Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Yeah, confuses me too. I never get too out of breath even at 180 rpm. It's always my legs that fail first. I feel if I could put more through the legs I could probably get my heart rate higher but I just don't have the leg strength. I thin I need to do more HIIT sessions to see if that helps.

I could give you my opinion on how to strengthen your legs. But you said you were on the brink of overtaking me the other week, so I might just keep my opinion to myself! 🙊

bobinski

Legendary Member
From what I have read on t’internet you would have to monitor HR over a long period to identify changes due to improved fitness and the impact of fatigue. There are so many variables including time of day you ride, impact of caffeine etc. Isn’t that why it fell out of favour as a training tool?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yeah, confuses me too. I never get too out of breath even at 180 rpm. It's always my legs that fail first. I feel if I could put more through the legs I could probably get my heart rate higher but I just don't have the leg strength. I thin I need to do more HIIT sessions to see if that helps.

I think the advice is to pretty much ignore HR. Chris Froome has a notoriously low HR. I can't get mine over 162. Best to only compare with yourself, not others.

<Tommy>

From what I have read on t’internet you would have to monitor HR over a long period to identify changes due to improved fitness and the impact of fatigue. There are so many variables including time of day you ride, impact of caffeine etc. Isn’t that why it fell out of favour as a training tool?

not exactly. It is still used as an integral training tool. And gives vital info a power meter can’t. It’s just recognised how many different variables there are which often throw people like us.

bobinski

Legendary Member
not exactly. It is still used as an integral training tool. And gives vital info a power meter can’t. It’s just recognised how many different variables there are which often throw people like us.

Just to highlight this after 2 weeks on a training regime my resting HR average has again dropped from 44 to 34 bpm. Is that a positive due to training or impact of fatigue or what? I don’t know. And thinking about it is probably a trip down the rabbit hole. While power, easily measured and assessed, is up.

<Tommy>

Just to highlight this after 2 weeks on a training regime my resting HR average has again dropped from 44 to 34 bpm. Is that a positive due to training or impact of fatigue or what? I don’t know. And thinking about it is probably a trip down the rabbit hole. While power, easily measured and assessed, is up.

yeah you’ve got to know how read the data. That means comparing it with lots of other things rather than in a vacuum. Sleep, diet, training schedule etc etc etc.

depending on how interested you are (I can here some people beginning to snore already!) people often tend to over simplify power meter data too. Which also has lots of variables to consider if you want to read the data accurately.

Milzy

Guru
having two races both nights would dilute both races though Chris.

7 both nights is my preference. One other suggestion. Weekend race? And also people can post up other regular races they do? I wouldn’t mind joining some hare and hound races or something if anyone fancies it. And the next few weeks my schedule is quite relaxed so I can race during the day if anyone about.
You’re right. There’s more information required. Anybody at the end of a hard block of training will pump faster than Joe bloggs who’s just come back from a week off.

having two races both nights would dilute both races though Chris.

7 both nights is my preference. One other suggestion. Weekend race? And also people can post up other regular races they do? I wouldn’t mind joining some hare and hound races or something if anyone fancies it. And the next few weeks my schedule is quite relaxed so I can race during the day if anyone about.

I did not mean two races , same course over the 2 nights ,one a 6 and the other at 7 and if the beacon didn’t wish to do both nights someone else could be it

hope that’s a bit clearer

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Some people have a big heart and others a smaller. The smaller of course have to work faster to pump the same amount.

I don’t consider myself fit, and I think my race results proves that. . :smile:

Is there a doctor in the house, to give a more informed explanation on HR and fitness?
Couldn't have said it better myself 👍

LBHIFI

Veteran
I can do Tuesday or Thursday.

6pm would be better but 7pm is ok.

I’ve missed the September league through holidays and family stuff. October may be a problem but I’ll maybe race as many weeks as I can.
Being in a +1 hour time zone compared to most of you guys, 6pm suits me better too.

Top Bottom