Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I don't think ZRL will be using racing score this season because it won't be ready in time. It's still only 1 month into the Zwift Labs experiment.

DRS won't be using it either as far as I know because vELO has worked so well for us.

Ah, that's good news because currently the logic/algorithm is waaaay off. Was thinking ZRL would be carnage if they deployed this as is.

Whorty

Does feel like you need a qualifying race before being placed in the ds or else genuine ds will forever be beaten by top level bs or as who have only just signed up/resigned

I don't disagree, to a certain extent if the rider is new to Zwift, but there is enough info about longer standing riders to have a good stab at where they should be. The person who won my race averaged over 4 w/kg for 40 minutes. That's top B in old money, and no way they should be in the new C cat. Top D racers all pushed over 3.2 w/kg for the whole race.

My recent Zwift riding has me about 2.6-2.8 w/kg, so definitely nothing special and I'd have done well to be mid table in D, yet my race score is still 417 (I only lost 10 points in that race) - the guy in D race who finished 2 seconds faster than me is on 220 ish points, 200 points less than me. The system should be able to recognise when a racer's numbers are way off and the adjustments should be faster.

Other funny was I improved my old ZP ranking by 39 points, despite coming last by 3 minutes and riding 37 minutes of a 46 minute race on my own. Never seen that before, I thought those rankings only changed if you beat someone of a better rank but maybe to looks at how far behind you were too to compared to higher ranked riders?

Anyway, back in D now (which actually feels like old C) so maybe in the next race I can at least see other riders around the course rather than ride hills alone which is rather dull.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I don't disagree, to a certain extent if the rider is new to Zwift, but there is enough info about longer standing riders to have a good stab at where they should be. The person who won my race averaged over 4 w/kg for 40 minutes. That's top B in old money, and no way they should be in the new C cat. Top D racers all pushed over 3.2 w/kg for the whole race.

My recent Zwift riding has me about 2.6-2.8 w/kg, so definitely nothing special and I'd have done well to be mid table in D, yet my race score is still 417 (I only lost 10 points in that race) - the guy in D race who finished 2 seconds faster than me is on 220 ish points, 200 points less than me. The system should be able to recognise when a racer's numbers are way off and the adjustments should be faster.

Other funny was I improved my old ZP ranking by 39 points, despite coming last by 3 minutes and riding 37 minutes of a 46 minute race on my own. Never seen that before, I thought those rankings only changed if you beat someone of a better rank but maybe to looks at how far behind you were too to compared to higher ranked riders?

Anyway, back in D now (which actually feels like old C) so maybe in the next race I can at least see other riders around the course rather than ride hills alone which is rather dull.

There's still plenty of CE races not using the ZRS race score if that's your preference. There's only a few time slots that DO use ZRS. They're keeping it sandboxed while they see how it works. (Which seems sensible to me.) For what it's worth I haven't had a long break and I'm still getting better. In old money my 20-min max is about 3.7 so I'd be a mid B, which seems about right. I haven't done many CE races in a while but last time I did I was able to hold on quite a long time.

And my vELO has crept up over the last 8 months or so from Platinum (sub-1300) through Amethyst (1300-1450) and now just into Sapphire (1467) - but I've been breaking my power curve records at all intervals steadily during that time too.

And in my case it seems that the ZRS is about right. It placed me in races where I enjoyed the race and was able to be in the mix without troubling the podium (except a sparsely populated crit). I did a few in the first week of the test and wrote up my findings here https://cyclopathy.com/2024/07/08/what-is-zwift-racing-score-like/
Obviously not everyone will have the same experience. But my power metrics are all bang up-to-date.

Whorty

There's still plenty of CE races not using the ZRS race score if that's your preference. There's only a few time slots that DO use ZRS. They're keeping it sandboxed while they see how it works. (Which seems sensible to me.) For what it's worth I haven't had a long break and I'm still getting better. In old money my 20-min max is about 3.7 so I'd be a mid B, which seems about right. I haven't done many CE races in a while but last time I did I was able to hold on quite a long time.

And my vELO has crept up over the last 8 months or so from Platinum (sub-1300) through Amethyst (1300-1450) and now just into Sapphire (1467) - but I've been breaking my power curve records at all intervals steadily during that time too.

And in my case it seems that the ZRS is about right. It placed me in races where I enjoyed the race and was able to be in the mix without troubling the podium (except a sparsely populated crit). I did a few in the first week of the test and wrote up my findings here https://cyclopathy.com/2024/07/08/what-is-zwift-racing-score-like/
Obviously not everyone will have the same experience. But my power metrics are all bang up-to-date.

I specifically joined the ZRS race to (hopefully) get the score rejigged so I knew I'd be dropped and the race would be pretty pointless - although the exercise was needed as I'm not riding much.

I'm definitely at best a mid C at the moment in flatter races and towards the bottom of C when the road goes up, but that's fine for me as it means there will be people around me to make the ride interesting. Enjoying the gym too much at the moment and not riding enough to get any further up the rankings than mid C :becool:

alex_cycles

Veteran
I specifically joined the ZRS race to (hopefully) get the score rejigged so I knew I'd be dropped and the race would be pretty pointless - although the exercise was needed as I'm not riding much.

I'm definitely at best a mid C at the moment in flatter races and towards the bottom of C when the road goes up, but that's fine for me as it means there will be people around me to make the ride interesting. Enjoying the gym too much at the moment and not riding enough to get any further up the rankings than mid C :becool:

Are you doing lots of free weights in the meathead section? :laugh:

Your sprinting will probably come back quickly if you've been taking care of the legs too ^_^

alex_cycles

Veteran
I've watched your progress Alex over the last year. Very good, dedicated. I don't know how many times you ride per week seems almost daily 👍

I ride most days, but nominally try to have at least one easy or rest day a week. More outdoor when the weather is nice. I like lots of variety to keep it interesting. I’ve just last week discovered veloviewer tile collecting. Racing is great fun though and keeps it lively.

At 54 I suppose there will be a natural hard limit at some point, but for now I still seem to be improving. Cycling seems to be superb for physical and mental health.

Whorty

Are you doing lots of free weights in the meathead section? :laugh:

Your sprinting will probably come back quickly if you've been taking care of the legs too ^_^

A mix of free weights, cables and machines. Lots of lunges and hip thrusts for legs and glutes, damn they hurt!!

Sprint was ok the other day when I gave it a blast, it's the tempo climbs I'm never going to be any good at carrying over 80kg at 5ft7 but I like my shape and to be a climber I'd need to be closer to 60kg, something I've not been since I was 13 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Below are 2 outside rides the other day up local hills and the climb yesterday in the race. Gradients different of course (and no flattening of the hill outside using the reality sliders haha) but equivalent power so I at least know where my climbing is. I was definitely having to work harder outside at times just to keep moving on the 10%+ sections hence I guess why the watts are slightly higher for the first climb. The second outdoor climb has a flatter section so my watts dropped off there as I was breathing out my backside! On the race yesterday I was on the limit to the climb hanging on to the lead group so that would have been equivalent to my outdoor rides getting to those climbs I think.

Pretty consistent though, so I can be fairly sure my Atom and outdoor pedals are close with the power numbers :okay:

1722500203663.png

1722500490194.png

1722500259001.png

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I ride most days, but nominally try to have at least one easy or rest day a week. More outdoor when the weather is nice. I like lots of variety to keep it interesting. I’ve just last week discovered veloviewer tile collecting. Racing is great fun though and keeps it lively.

At 54 I suppose there will be a natural hard limit at some point, but for now I still seem to be improving. Cycling seems to be superb for physical and mental health.

I'm still hitting new PBs on Zwift. Power may not be as high, but more consistent, and better tactical awareness has helped me

Whorty

54 here too and in much better shape than I was in my 30's. A bit heavier again than a few years ago but then I'm cycling less and weights more - as we age holding on to muscle becomes more difficult so I'm trying to balance weights with cardio but that does leave me above 80kg rather than closer to 75kg which is where I was when I was cycling faster.

As you say though, the exercise is superb for mental health. Having had a couple of breakdowns after Rach died and needing medication and professional support as I was in some pretty dark places, the cycling and gym have been my saviours - no need for meds now and I find both the gym and cycling to be my personal happy places. Had I not been cycling on here with you guys a couple of years ago when I was at my worst I may not be here today!

I still strive for PBs where I can, I want to race and beat those around me (whether racing for 1st or 21st it's all the same) and keep having fun.

We will hit limits as we get older, but as Martin is testament to, our real limits and perceived limits are miles apart. Most of us never get anywhere near our real limits so we will probably still continue to see improvements so long as we keep working hard (I'm lifting heavier weights now in the gym at 54 than I was in my 20s and 30s).

Norry1

Legendary Member
54 here too and in much better shape than I was in my 30's. A bit heavier again than a few years ago but then I'm cycling less and weights more - as we age holding on to muscle becomes more difficult so I'm trying to balance weights with cardio but that does leave me above 80kg rather than closer to 75kg which is where I was when I was cycling faster.

As you say though, the exercise is superb for mental health. Having had a couple of breakdowns after Rach died and needing medication and professional support as I was in some pretty dark places, the cycling and gym have been my saviours - no need for meds now and I find both the gym and cycling to be my personal happy places. Had I not been cycling on here with you guys a couple of years ago when I was at my worst I may not be here today!

I still strive for PBs where I can, I want to race and beat those around me (whether racing for 1st or 21st it's all the same) and keep having fun.

We will hit limits as we get older, but as Martin is testament to, our real limits and perceived limits are miles apart. Most of us never get anywhere near our real limits so we will probably still continue to see improvements so long as we keep working hard (I'm lifting heavier weights now in the gym at 54 than I was in my 20s and 30s).

I've just remembered I was 55 when I set myself "The 60 Challenge" which was to increase my cycling Power Max's every year until I was 60. I managed to achieve this and am keeping this personal challenge going. Happy to report I have hit All-Time Power PB's at 4 levels this year (just 16 to go).

alex_cycles

Veteran
I've just remembered I was 55 when I set myself "The 60 Challenge" which was to increase my cycling Power Max's every year until I was 60. I managed to achieve this and am keeping this personal challenge going. Happy to report I have hit All-Time Power PB's at 4 levels this year (just 16 to go).

Excellent. That's encouraging. ^_^ Certainly judging by the four 50+ Cx races I did in 2022 some of those guys were beasts.

Top Bottom