now been told makes it a total loss. In the mean time we have been given a hire car by the third party's insurers (who have accepted full liability) - this car has a towbar and is rated to pull our 'van (at our request). However the threat is that they will make a settlement for our write-off and then demand their car back. In the mean time we have ordered a replacement car from new stock (it was literally cheaper to get a new car than to buy a lightly-used one) but this could take 2-3 weeks to acquire and have a towbar fitted, which makes it tight in terms of being ready to go away.

At a time when we're usually looking forwards to the holiday, we're currently not sure it's going to happen - or if it does it'll require either some forthright assertions to the insurers about when they will get their car back, or some tight timing in terms of getting the new car ready - both stressful situations.

Was booked to go to Tenerife in a weeks time but had to cancel in April due to one of our old dogs being very ill.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Our summer holiday plans are currently in jeopardy. We booked in January - two weeks away in the caravan; one week in Cornwall and one in Somerset. Sadly our 4-month old towcar was recently involved in an accident that we have now been told makes it a total loss. In the mean time we have been given a hire car by the third party's insurers (who have accepted full liability) - this car has a towbar and is rated to pull our 'van (at our request). However the threat is that they will make a settlement for our write-off and then demand their car back. In the mean time we have ordered a replacement car from new stock (it was literally cheaper to get a new car than to buy a lightly-used one) but this could take 2-3 weeks to acquire and have a towbar fitted, which makes it tight in terms of being ready to go away.

At a time when we're usually looking forwards to the holiday, we're currently not sure it's going to happen - or if it does it'll require either some forthright assertions to the insurers about when they will get their car back, or some tight timing in terms of getting the new car ready - both stressful situations.

In think you would have a strong case to hire a replacement for the holiday (or continue with the hire) and claim the cost off their insurers.

Of course, having a strong case and actually being able to do it aren't the same, alas.

Good luck.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In think you would have a strong case to hire a replacement for the holiday (or continue with the hire) and claim the cost off their insurers.

Of course, having a strong case and actually being able to do it aren't the same, alas.

Good luck.

This is the way we’re thinking. If we get a settlement for the car we won’t accept it as “full and final”, given that further financial claims may arise. Or we argue for additional settlement to cover any anticipated outlay…. like hiring a suitable car.

The trouble is hiring a tow car is not as easy as you might think. I’ve looked into it and it’s not like just filling in an online form and one turning up on your doorstep the next day.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This is the way we’re thinking. If we get a settlement for the car we won’t accept it as “full and final”, given that further financial claims may arise. Or we argue for additional settlement to cover any anticipated outlay…. like hiring a suitable car.

The trouble is hiring a tow car is not as easy as you might think. I’ve looked into it and it’s not like just filling in an online form and one turning up on your doorstep the next day.

The can't physically wrestle the keys off you, I'd suggest agreeing a pick up day after your holidays!

Jameshow

Veteran
I’m heading just south of Aberystwyth late aug, what is good round that way to see/worth an afternoon….I’ll have a toddler in tow…

Aberaron is nice and quiet also New Quay further down.
Lovely cycling area better than Devon tbh.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The can't physically wrestle the keys off you, I'd suggest agreeing a pick up day after your holidays!

Well no, but they can cancel the hire agreement meaning I would be guilty of TWOC or car theft and would potentially be driving uninsured.

To be fair, they have made soothing noises about supporting us, but talk is cheap (and hire cars are not!).

gbb

Legendary Member
Just enjoyed a quiet 4 days in a Haven static caravan. £170 for 4 nights in a privately owned 8 berth van, and it made us wonder...
It's in one of the nicer areas of the site, it's a much bigger, better van than many...so how did we end up in this one when out of season, many are empty
It's maybe dawned on me as I write...Haven protecting their assets ?, using private vans when they're obliged to pay the owner anyway. Plus we're returnees to Haven...ahh, who knows, very happy with what we had.
On the negative side, a trip to Ingolmells today, the price I had to pay for a day out to the Lincolshire Aviation Heritage Museum yesterday.
Still got a week in Weymouth late July with family.
A nice relaxing few days.

Top Bottom