Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I decided to spend the morning baking cinnamon buns.....mmmmm:hungry:,then the heavens opened , I did some fettling and watched a bit of the TDF before heading out past Looughrigg Tarn towards Skelwith Bridge, then round the east side of Loughrigg Fell and onto the A591. Luckily it wasn't too hectic on a dreich late Monday afternoon (everyone must've been gear shopping in Ambleside....) and I headed north over Le Col de Dunmail, up the east side of Thirlmere and back down the west side (a lovely quiet road). Lots of low cloud and mist swirling around the fells, so I was glad I wasn't up on the tops today, but beautiful to look at in a Turneresque kind of way. Flew back up and over Le Col de Dunmail, then into Grasmere via Easedale Road and back up the lovely Red Bank. Actually I quite enjoy RB, but it's definitely one to avoid on busy days.Just MTFU and get yer sweat on!:training:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.3 miles this day, usual commute, under unexpected threat of thunderstorms. Made it home before it rained. A fine commute, a little better speed, rain stopped in time for me to walk doggies

Gareth C

Veteran

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, nearly posted on the day, but not quite...
After a reasonable midnight finish from w*rk, I had to be in town for an appointment at 10:30 so there was no great rush to be up and away, for a change!
I took a leisurely pedal alongside The Washlands and the River Nene on the old Town & Tesco bike as I didn't want to be turning up at the meeting all sweaty and panting (it was business, not pleasure...). After the business was concluded, I looked around the market and town for a short while before heading home.

DSC_1702.JPG

This chap is quite impressive. There are several of these wood carvings dotted around the town at the moment.

I rode the pretty much the same route back home, with a couple of variations, and stopped to take a pic or two of the teasels beside the Canoe Centre.

DSC_1707.JPG

There were loads of bees hoovering up the pollen today..

Home on 15 miles after a quick circuit of Lings Woods.

https://www.strava.com/activities/350072799

:smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I start a training plan today to get ready for the Oxford Half Marathon in October. The plan consist of running days, cross training days (cycling in my case) and rest days. I've cocked it up already as yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, today a running day and tomorrow a cycling day. I did my three mile run today, I haven't run for a little while, I have got slow again, anyway three miles in 30.49, not the fastest, not the slowest time for me.

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Running.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
I got my ride in early this morning. I set the alarm for 4.45 and was out just in time for a big red sunrise at around 5.15. The sun rose quickly into the clear sky as I meandered down through Priors Marston, Upper Boddington and Claydon to the Farnborough Hall estate where I stopped to read about the restoration work being carried out on the 18th century landscaping, then carried on to the Burton Dassett Hills. This is a country park on a high ridge, where the hollows and spoil-heaps of old quarrying have now worn to round grassy features, and has excellent views over the surrounding countryside. The map on the trig point pointed as far as the Malverns 40 miles away, but they were hidden in the distant haze this morning.

I sat up here for a while and breakfasted on water and a caramel flapjack, then thought I’d better head for work. I stopped to look at Chesterton windmill – it looks so odd that I had always thought it was a folly but it turns out that it was a working windmill built to a unique design in the 1630s. I then rode up through Leamington and Stoneleigh and was at work in Coventry just after 9, having done 42 miles and a fair bit of stopping.

Near Priors Marston around 6 o'clock
20150721 (1) nr Upper Boddington.JPG

Burton Dassett about 7 o'clock
20150721 (4) Burton Dassett 7am.JPG
20150721 (11A) Burton Dassett 7am.jpg

Chesterton windmill a bit later
20150721 (15) Chesterton windmill.JPG

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Just back from a weekend of hills, rock and water. Mountain biking around Ambleside, Little Langdale and Rydal.

Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/349723836

Sunday: https://www.strava.com/activities/349723870

screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-31-27.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-32-56.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-30-53.png

screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-28-26.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-30-04.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-30-59.png

screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-28-34.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-33-54.png
screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-31-10.png

screen-shot-2015-07-20-at-22-32-07.png
Stills above from the video…

All set now for the ‘Ard Rock Enduro in three weeks time!

For now, tapering for Ride London-Surrey 100. Not sure if the weekend was good final preparation, but there you go!
Good luck with the endure.
A cracking area for MTBing.....the Coniston circuit is a must if you haven't already tried it.Good luck with the enduro.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've got the week off work this week, going back home to do some fishing with my dad and one of my brothers. Got up yesterday with the intention of going out for a hundred miler, but sat down with a cup of tea and started watching the telly and that was it, never got out of the house.

So this morning even though it was forecast to be windy I decided I was going out for a short ride. Decided 30 miles would do. So got out and set off into the wind, intention to go to Lutterworth and back, 30 miles easy!

Anyway as I'm heading towards Bruntingthorpe which is 7 or 8 miles from home I worked out that if I headed into Leicester after Lutterworth via the Great Central Way and through to Watermead Park before going home I would stretch it to 40 miles.

By the time I got to Lutterworth I'd worked out if I went to Stoney Stanton before going to Watermead Park, and instead of turning for home from there but going on and into Cossington and Rothley, and then looping around Bradgate Park and then home, I would do a metric century. Yep that will definitely do.

By the time I got around Bradgate Park I'd worked out I was going to be closer to 70 miles than a metric century, so I deviated again so that I would hit 75 miles by the time I got home. By the time I got to Abbey Park (9 miles from home via the GCW) I realised I would be nearer 80 miles, by this time I said sod it, headed into the wind again, got completely knackered and finished on 102 miles, :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/350808679

Just as I walk in the front door ready to collapse my mobile rings, its my lbs telling me my other bike is ready for me, so I then walked just under a mile to collect the bike and rode it home, hardest mile of the day that one!

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I've just read that one out to Mrs ID @Supersuperleeds, she reckons she's heard a similar tale before somewhere (:whistle: ) and is now of the opinion that all cyclists suffer from the same OCD distance thing!

I did a shorter loop, Mrs ID likes to know where I'll be going these days (it was easier when she was at work, I could ad lib it more) so I described my intended route to her and set off. Pretty windy today but planned to have the tail wind to start off, helps the warming up go easier. Headed out through Talaton, Escot (they hold the the 'Beautiful Days' music festival there soon) and Ottery.

East Devon is rolling countryside so the diet of fast descents, high-hedged blind corners and burning, sharp, small rises keeps you warm (not that there was much of a need for it today) and alert if you're trying to crack on. Follow the River Otter for a few km's (the stretch where the returned-to-the-wild Beavers are now living and breeding) and on to the 'big' climb of the route, a 3km, 105m gain hill with a couple of 11% ramps near the top. I didn't do it all at once...
I have to stop and take photos of the view for you lot don't I?;)

DSC00112.JPG

In my minds eye the rest of the route is descending from here towards the Exe estuary.In reality it's a bit more rolling than pure descending although the general trend is downwards. I pass through Woodbury Salterton, all chocolate box thatched cottages (no pictures, it's downhill!) and run a gauntlet of traffic for a few 100 metres on the main A379 Exmouth road to get to the Topsham bike path.
The tide is in so the mud isn't exposed for the wading birds to congregate and feed so I head off to find a good spot in the sun but out of the wind for my flapjack and banana to give me the energy needed to head homewards.
DSC00115.jpg

I'm mentally congratulating myself for having done the bulk of the descending part of the route into the wind and now have turned towards home with it helpfully at my back. Again in my minds eye the homeward stretch is 'flat' but some of the little kickers of no more than 100 or 200 meters serve to give the old heart rate and lungs a shake up.

First ride after a tough couple of weeks with my MS so pretty pleased with my little trundle over 55k, now for a sleep. :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.3 miles this day, very fine and fancy weather, High 78f,26C, 52% rel Hum. Winds NE @5 and a steady glass at 29.93. Less rain the past few days, allowing things to finally dry out a bit. I did finally encounter a Union Pacific freight train on my route, but I was coming down a rather abrupt hill and was unable to get a picture. I wanted to get over the crossing before lights came on and gates came down.

Gareth C

Veteran
Following on from my earlier post...

After a windy Saturday that saw Iain and I riding low around Iron Keld, the night brought torrential rain, scuppering our plans for a Sunday trip up High Street. So we decided on a variant of our Iron Keld ride, this time heading up Claife Heights, which was surprisingly good riding, and then along Windermere on easy tracks before crossing over ourselves and heading back to Iron Keld for the amazing descent. This time it was more like a river, but still very rideable. We then headed down the road to Chesters for coffee and cake, followed by a climb up the road to descend Loughrigg Terrace (again).

screen-shot-2015-07-21-at-22-05-54.png

Back at the Youth Hostel, shower, dinner, and then our weekend of mountain biking was over…

Only the small matter of Ride London-Surrey 100 on 2 August lies between me and the ‘Ard Rock Enduro, so good job to get some time in on the mountain bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Last year I took the opportunity to ride Glossop - Llandudno and this proved to be the precursor to the Manchester - Llandudno CC ride. Fast forward a year and we're here again. Only this time there's no Easterly wind, just prevailing SWerlies. So I bought a ticket online to get me home, mapped a route and.............we're off to the seaside again. Only this time not N Wales, we're off to Scarborough

It's a long way; 112 miles all told. And I've got to get over the Pennines first. Then flat, flat, flat. Then the Yorkshire Wolds. Then the seaside. There's about 5,000ft of climbing which isn't too much but a fair chunk comes right at the end when you're feeling a bit knackered

Pretty warm so dispensed with the rain jacket even before I'd got out of Glossop. Didn't need it all day. There aren't many ways over the Pennines from Glossop that are vaguely in the right direction. The Snake goes the wrong way (sort of SE when I want to go NE). Holme Moss is the right way but it's hard. The other option is the Woodhead Pass. Heads NE....check. Not very steep.....check. But it's really busy. I did it. Not too bad, all the traffic behaved well and the tailwind made it a big ring climb all the way. Managed to touch 52mph down the other side.
On through lots of rolling roads via old S Yorkshire colliery towns that have, sadly, seen better days. After about 35 miles you get to Pontefract which really marks the end of the urban-ish, lumpy stretch and the start of the rural flat stretch. I was feeling good and could bowl along on the flat at 18mph no problem with the tail wind. Endless wheat fields, interspersed with potatoes, leeks (I think) and some other brassicas. We only grow grass in the Peak District....hard to identify some of these crops

-N3CrJp8UgVzbBdgSsn5CpC8yHoPoL6x_4dGGiHqcyM-768x432.jpg

I think the red thing is a bit of farm machinery. At least I hope that's what it is

I'd brought some flapjack with me to keep me going but after about 60 miles I was in need of lunch. Problem is that skirting around York, the villages are small cafes are few and far between. I got to Wheldrake.....no café. But it does have a pub. So I had very pleasant thick-cut ham sandwiches and chips. And a pint of course

J7x2A6UsBZWRYR-IP43Y3Owuo5C_TUyuOCtBEmBhunU-432x768.jpg

Another flat 20 miles or so to follow. Wildlife wasn't terribly interesting. There were a few chiffchaffs and whitethroats still singing. What was really noticeable was the Yellowhammers. They just don't exist in the Peak District. But in E Yorkshire they're everywhere singing.

The Yorkshire Wolds. These hills aren't as well known as the Dales or the N Yorks Moors. But let me tell you, they're hard. Particularly with 80 miles in the legs. The climb out of Uncleby was a real struggle. A full mile of 9% with a half mile stretch of 11%. Here's the view at the top looking back to the flatlands I'd come from

GFzU5J6v6e9sUE5Dja-ArOKAuGagdPYEdMGrCuRw40E-768x432.jpg

Managed to see a butterfly I'd never seen before too; Marbled White. They are a S England species but the y have an outpost in the Wolds

Up another hill I came across this field. It was full of purple flowers. I don't recognise them. Is it the flowering of a crop? They were only in this field so I am guessing it's a crop

8Emc42i-jTu5_Sv0Ix1amfxfiPbC_6S7ENk_WDeMQ_4-768x432.jpg

The riding started to get a bit easier and the final 20 miles run to Scarborough were excellent. It's interesting on these long rides to see how your cycling performance varies. For the first 50 miles I felt great. Then I started to feel some fatigue. About an hour after eating lunch I felt great again. I guess I just needed to eat and then it took a while for the food to take effect

Speaking of food.....can't go to the seaside and not have fish and chips.

d8BmamiCV0pyv3tI_-gu87iGffR6SomDnA7UPRfK3Nk-768x432.jpg

Those bits of batter in amongst the chips are "scraps". Not sure if this is a Northern thing but the fryer saves the bits of cooked batter and you can request to have them (free) with your chips. Pure batter....with salt. Delicious (and justifiable after such a long ride)

Last photo; seaside. It was about 6pm by then and not particularly warm. Doesn't do justice to a nice beach

K_LXlHaAY96hQalTbjxZnL16IF8TVvldj_yIO9Am2aI-768x432.jpg

Had a tootle around town. Nice rum and raisin ice cream

Train back home with a few beers to keep me company. Great day out

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Those bits of batter in amongst the chips are "scraps". Not sure if this is a Northern thing but the fryer saves the bits of cooked batter and you can request to have them (free) with your chips. Pure batter....with salt. Delicious (and justifiable after such a long ride)
Over here, for some reason, they are known as Krums, or Krummen.

Top Bottom