Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Today I conquered hills! 2,428 feet elevation.
46.2 miles, including a Skyride local 27 miler : Manchester Wildlife and Wilderness.
I rode to Heaton Park, where the ride started, then we rode towards, up, down and over the hills of Oldham. Cake and coffee stop at a garden centre in Uppermill.
My first Skyride with a great bunch of people, I was the only female and mostly the slowest on the ups and mostly the fastest on the downs. Several 7 %ers! Great views, when it wasn't raining. Windy sunshine for the second half.

https://www.strava.com/activities/349432433

Over 100Km's, lovely weather, one crash (I got a 'neutral' when I pulled for a gear on a 25% climb and went down like a sack of shyte:laugh:) and a Sky ride. Beautiful.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

:B):thumbsup:

Diggs

Veteran
So many rides going through my neck of the woods today but myself and my old mate decided on an extra hour or so in bed and an independant ride with his son.
And despite the odd cloud and an occasional headwind it was a lovely day.
rawl ride.jpg

Stopping off at Radical bikes, for a drink and a comfort break, which I think our young rider was quite taken with (I'm not sure if somersaults on bikes are really me though).

rad bikes.jpg

Edit Actually, let's give them a bit of a plug, the guy who runs it seems a really nice guy and very welcoming http://radicalbikes.co.uk/

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Nearly the usual Sunday morning pootle with our lass. However number two son decided to join us again, so we set off later than normal as we waited for him to drag his lazy arse out of bed.

Number two son then decided to have a tumble about 7 or 8 miles into the ride, no idea what happened, one minute he was riding along, the next he is on the floor. He was fine, bike has a few scuffs on it.

Rather than stopping in Watermead Park for our usual coffee, we stopped at the pub and had a quick bite and a pint, number 2 son was then complaining he was tired, so we cut the ride short and rather than the usual 29-30 miles we ended on 27.

Apart from a minutes or so of rain it was nice and sunny if not a bit windy.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I left you last as we arrived in Namur on Thursday.

Namur itself was ok, nothing to right home about but the Eco hotel just out of the city was truly the pits.

Anyway Friday dawned and we left as soon as we could. We decided, after much toingandfroing with French SNCF trains that our initial idea of getting the train from Charleville Mezieries up to Lille the following week was just not going to happen in an easy or cost effective way with the bikes so we cut our losses and got the train from Mamur to Ghent via Brussels. It was cheap and easy apart from having to haul the bikes onto the train and being packed like sardines. Ok for me as a London commuter but not for Hop.

However it was all worth it. Ghent was brilliant and somewhere i would certainly recommend. The city has real soul and we arrived on the last day of the Jazz festival so heaven for me and the start of the 10 day Ghent Festival.

Our b&b i'm betting was the best and owned by a fabulous Flemish lady with an enormous love for her city and her beautiful 17th C Home.

I could bore you witless with the amount of pictures i took but just for a flavour here are a couple.

20150718_100512(0).jpg
20150718_104445_6_bestshot.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Today began with a heavy heart because we were leaving Ghent and it was pouring with rain.

Our destination was Bruges for 3 days.

20150719_101445.jpg
20150719_105254.jpg
20150719_132641.jpg

The ride was a peice of cake as it followed the river all the way on LF5.

At one point in the ride we were overtaken by 4 MAMILS who charged ahead on the path MAC 10 speed. A few moments later they charged back at the point we followed a diversion and a few minutes later they charged past again at speed finally having found the diversion. About 30 minutes up the path we came along them again with a mechanical. There was no way we were going to stop and offer advice after all what could two women know that Ettixx Quickstep and Saxo Tinkoff MAmils not know. To be fair one of them did chuckle as we cruised past. They finally overtook us just outside the city and they laughed and waved at the two touring plodders that beat them home.

Thankfully the weather improved outside the city and we managed to find a hotel and dump our kit before a well earnt beer whilst we dried out.

... and relax .

Spike on a bike

Über Member
Today's ride took me over to my sisters in Deopham as she's not been well
Probably stay there an hour.
Then over to wymondham where I meant to take a picture of the Abbey to post but there was lots of touristy traffic so I forgot
Them from wymondham out towards Tacolneston and a twisty turny ride back home
Picture is the TV mast at Tacolneston and possibly my bike at a comfort stop
As normal run keeper got lost and so I'm not sure but I think poss 30 ish miles image.jpg image.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Woke up this morning to the hammering of rain on the window. Looked out to see monsoon like rain and a river (almost) running down the street.
By the time I was ready to go for a paper the rain had stopped, and by the time I got back home the sun was out.
"Why don't you go out for a ride?" said Mrs ND - like I needed asking twice... :rolleyes:
I decided to take the hybrid - given the earlier rain i didn't fancy getting the road bike grotted up, so back into my baggy shorts after yesterdays adventures in Lycra...
Off road and up Wood Lane to Scholes, on road down to the Coronation Tree and then off road again on Bog Lane and Barnbow Lane - passed a fellow cyclist looking at a map at the bottom of the hill (all OK, just deciding which way to go), and up to Manston Lane, where I turned left onto Nanny Goat Lane for a change, where a horse rider who wished me a good ride as she passed. This bridleway heads through the countryside towards Garforth, passing under the M1. Out the other side, past the stables and riding school onto the blacktop down to Barwick Road - bouncing over most of the barely visible speed bumps...good job I hadn't locked the front fork out at this point.
Left again and back over the M1 bridge before crossing Cock Beck and climbing back up to Parlington Lane (NCN R66), where I turned right onto the bridleway and headed to Aberford through the woods. Passed a fair few walkers and dog walkers here, plus a lad on a MTB heading in the opposite direction very slowly, then caught up with a couple of slow moving horse riders who saw me but took an absolute age faffing about before letting me pass :rolleyes: - I just hung back until they'd sorted Dobbin and Hercules out. On through the woods and the 'haunted' tunnel before the run onto Aberford where I stopped for 5 mins and a drink. Two guys on exotic looking machinery and wearing FPK came down the hill from the Lotherton Hall direction - and said hello as they whizzed by.
I returned the way I'd come through the woods, I passed the horse riders from earlier without any fuss this time and then out towards Long Lane. Straight across and down Ellis Lane and the bridleway across the golf course - just off the golf course I passed the lad from earlier with the MTB who was pushing it at this point. When he heard me approaching he jumped back on and started riding again, but waved me through. Left onto Barnbow Lane (again) and this time I went left then right at the top and took the Leeds Country Way up the field and across the railway bridge - I think this might technically be a footpath, but I've seen bikes use it regularly and there are vehicle tracks all the way through the field, which I stuck to, so no harm done. Then back out onto NCN R66 where it crosses the M1 on a bridge and then the run down to Thorpe Park. More horse riders here (4 of them!), so I went onto the road to give them a wide berth (R66 is also a bridleway here), then across the hard standing and up onto Barrowby Lane then Austhorpe Lane for the downhill blast to the bridge over the railway. Down Manston Lane to Pendas Fields, then through there and up to home.
Needless to say after the overnight rain there were a lot of puddles, but despite being covered in mud I had great fun.

15.95 miles (I know, not paying attention again!) 1h 31m at an average of 10.5mph, plus one PB.

Then once home, time to clean and lube the very muddy bike while Mrs ND was busy baking for a charity bake off at her work tomorrow - we are becoming quite domesticated in our middling years.;)
I may have sampled some of this baking while fettling the bike - purely for quality control purposes, obviously:giggle:

The great shame of this is that Leeds Council have plans to build over huge swathes of this route, with a dual carriageway and associated development either side of it, meaning this great green space and productive farmland right on the edge of the city will be lost forever. Don't think for a minute that I'm some kind of NIMBY, but there are a lot of places in the local area that appear more suitable for development first...

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After missing a few weeks, it was back to club riding for me today. Due to holidays and other commitments, there was a small turnout of just 5 of us this morning - Dean, Claire, "Kingsway Dave" ,"Cannondale Dave" and me. None of us had thought for a moment about where we were heading today, hoping someone else would take the lead. Maybe I lack imagination, but I ended up suggesting exactly where I went to on my audax last week, being the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the Forest of Dean. (If they were going to name a heritage centre after him, Dean might as well be taken there).

And so it was that I led us out northwards into Gloucester, where we crossed the Severn at Over Bridge (old picture):
Aug 2014 017.jpg

Straight after that we hit the headwind ... Thankfully, the 2 Daves also took turns at the front, but I still found myself putting in a bit of an effort even to cycle slightly downhill into it at one point. As soon as we spotted a sign for Northwood Green, we got off the A48 and immediately felt the shelter from the hedgerows, and it was nice to be able to chat as we rode along the quieter lanes towards Flaxley and up the hill to Littledean. Unfortunately, at this point, Dean had to turn back because of his knee, and Claire also left us to keep him company on the ride back home. One of the Daves started to worry about how long it was going to take, too, so the 3 of us settled for getting up past Flaxley Abbey to the high point of the forest at Littledean, and then turning for home along the A4151. This proved particularly "interesting" for me, as I had deliberately chosen a route originally that would avoid any fast, steep descents. I need a new rear brake cable, and it had taken me an hour of fettling to get the rear brake to work at even 50% of its usual strength. So cue one twisting 35mph descent, then. Once back down in Westbury on Severn, I was finally able to unclench.

For anyone who is thinking of climbing up into the Forest of Dean for the first time, I can recommend this route from Northwood Green to Flaxley to Littledean, as it winds it way around gently by a side entrance, neatly avoiding all of the steeper bits. From my flatnav, here is the route we took. The pink bits are today's ride, superimposed on a map I prepared for last week's 100km audax -(the black bits) - which was also a great route, mostly on quiet roads, and utilising the same gentle climb to Littledean:
206.jpg

A cracking, brisk pace set today, partly due to being blown home by a stiff SW wind, and partly because we were mainly on A roads. In all, 35.1 miles in 2 hours 25 mins today. I think that may be the first time I have ever averaged over 14mph (including stops) on a decent length ride. Back home an hour earlier than usual, so I got to see what Mrs Donger gets up to while I'm out. (A bit of a beauty sleep today!).
Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a few pics of this afternoon's 17 miler along the Lodes Way here in the flatlands

image.jpg

The weeds along the cycle path next to the B1102 have almost joined up in the middle! Hopeless.

image.jpg

The road from Lode. It has some pleasing curves to it- unusual in a landscape dominated largely by straight lines.

image.jpg

Another rare curve at White Fen

image.jpg

One for any wheat fans - taken on a track near Reach. The first combines of the season were in action hereabouts today. Amazing how fast time flies by. Another harvest already.

A bit blowy here today but lovely in the sunshine.

Top Bottom