Can shops legally refuse money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

Not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said - but you can't refuse to take cash if it puts your normal customers at a disadvantage. So I guess a shop that has a high proprortion of sales going to, for example, children, has to take cash,

tyred

Legendary Member
When I worked in the school tuck shop, about a thousand years ago, we used to give Blackjack sweets as change if we had ran out of pennies.

I wonder are Blackjacks legal tender, or were we breaking a law of some sort. 🤔

Tenkaykev

Guru
When I worked in the school tuck shop, about a thousand years ago, we used to give Blackjack sweets as change if we had ran out of pennies.

Was the exchange rate 4 for 1d or am I really really old?

If you lick the cakes before paying, you have , in legal terms created debitum lambendo, which can in law be settled by cash.

tyred

Legendary Member
Was the exchange rate 4 for 1d or am I really really old?

No, not quite that far back. c1992, 1 Blackjack for IR£0.01. They were very much in demand.

I remember once that the biology teacher wanted saliva for an experiment and went around with a test tube asking pupils to spit in it and because everyone had been eating Blackjacks, their saliva was all black! :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said - but you can't refuse to take cash if it puts your normal customers at a disadvantage. So I guess a shop that has a high proprortion of sales going to, for example, children, has to take cash,

Not true.

A shopkeeper can decide to accept, or decline, whatever form of payment they choose.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Being in Denmark, I rarely have any cash in my pocket. Everything is done either by card or mobile phone and has been for 20 years. Everywhere does accept cash. But I never use it

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I just learned a few weeks ago that my brother, 10 years older than me, has never used an ATM!

He always uses cash, except online.

Slick

Guru

Yes blackjack's were popular, until I flooded the market with oil rigs. :laugh: :becool:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry,
took my info from here, he usually knows what he's talking about.

He means discrimination against protected characteristics I would think. So like I said upthread, you can't refuse to serve someone because they're Scottish, but you can decline Scottish banknotes. I guess there may be a way in which the latter could imply the former but that sounds like something for the courts to decide.

icowden

Veteran
What I find really odd is the people who put minimum card spends on. Our local newsagent has a £5 minimum for card transactions. Both the Co-op opposite and the off license sell similar stuff and just accept cards. They must miss out on a tonne of impulse buying transactions when people drop off parcels.

Top Bottom