Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I think I recently read that IoM, Jersey and Guernsey pounds are technically separate currencies, albeit also called pounds, pegged to the GBP pound and with the same format for coins and notes ( exceptions may exist).

The IOM and similar coins have the same dimensions and weight as the regular UK coins and are accepted by vending machines. They sometimes get issued as change by these machines.

The exception is the £1 coin where the Isle of Man still uses the old format.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When we had a shop we sometimes got cruise liner passengers in looking for souvenirs.
One ship had come from Isle of Man and all the passengers had I of M bank notes. We phoned our local bank who confirmed that it was ok to take this and did good business that day as all the other shops refused to accept it. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once paid for a Chinese takeaway in Cardiff with a Scottish £5 note...
There was a lot of 你不能用垄断货币来支付你的食物 going on but they did accept it.

When I travelled a bit on business I found Wales was worst for refusals. I used to always make a point of tendering Scottish notes but had English ones as backup.

Maybe the till operator didn’t

maybe you’re not memorable to her?

Memorable enough for her to know I was Scottish without speaking.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
When I had my dog grooming business I was cash or cheque with a card. At the time, a card machine was an expensive way of taking payment. I worked that way for 14 years and HMRC never got emotional with me. I did my books, tax return etc., and never had a moments issue.
I will use cash where I can as I just like too. I am probably old fashioned. When using a card I don’t do contactless, I use my PIN number where possible. A couple of years working for a large bank gave me ‘the fear’.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Near where I live there is a "cash only" shop (Chinese takeaway) only a few doors away from a "card only" shop (a chi-chi coffee and sandwiches shop). These days I try always to have some cash on me, just in case, but I hardly ever touch it.

Top Bottom