Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I'm considering joining the craze and buying a gravel bike. There seem to be some good deals around but I don't really know what to look for in a gravel bike. Anyone got any recommendations?

I expect I'll want to do some racing on it as well as using it as a winter bike.

I really like my 2018 model Diverge which I picked up for £600 second-hand and barely used a couple of years ago.

The more advanced models have the future shock suspension on the handlebars which I have on my Roubaix and it would have been nice to have that on rough rides.

I think the most important thing on a gravel bike is decent tyre clearance. You want to be able to put at least 38mm and preferably clearance for 40+ which gives you a lot of shock-absorbing in the tyres for rougher rides. (I manage fine with 38mm at 35-40 psi, tubeless).

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm considering joining the craze and buying a gravel bike. There seem to be some good deals around but I don't really know what to look for in a gravel bike. Anyone got any recommendations?

I expect I'll want to do some racing on it as well as using it as a winter bike.

What about an E gravel bike ^_^

Great fun whatever you get Martin. Get one with up to 50mm tyres on 650b wheels. That way you can really go off road

Gearing wise, the current trend is single small front sprocket and dinner plate cassette. I still prefer two chainrings, albeit smaller than road.

alex_cycles

Veteran

Great fun whatever you get Martin. Get one with up to 50mm tyres on 650b wheels. That way you can really go off road

Gearing wise, the current trend is single small front sprocket and dinner plate cassette. I still prefer two chainrings, albeit smaller than road.

I also prefer a double on the front. Have you seen the price of those huge cassettes? 😳

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Look at a bike you can switch to road duties too. I went with a used CX bike as I already had spare 'rim braked' wheels. Also, 2x especially if you'll use it on the road or a mix of terrain. Mine runs 46-34 up front and a 12x34 rear, and will go up anything. Switched the wheels to road for the 130 mile Tour De Manc which had 25% climbs at 40 miles and 80 miles (as well as 11,000 feet of climbing overall). So if you've spare disc wheels, get a gravel bike, or newer CX. 2x far better for road/flat gravel as you've not got the jumps.

mjd1988

Guru

Used a gravel ebike on holiday as it was the only one available. It was amazing, probably the most fun ive ever had on a bike

alex_cycles

Veteran
For "reasons" I find myself in the position of not having ridden in the morning so I'm popping into the afternoon Tinies in the B pen which is ZRS 530-650 - I'm at 579 so somewhere in the middle. But it's climby finishes and one of them is Titans Reverse, which you all know is one I really like - if I can hit it with some anaerobic power left. Should be a good workout. I don't really have any great expectations of placing well though.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
For "reasons" I find myself in the position of not having ridden in the morning so I'm popping into the afternoon Tinies in the B pen which is ZRS 530-650 - I'm at 579 so somewhere in the middle. But it's climby finishes and one of them is Titans Reverse, which you all know is one I really like - if I can hit it with some anaerobic power left. Should be a good workout. I don't really have any great expectations of placing well though.

I considered joining the tinnies today but saw they were clilmby again so decided to watch cricket instead. Really can't be doing climbing races, they hurt too much haha

alex_cycles

Veteran
I considered joining the tinnies today but saw they were clilmby again so decided to watch cricket instead. Really can't be doing climbing races, they hurt too much haha

It was misleading. Only the last two were climby. You would have enjoyed the first two very much. I was targeting race 3, but ended up doing best in race 2 and really awful in race 4 (nothing left)

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Hi chaps and happy summer 😎
Are there still Cyclechat teams active in the ZRL? I see the 2024/25 season starts on 10th September. I’ll most likely return to indoor action (😬 keep it clean) mid September and keen to get involved once I can work out what’s going and where I sit with the category system.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Got a highest-ever peak power today (on the back of a sweaty half-hour of SS)
5DDA0BBC-9861-42AE-BAC7-3BE631D88459.png

Endurance and VO2 work still need a bit of attention…

Top Bottom