Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scragend

"Legal tender" has a specific meaning in law, and only refers to what must be accepted in settlement of a debt. Generally in a shop this would not apply as no debt exists - merely, in legal parlance, an "invitation to treat".

Incidentally, Scottish notes are not legal tender anywhere - not even in Scotland!

Slick

Guru
"Legal tender" has a specific meaning in law, and only refers to what must be accepted in settlement of a debt. Generally in a shop this would not apply as no debt exists - merely, in legal parlance, an "invitation to treat".

Incidentally, Scottish notes are not legal tender anywhere - not even in Scotland!

No such thing as legal tender in Scotland.

Slick

Guru
Are our notes legal tender?

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender. Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland either. Officially, the phrase 'legal tender' means money that a person is obliged to accept if offered it in payment of a debt. Under Scottish law, that does not include banknotes, which are classified as 'legal currency' but not 'legal tender'.

Slick

Guru

roley poley

Veteran
I was cycling in Spain early last year when we stopped off for some lunch in a small village cafe. (Calling @nickyboy ....) after we had eaten and paid (by card) I spotted the rather lovely looking cake shop next door. Wanting a small dessert or two, me and one of the guys in the group went and browsed the counter then ordered a cake or several to be bagged up for us to take on our journey.

Imagine our dismay when we went to pay, only to find it was cash only! I quickly dashed up the street to a convenient cash till, which turned out to be not so convenient as it wouldn't play ball with my bank! I went back into the shop which by now had bagged our goods and had developed a small queue.

I tried to explain to the staff in my rubbish Anglo/Spanish that we had no means of paying and were very sorry for trouble caused, then left to explain to the rest of the group what had happened.
A minute or two later my other ride buddy came out of the shop bearing the pastries, much to our amazement.

It turns out a local gent behind us in the queue had got the gist of our predicament and paid for the goods himself. When he came out of the shop I shook his hand vigorously and thanked him profusely in my shockingly bad Anglo/Spanish. A true gentleman, but just goes to show the absurd wrinkles of the cash/cashless society we now live in.

went with mrs poley to ikea in Birstall shopping park for a sofa that she wanted to "sit test" before we bought it (you can't do that on line) so took cash and no cards ..a coffee and hot chocolate in cafe nero post purchase was card only !! lucky for us the next man in the queue paid for us on his card and i gave him the money ...thankyou for the kindness of strangers x x

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I once paid for a Chinese takeaway in Cardiff with a Scottish £5 note...
There was a lot of 你不能用垄断货币来支付你的食物 going on but they did accept it.

Chislenko

Veteran
Had a few days away in Harrogate over new year and a lot of the bars were card only. Mind you the price of the beer there you would need to carry a mountain of cash to last the night!!

I still prefer to pay cash but accept that times are changing so nowadays with more and more card transactions I always "front load" my credit card.

Like a previous poster had stated I am wary of "cash only" shops (takeaways / barbers) as you wonder about the legitimacy of the accounting.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our local grocery shop went digital during Covid. They have a small terminal about the size of a pack of cards that sits in the counter and links to the owners mobile phone. It is still in the original box with the lid removed. It works really well and the owner has got used to it. When he first started using it it was like watching an episode of " Danger UXB "

Top Bottom