Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Start to sound like sharing estate :headshake:;)
Who’s sharing ? Me me me
I have put hours into this - even text to see how his knee was
Didn’t read what he said though
Think he is having a op soon

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
There is certainly a draft benefit, the blob isn't really there, more a line with pack of riders. You will have to at some point keep up with some one or slowly drift backwards
Push enough watts to keep the pace good, but not too many that they are wasted. 225 or so should be fine to keep a fast pace on flatter routes, at least for me. Then look to try and push closer to 250 on the climb. That's my plan anyway

bobinski

Legendary Member

kipster

Guru
Push enough watts to keep the pace good, but not too many that they are wasted. 225 or so should be fine to keep a fast pace on flatter routes, at least for me. Then look to try and push closer to 250 on the climb. That's my plan anyway

I was 3.0-3.5 w/kg on the flat and 3.8-4.5 on the climb. While there were loads of people there were a few gaps to bridge at times which meant a burst of power. The average pace on the flat was high, probably about 28mph.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Its a good course to highlight rider strengths. I was a little quicker than Paul on the flat by a minute and Paul was 2 mins quicker up Keith (rounded numbers).

My power numbers were Sweetspot range, but with bursts to stay with my group or try and go with a faster group. I was pleased with my endurance and gradual power increase whilst climbing Keith.

Im coming to the end of this training block and will begin to add in shorter mid time intervals for increased power- mostly Sweetspot though

Whorty

Its a good course to highlight rider strengths. I was a little quicker than Paul on the flat by a minute and Paul was 2 mins quicker up Keith (rounded numbers).

My power numbers were Sweetspot range, but with bursts to stay with my group or try and go with a faster group. I was pleased with my endurance and gradual power increase whilst climbing Keith.

Im coming to the end of this training block and will begin to add in shorter mid time intervals for increased power- mostly Sweetspot though
Blasting out the blocks to get ahead of the slower riders, then settling in to a group (or a snake depending on how many riders tonight) works for me. Once you're in a group drafting it takes such a massive effort to break that group draft and get into the next group that I'd go into the red and maybe not then be able to hold the next group. I try to hold on at 2.6/2.7 w/kg and do the few bursts as needed to stay in that group, or follow those who try to break away.

If a faster group comes from behind I will increase power just before they overtake me to try and latch on to their wheel. Same on little inclines, burst of power to stay in the group.

Quite a few articles on power needed to stay in the drafts in Zwift; if someone pushing 3.0 (for e.g.) you can likely stay in their draft only pushing 2.6, but will also stay in their draft pushing up to 3.0. So I always aim for the lowest effort for the most gain. To break their draft and progress I'd need to push 4.0+ for some time and even then, if I was in a blob originally, they'll likely catch me back up again. I might as well cruise at 2.6 than burn too many matches for no real advantage.

I find hills though are totally different - this is where the w/kg kicks in and everyone starts to pull away from me. Those I can draft behind on the flats suddenly leave me for dust. When I get to Keith I'll need to keep something back so I can aim to climb it close to 3.0+ w/kg.

I never win races, but sticking to these tactics always sees me finish, get the odd PB, and sometimes increase my FTP :wahhey:

Whorty

Zwift rewards those who power into an incline/climb. Even when drafting. Expect the watts to go up as you approach and increase yours if you want to have a better chance of grabbing a good sticky draft for a while at least.
What gets my goat is the 'sticky' draft in climbs. I can be pushing, for e.g., 3.2 w/kg at 15 kph, come up on another rider who may only be pushing 2.7 w/kg at 10 kph, then suddenly my breaks go on and I drop to their speed. After 5 or so seconds my avatar starts to speed up again but you've lost so much momentum.

Of all the foibles of Zwift, sticky draft is the one I hate the most. Completely pointless feature.

On flats it's easier to power through the stickiness, but I find it's much harder on climbs :banghead:

Top Bottom