Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
spent the day out with @Ruthie we meet at Archers ^_^ and choose to go to Richmond via Piercebridge-Eppleby -Caldwell then a little single track road to west Layton over the A66 to Ravensworth after which I missed a turn.. :shy: (its am AGE thing)..:laugh: and ended up dragging her up a couple of longish drags :ohmy: of which I apologised ...but I got the young lady her lunch in Richmond (fish finger sandwich's)..:ohmy: and ruthie is still talking to me :okay: returned via Brompton on swale-Scorton-Barton-Darlington...then I came along the A167 cyclepath got 51 miles in ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/351833766

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 19911152052_ca11a2f23d_k.jpg
    19911152052_ca11a2f23d_k.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Two more commutes for me on monday and today, feeling strong now and well up for the tour. Even got rained on a few times and didn't mind :biggrin:

40 miles for the week so far, but won't be doing much more now as I set off next monday with a bike as my only transport for 8 days and I want to be nice and fresh for day 1 at least.

Getting quite excited now :hyper:

Ruthie

Über Member
spent the day out with @Ruthie we meet at Archers ^_^ and choose to go to Richmond via Piercebridge-Eppleby -Caldwell then a little single track road to west Layton over the A66 to Ravensworth after which I missed a turn.. :shy: (its am AGE thing)..:laugh: and ended up dragging her up a couple of longish drags :ohmy: of which I apologised ...but I got the young lady her lunch in Richmond (fish finger sandwich's)..:ohmy: and ruthie is still talking to me :okay: returned via Brompton on swale-Scorton-Barton-Darlington...then I came along the A167 cyclepath got 51 miles in ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/351833766
View attachment 97324

View attachment 97325

View attachment 97326

View attachment 97327
That was a blummin' lovely day out that theloafer, I didn't mind the hills at all, yes I struggled but the sense of achievement when you get to the top makes it worth it, plus the brilliant views. I'd never have found those lanes without you, so many thanks again for your excellent company and a fabulous day.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Today's ride largely followed Mondays route on the hybrid again, but having time to spare, I decided to carry on along Manston Lane rather than heading home over Pendas Fields.
This meant that I could reverse my route up Barnbow Lane, climbing the steep rocky hill I'd earlier cycled down at a considerably faster speed...
This also meant climbing up to and through Scholes before a final downhill flyer down Wood Lane - however I chose the smoother looking route here but right at the bottom of the hill found that earthworks had been put in place preventing me from regaining the main route. Faced with a choice of retracing my steps back up the hill, or pushing the bike through the narrow gap in the undergrowth. I decided to push, managing to scrape my shin in the process. Still, what's a bit of blood in the grand scheme of things? ;)

Total of 12.22 miles in 1hr 11m at an average of 10.3 mph and 492ft of climbing - I'm happy enough with that considering the extra climbing I threw in.:bicycle:

sgl5gjr

Not been on much recently...... business been brisk (good..lol) plus been away on holiday. We went to France early this month and did some cycling in the Le Havre area and also near Honfleur. Superb roads even the back roads and some really super Col's to cycle up and down. Found a lovely long and gradual 9 mile climb...... not as tough as you'd think and the drop back down after doing some market "shopping" (not much room in cycle jerseys) was thrilling ....... we Watch the Tour De France Stage 6 at Etretat at the last climb of the day..... brilliant..... since back in blighty we rode in Worcstershire and this week apart from 4 x 6 mile commutes to the local town we did a 29.1 mile round trip from Huntingdon to St Ives and up the Busway towards Cambridge turning around at Oakington... off in 20 mins to cycle 4 miles to Physio to check out the progress of my Sciatica....... My Teen said yesterday...... Dad... these Mountain Bikes are hard work.... that was after a good set of miles in on her Road Bike in France and back in the UK inc the 29.1 miler......

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
probably flax/linseed

I'm intrigued. It appears not to be flax/linseed. I took a closer photograph

20150721_153653.jpg

As I said, we only grow grass in the Peak District so I've no idea what this is. Yorkshire Wolds soil is chalk. Maybe it is a wild flower that just loves the location?

I got this stock photo off the internet of flax/linseed as comparison

Linen-flax.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
As I said, we only grow grass in the Peak District so I've no idea what this is.
I grew up in west Wales and we grew grass, sheep, and the occasional field of straw. Moving to Somerset with its red soil, unfenced fields and acre after acre of not-animal was a real shock to the system. This is my fifth summer here and I still feel like a visitor for that reason.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
This ride is actually for yesterday (Wednesday 22).
Bruges to Dunkirk.

We left Bruges early and seemed to do miles and miles of cobbles before hitting the canal route out of the city.

After 3 weeks of riding on a variety of surfaces through Belgium and Holland i have renewed respect for those chaps that race on the cobbles, my spine felt like it vibrated away from my body on several occassions.

The sun was out and it was a little breezy but still tshirt weather. There were lots of cyclists out along the canal route which took us to the outskirts of Oostend and along the coast. As we hit the coast we hit the head wind which grew as we got closer to Dunkirk.

The route Google took us was a great route on some lovely cycle paths.
20150722_090446.jpg
20150722_105810.jpg

:eek: and i worry about my bum. This boy was on steroids with this muscle definition.
20150722_113109.jpg

20150722_113929.jpg

After a nice lunch in De Paane we travelled the last 29k in a dreadful headwind. It was like cycling through glue.

Finally we entered France.

We stayed at the Ibis in Dunkirk which at £30 for a twin room was a bargin and it was nice,clean and had friendly staff.

Beware if you are travelling via Dunkirk. The DFDS terminal is 19k from the centre of the town. With all the current chaos at the French ports this took us an hour and a half.

Attachments

• 20150722_145413.jpg
    20150722_145413.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 31

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm intrigued. It appears not to be flax/linseed. I took a closer photograph

View attachment 97362

As I said, we only grow grass in the Peak District so I've no idea what this is. Yorkshire Wolds soil is chalk. Maybe it is a wild flower that just loves the location?

I got this stock photo off the internet of flax/linseed as comparison

Linen-flax.jpg

Bit naff to quote myself but my Mum has come up trumps

It's Phacelia. Not native to UK but is sown to act as a regenerative to the soil ie. it isn't harvested. it is ploughed back into the soil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phacelia

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A ride on my Mountain Bike today, it was supposed to be a rest day, but I thought I'd go for a quick blast over The Ridgway and blow some cobwebs off me and the MTB.

16.25 miles up to The Ridgway down to East Isley then back up and long to Ginge, nearly all off road and fantastic scenery. The great thing about MTB'ing, there is no one on a car to pi$$ one off.

01-IMG_2055.JPG

A bit early for harvesting innit?
03-IMG_2058.JPG

That green strip of trees and bushes in the middle is the old railway cutting.

04-IMG_2060.JPG

The Ridgway.
05-IMG_2062.JPG

Ditto
06-IMG_2066.JPG

Keeping cool/
07-IMG_2069.JPG

Well, I never knew that,
08-IMG_2070.JPG

The chap just in front of the chap with the rucksack is the comedian Bill Baily.

09-IMG_2072.JPG

I went right down there...FAST:bicycle:
10-IMG_2074.JPG

Whittenham Clumps on the horizon.
MTB ride.jpg

A nice ride out.

Top Bottom