Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

Not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said - but you can't refuse to take cash if it puts your normal customers at a disadvantage. So I guess a shop that has a high proprortion of sales going to, for example, children, has to take cash,

tyred

Legendary Member
When I worked in the school tuck shop, about a thousand years ago, we used to give Blackjack sweets as change if we had ran out of pennies.

I wonder are Blackjacks legal tender, or were we breaking a law of some sort. 🤔

When I worked in the school tuck shop, about a thousand years ago, we used to give Blackjack sweets as change if we had ran out of pennies.

Was the exchange rate 4 for 1d or am I really really old?

If you lick the cakes before paying, you have , in legal terms created debitum lambendo, which can in law be settled by cash.

tyred

Legendary Member
Was the exchange rate 4 for 1d or am I really really old?

No, not quite that far back. c1992, 1 Blackjack for IR£0.01. They were very much in demand.

I remember once that the biology teacher wanted saliva for an experiment and went around with a test tube asking pupils to spit in it and because everyone had been eating Blackjacks, their saliva was all black! :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said - but you can't refuse to take cash if it puts your normal customers at a disadvantage. So I guess a shop that has a high proprortion of sales going to, for example, children, has to take cash,

Not true.

A shopkeeper can decide to accept, or decline, whatever form of payment they choose.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Being in Denmark, I rarely have any cash in my pocket. Everything is done either by card or mobile phone and has been for 20 years. Everywhere does accept cash. But I never use it

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I just learned a few weeks ago that my brother, 10 years older than me, has never used an ATM!

He always uses cash, except online.

Slick

Guru

Yes blackjack's were popular, until I flooded the market with oil rigs. :laugh: :becool:

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes blackjack's were popular, until I flooded the market with oil rigs. :laugh: :becool:

I don't think I've eaten one since I was at school. I must see if I can buy some for old times sake.

I'm surprised we have any teeth left at all given how many sweets we ate in those days.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry,
took my info from here, he usually knows what he's talking about.

He means discrimination against protected characteristics I would think. So like I said upthread, you can't refuse to serve someone because they're Scottish, but you can decline Scottish banknotes. I guess there may be a way in which the latter could imply the former but that sounds like something for the courts to decide.

icowden

Veteran
What I find really odd is the people who put minimum card spends on. Our local newsagent has a £5 minimum for card transactions. Both the Co-op opposite and the off license sell similar stuff and just accept cards. They must miss out on a tonne of impulse buying transactions when people drop off parcels.

Top Bottom