Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Taking shape.

Sailing the channel to Scillies.

Then off to Yorkshire and circular through northern provinces.
That's July and a chunk of August.

Then meander south in France.
Anyone got a 90 day calculator they understand and can recommend.

That does read somewhat like an imperial Ceasar or King doing their annual round of visiting the peasants :whistle:

Enjoy your tour.

Gwylan

Veteran
That does read somewhat like an imperial Ceasar or King doing their annual round of visiting the peasants :whistle:

Enjoy your tour.

It's what retirement is for.

Just go and scrounge off friends and relatives.

Gunk

Guru
What is Annecy like in August? Is it really crowded?
We are doing our usual car-France-tent holiday this summer. We are going down the East side as we haven't explored that side of France before. We can't avoid August because we are teachers.

It is busy, especially the town but there are plenty of places you can find that are off the beaten track, especially towards the bottom of the lake. That’s where most of the camping is so I would recommend it. The lake is beautiful and clean, lovely for swimming in.

Both my parents were teachers so i have fond memories of long four week camping holidays in France in the 1970’s in our Renault 16 and Conway trailer tent!

Alex321

Veteran
What is Annecy like in August? Is it really crowded?
We are doing our usual car-France-tent holiday this summer. We are going down the East side as we haven't explored that side of France before. We can't avoid August because we are teachers.

We went there with our caravan a good few years ago, when my wife was still a teacher, and our kids were in school (my daughters are 40 and 41 now, so it was rather a long time ago). It was fairly busy, but not stupidly so.

I was able to take my bike and do a circuit of the lake without ever feeling the traffic was an issue.

I agree with Gunk, it is better to stay at the other end of the lake from the town.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Back to Dolomites for first time since 2018. But I suppose there has been a pandemic. Booked a self catering apartment. Going to be flying into Innsbruck then catch train from there. We drove there in 2018, never again! Walking mostly, don’t think my wife’s ankle would be up to the climbing these days.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Of on a cruise middle two weeks of July. Adriatic and Aegean Seas. No kids this time ! Hope to enjoy it but the Mrs wasn’t keen leaving the youngest ! MIL coming to stay at the house so should be fine .

That should be fun - did an Athens plus mini-cruise around the Aegean; boys week away in my 30's.

The islands visited were very nice plus the Athens nightlife was, let's say, very lively.

Back to Dolomites for first time since 2018. But I suppose there has been a pandemic. Booked a self catering apartment. Going to be flying into Innsbruck then catch train from there. We drove there in 2018, never again! Walking mostly, don’t think my wife’s ankle would be up to the climbing these days.

You’ll love it. We did a big interrailing holiday last summer which included 3 days hut to hut walking in the Dolomites (starting in Covara in Badia)and a few days in Innsbruck. The area is stunning.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You’ll love it. We did a big interrailing holiday last summer which included 3 days hut to hut walking in the Dolomites (starting in Covara in Badia)and a few days in Innsbruck. The area is stunning.

It’s not a new area for us, been going almost 20 years on and off, including walking AV1 a few years back 😁

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I looking for ideas for late summer (like end Sept / 1st week October). Just a week in the sun relaxing. ideal hotel, pool, close enough to a beach to walk if needed. Usually prefer a stroll out for dinner provided there is a variety of places rather than its the all inclusive buffet or nothing.

Did a cycling hol in Puglia at similar time of year in 21, but it wasn't quite hot enough for sunbathing weather (got chilly quite quickly as sun faded in the late pm / early evening), although we were in up in/on Itria valley /plain which is up a bit from the coast, which may keep temp a degree or 2 cooler?

Went to Kefalonia last year, but in June. Loved the relaxed vibe there, not sure how warm it is there late summer?
Don't want a long flight.

Long List Idea's:
Morocco - but is it relaxing or is hassle outside of hotel compound?
Malta
Cyprus either North or South
(will these be warm enough)
Canaries I guess, but not Madeira

vickster

Legendary Member
Costa de la Luz, southern Spain. Some very reasonable deals via Tui (also been looking!) Plenty of day trips to be done, eg Cadiz, Jerez, even Seville and Lisbon
Sicily, still pretty hot in September. Ditto plenty of trips
Croatia, but the southern bits will be warmer (Istria was a little nippy in the evenings at least)
Don't think Malta has sandy beaches?
Bonus of shorter flights than your list so hopefully don't lose 2 full days travelling!

Alex321

Veteran
Costa de la Luz, southern Spain. Some very reasonable deals via Tui (also been looking!) Plenty of day trips to be done, eg Cadiz, Jerez, even Seville and Lisbon

We went there for our last holiday before Covid, staying in Islantilla which is in the Huelva area, about as far West as you can go without hitting Portugal. Not sure Lisbon is really reasonable for a day trip, though the others are.

Definitely worth a visit IMO.

And we went to Sicily a year or two before that, staying near Syracuse in the far South-West of the island.

Croatia, but the southern bits will be warmer (Istria was a little nippy in the evenings at least)
It has some, depending which part of the island you stay. There was a small one in front of our hotel (next to the ferry port for Gozo)
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.986...WSnt9r2BtBgsFkog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

And there is quite a large sandy beach at Mellieha

Bonus of shorter flights than your list so hopefully don't lose 2 full days travelling!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

These three cities are fabulous. Worth a holiday stay on their own.

Hmm that's an idea 👍, will it still be pretty hot down there then though ? Does it get windy with being Altantic facing rather then Med? I like the idea of breaking up the beach with a couple of city trips though, all those 3 appeal. (not sure Cadiz to Lisbon is a relaxing day trip though Vickster!)

Croatia though lovely, I think will be suffering chilly evening syndrome same as Puglia was which mean the OH will pack a case of cardigans. Sicily also a risk for that.

Top Bottom