Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Just curious, but does anyone use the Zwift Play controllers?

I will admit that I keep looking at them and part of me thinks they might add to the immersion of riding on Zwift, while the other part of me thinks that they are a waste of money.

Yes. I bought them a week after they came out. I do think they are a bit too expensive, but I like them. They have been reliable, useful and definitely added to my racing experience.

Great for deploying a powerup without your hands leaving the handlebars.
Lookback for 5s is an excellent feature to see who's creeping up behind you
Steering itself is quite useful for maintaining a good position in the draft. It will take a few races to get used to it though as it does add a bit of mental overhead. But you soon absorb that and it becomes "the new normal".

They are pretty well made and fit my bike well (Specialized Allez).

My main issue with them is that Zwift chickened out of going mainstream with it. They should have stuck with their original idea instead of the half-arsed situation we now have where most of the bigger series have steering switched off. But they gave in to the bleaters.

My suggestion would be buy it, try it and if you don't like it, send it back. If you don't race, I can't really see them adding much value.

13 rider

Guru
That hills too much even for me 4th over the top 1 Min down ,top 4 stayed like that to the end , blew on the leg snapper again as I made one last dig to close on 3rd

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
That hills too much even for me 4th over the top 1 Min down ,top 4 stayed like that to the end , spent blew on the leg snapper again as I made one last dig to close on 3rd

Yeah. Nasty race. Any suggestions for race 4 next month? Mountainous but 30-45 minutes race duration. Can stop part way up though.

You did really well considering you only did two in E pen

Screen Shot 2024-09-24 at 20.47.54.png

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I have Zwift play too.. . They're great, steering, cutting corners, getting in draft and removing draft from others. Viewing, dropping kudos and power ups from the handlebars.

I actually feel slightly miffed when events don't have steering.

Some complain they give an advantage over those who don't have them. It's only like choosing the wrong bike or wheels.

Certainly enhances the Zwift experience

I would get them if you run a PC.

13 rider

Guru
Yeah. Nasty race. Any suggestions for race 4 next month? Mountainous but 30-45 minutes race duration. Can stop part way up though.

View attachment 746794
Top placed rider doing 2 events I'll take that 😁, Annoyingly if I'd raced the 1st race in E pen which I could have done ,my time in the D race would have placed me 2nd ,
Climbers Gambit for a route , mountain top finish up the epic , or look at the new routes the Mayan ones which miss the grade are sensible enough to not put people off
Edit I beat everyone above me in the tonight's or last week's race

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

View attachment 746794

Gonna admit, I'm not going to race anything hilly; I'll happily do flats and rolling but will bail on any climb over 10 mins. I prefer races where riders are using a bit of tactics rather than just tempo solo and the rider with the strongest w/kg wins the race

I'll give my all though in races 1-3 :cheers:

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Alex are you moving cat boundaries next month , I seemed to have gamed the system perfectly as my zrs has just bumped past 350 by a smigen 😁 as the boundaries move

Yes they're dropping by 50 for October (or supposed to) but I'm waiting until I hear back from James about any impending "changes" to ZRS before final decision.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Gonna admit, I'm not going to race anything hilly; I'll happily do flats and rolling but will bail on any climb over 10 mins. I prefer races where riders are using a bit of tactics rather than just tempo solo and the rider with the strongest w/kg wins the race

I'll give my all though in races 1-3 :cheers:

Don't blame you at all. It's meant to be fun afterall :laugh:

Some perverts find climbing mountains fun :eek:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Don't blame you at all. It's meant to be fun afterall :laugh:

Some perverts find climbing mountains fun :eek:

Let's strap an extra 10kg to their backs, see how much fun it is then :laugh: :laugh:
I'm like @CXRAndy , I keep thinking I'm going to get lots of Z2 in to build some miles in the legs but don't get around to it. That's what I really need though to get some fitness back, time on the bike. Oh, and get my weight back to 75kg

AlanW

Guru
Yes. I bought them a week after they came out. I do think they are a bit too expensive, but I like them. They have been reliable, useful and definitely added to my racing experience.

Great for deploying a powerup without your hands leaving the handlebars.
Lookback for 5s is an excellent feature to see who's creeping up behind you
Steering itself is quite useful for maintaining a good position in the draft. It will take a few races to get used to it though as it does add a bit of mental overhead. But you soon absorb that and it becomes "the new normal".

They are pretty well made and fit my bike well (Specialized Allez).

My main issue with them is that Zwift chickened out of going mainstream with it. They should have stuck with their original idea instead of the half-arsed situation we now have where most of the bigger series have steering switched off. But they gave in to the bleaters.

My suggestion would be buy it, try it and if you don't like it, send it back. If you don't race, I can't really see them adding much value.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't race, well not very often at least, it was just a purchase to save using my phone and the companion app really

AlanW

Guru
I have Zwift play too.. . They're great, steering, cutting corners, getting in draft and removing draft from others. Viewing, dropping kudos and power ups from the handlebars.

I actually feel slightly miffed when events don't have steering.

Some complain they give an advantage over those who don't have them. It's only like choosing the wrong bike or wheels.

Certainly enhances the Zwift experience

I would get them if you run a PC.

Thanks for the feedback, as you say its just to enhance the whole Zwift experience. I currently run Zwift via Apple TV so I would have to connect them via my phone, but now I have replaced my old PC for a pretty decent gaming PC, I could run it on that now.

Top Bottom