Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Veteran
Did the Pinarello Power race earlier, was in the lead group until my phone lost connection with my monitor, by the time I’d sorted it (even though I was still pushing) I was 15 seconds behind and game over. Then it was basically a time trial to the end.

Need to sort out something more stable, connection wise, in my garage me thinks.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Did the Pinarello Power race earlier, was in the lead group until my phone lost connection with my monitor, by the time I’d sorted it (even though I was still pushing) I was 15 seconds behind and game over. Then it was basically a time trial to the end.

Need to sort out something more stable, connection wise, in my garage me thinks.

So are you running the zwift app on your phobe and just wirelessly sharing the screen onto a monitor?

alex_cycles

Veteran
Nothing new - those things have always been the case

Yeah they tweaked a few things behind the scenes since launch, but main thing they changed from our side is that your ZRS can now go 15% below your floor (which a lot of people say is too much).

It works quite well for flat races, but it needs modifiers for different courses. Or we just have to accept that sprinters won't win climby races, which is as it SHOULD be really :laugh:

Cav struggles to make the time cut on the mountain stages. So if my strength is 30s-2m power I shouldn't be winning mountain races unless I'm racing people rated quite a bit lower than me. The thing I LIKE about ZRS is that it's putting people I'd never normally race against (e.g. A and A+ guys from week 1) in a pen with me and I'm not always losing. They are rated similar because although they have great aerobic ability, they have poor sprints. And if I beat them on a flat race, you can't say they shouldn't have been there.

The problem with being anaerobically biased is that eventually that sustained aerobic effort will be decisive. Yesterday the pace on the flats in France was too high for me to get enough recovery to finish well on the final climb. One guy attacked three times (12, 16 and 20km) on the flat and only one person got shaken out the back. But it was plenty enough to hurt my finish.

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 13.37.59.png

alex_cycles

Veteran

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08R6ZR4KS/

These are quite good. HDMI adapter and you can also use it to power the phone/tablet as well.

Used to use this with my iPAD for Zwifting.

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 13.42.31.png

Cirrus

Veteran
So are you running the zwift app on your phobe and just wirelessly sharing the screen onto a monitor?

At the moment yes, I can run it on a laptop with a wired link to the screen but the WiFi on the phone is more stable at the moment.

I’m either going to have to extend the WiFi mesh or run a cat6 cable down there I think.

bridgy

Legendary Member
At the moment yes, I can run it on a laptop with a wired link to the screen but the WiFi on the phone is more stable at the moment.

I’m either going to have to extend the WiFi mesh or run a cat6 cable down there I think.

Would plug in powerline adaptors work for you in your garage for a wired internet link? That's what I use in my garage.

One advantage of using something other than your phone is you can then use the companion app on the phone (may or may not be of any use to you though!)

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yeah they tweaked a few things behind the scenes since launch, but main thing they changed from our side is that your ZRS can now go 15% below your floor (which a lot of people say is too much).

It works quite well for flat races, but it needs modifiers for different courses. Or we just have to accept that sprinters won't win climby races, which is as it SHOULD be really :laugh:

Cav struggles to make the time cut on the mountain stages. So if my strength is 30s-2m power I shouldn't be winning mountain races unless I'm racing people rated quite a bit lower than me. The thing I LIKE about ZRS is that it's putting people I'd never normally race against (e.g. A and A+ guys from week 1) in a pen with me and I'm not always losing. They are rated similar because although they have great aerobic ability, they have poor sprints. And if I beat them on a flat race, you can't say they shouldn't have been there.

The problem with being anaerobically biased is that eventually that sustained aerobic effort will be decisive. Yesterday the pace on the flats in France was too high for me to get enough recovery to finish well on the final climb. One guy attacked three times (12, 16 and 20km) on the flat and only one person got shaken out the back. But it was plenty enough to hurt my finish.

View attachment 745997

Totally agree - as a non climber I was always getting shedded on climbs even when I could compete a final sprint of a flat race. My problem when my ZRS was over 350 was that I was getting dropped on the first couple of minutes of a flat course - that's how I know I'm in the wrong race. Very few people should be dropped on a flat-ish course as the draft in Zwift is string enough to let us hang on.

Was thinking this earlier when at the gym. Probably my body type, have always been a sprinter running, always done weights, so probably have a bias to fast twitch fibres. I can almost always put in a decent sprint at the end of a race, I know I am able to empty an already depleted tank to the point of near vomit and asthma attack - yet I just can't go as deep on a sustained tempo climb. Legs just won't turn over. Had the race finished at the sprint banner yesterday before going back up the KoM I'd have fancied my chances with that group, but I knew as soon as that 9 minute climb came along I was a lead balloon, which is how it should be with my fitness and abilities.

It's just about getting the right balance so that racing is enjoyable. And for me, picking the right races :rofl:

Cirrus

Veteran
Would plug in powerline adaptors work for you in your garage for a wired internet link? That's what I use in my garage.

One advantage of using something other than your phone is you can then use the companion app on the phone (may or may not be of any use to you though!)

That’s what I’m using at the moment but they are temperamental at best, probably as the garage has it’s own consumer unit.

bridgy

Legendary Member
That’s what I’m using at the moment but they are temperamental at best, probably as the garage has it’s own consumer unit.

Ah OK.

Other alternative is an Apple TV box but I guess that would only be worthwhile if it's wifi connection was as good and stable as your phone is

mjd1988

Guru
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08R6ZR4KS/

These are quite good. HDMI adapter and you can also use it to power the phone/tablet as well.

Used to use this with my iPAD for Zwifting.

View attachment 745999

This is interesting. Apple TV definitely feels a bit underpowered/inability to switch bikes has sometimes been a bit of an issue, but is super quick for startup which is really handy for me as I tend to be time short. Do many people use an iPad or similar?

alex_cycles

Veteran
This is interesting. Apple TV definitely feels a bit underpowered/inability to switch bikes has sometimes been a bit of an issue, but is super quick for startup which is really handy for me as I tend to be time short. Do many people use an iPad or similar?

Bike swapping is dead now though since they nixed the Crr of dirt and gravel. There's almost no situtations now where you'd get enough of an advantage for it to be worth the lost time.

I used an iPad for about 18 months and it was fine. Main reason I changed was because I got a new computer and it allowed me to use Sauce and Livestream. Streaming turns out to have been a big bonus because I don't have to piddle about uploading files to youtube any more, which used to take a long time.

Top Bottom