Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanddancer

First commute of the year yesterday.
It's only my 8th shift back though. :biggrin:
Still here on 12 hour night.
Ride home in 3 hours at 7am.

My ride home from work was pretty eventless.
quite a slow speed of about 13.5mph average.
i have posted again because
A , I like this "your ride today thread" :smile:
B , I think the older pair of bib tights I have from lidl are causing me a bit of discomfort but I am still experimenting with kit. :biggrin:
C, taking up cycling more seriously since I stopped smoking a few years ago has been a revelation and no more a chore.
i enjoyed my ride home this morning in the cold and even with the painful posterior I wanted to put more miles in but I needed to get home as soon as possible so stuck to the 8 miles.

D , I'm 49 this year. I hope to broaden my cycling and start swimming again.
Keep the my ride today posts coming peeps, and the pics , they are a great inspiration ;)

sanddancer

Cracking ride yesterday in the snow! I was considering taking the CX until I opened the curtains and saw the depth of snow laying. Al my regular bunch of mates were working, so it was just me out today, though there were a few others out to play, with lots of joggers and kids enjoying the weather.

View attachment 116244

After a quick espresso, I set off in the general direction of Overstone, Moulton and Pitsford to do a few circuits of the reservoir.

View attachment 116238

A track through the ruins of Overstone House.

View attachment 116239

Old farmhouse near the reservoir.

View attachment 116241

Surprisingly, the gears still changed!

View attachment 116240

Yours truly, courtesy of the 10 second timer on the camera..

View attachment 116242

Always good to have an ice cream on a ride. Added energy with the flake :okay:

By the time I was riding home, the roads were slushy and not particularly nice to pedal on. Still, it was only about 5 miles before getting home.

30 fun filled miles, feeling like a lot more due to the resistance of riding through quite deep snow!

https://www.strava.com/activities/472308597

:smile:

BRILLIANT. ... ;)
Love it. Made me laugh too you mad git :biggrin:

IBarrett

Über Member
I didn't commute today but I got that itchy feeling that I needed to at least get a short ride in.
All the way home I was looking at the roads and decided they were dry so I was going out.
A quick change and I told the Mrs I was just going round the block. But I'd only just warmed up when I would have been turning for home so I tagged a little bit extra on with a biggish hill climb
I did nearly 15 miles and though it was freezing I enjoyed it,

I also saw the back of a guy going hell for leather as he past me standing on the pedals.
And a bunch of friends from Syston on MTBs about to pop into a local pub.
So there were a few other nutters out there in the cold and the dark ;-)

sanddancer

Haha can I just add.
got some strange looks in work last night when I wheeled my bike in and half stripped it to clean it.
"Why are you doing that, it will get dirty again" was met with "look after your bike and it will look after you"
One or two commented on their warm car to which I replied "yes I have one too but also some enjoyment in life and I'm healthy" :biggrin:
then the tech questions started like "how do you oil the chain and keep it so clean" ?
:biggrin:

Katherine

Guru
I was doing loops off the East Lancs path and went past the back of Haydock golf course. A chap with binoculars was looking at the main line so I asked him if there was anything interesting due. ( I think he was wondering what I was doing strolling along with my bike looking at the wall!! - - see the photo challenge thread). Yes, Flying Scotsman is due in 5 minutes!! So I parked my bike against the hedge and waited.... And waited... And waited. After half an hour I was cold and couldn't feel my feet so that was it. I was an hour cycling time from home too. Plenty of practice of zooming and panning on my phone!

My ride home from work was pretty eventless.
quite a slow speed of about 13.5mph average.
i have posted again because
A , I like this "your ride today thread" :smile:
B , I think the older pair of bib tights I have from lidl are causing me a bit of discomfort but I am still experimenting with kit. :biggrin:
C, taking up cycling more seriously since I stopped smoking a few years ago has been a revelation and no more a chore.
i enjoyed my ride home this morning in the cold and even with the painful posterior I wanted to put more miles in but I needed to get home as soon as possible so stuck to the 8 miles.

D , I'm 49 this year. I hope to broaden my cycling and start swimming again.
Keep the my ride today posts coming peeps, and the pics , they are a great inspiration ;)
Once you start upgrading your clothing, you'll not stop

Old jon

Guru
I used to go to the sun inn other side of pool bank for Sunday evening motorbike meet. Murgatroyds chippy now when I visit parents. Otley chevin, ilkley moor......oh the memories. Enjoyed the ride report :okay:

The Sun on Norwood Edge? Many a happy visit there. There is an endless list from my motorcycling days, all a little too far for the old legs . . .

IBarrett

Über Member
One or two commented on their warm car to which I replied "yes I have one too but also some enjoyment in life and I'm healthy" :biggrin:
then the tech questions started like "how do you oil the chain and keep it so clean" ?
:biggrin:
I had the same the other night as I was getting ready to go home. An office smart ass tells me how warm it was in his car on the way in and how he warm he was going to be going home. My reply was "thats OK, the trade off is I get to eat what I want whereas you are on a diet."
He is a few stones overweight so it raised a few laughs and I doubt he will chirp up again :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm going to hire/ take bike on a 4 week job in Spain this year that was greeted with comments of you f***ing tool, why do that... Cycle, to site then back again. You knob....I will be necking a slack gallon by time you get back. .....we get hire cars you nonce, ah just run him off road....

Now you can see why I would rather cycle alone than be in a hire car with you lot. 12 hours a day is as much fool as anyone can take

Old jon

Guru
A foggy morning, which seemed to be clearing at about ten o'clock. Ever the optimist, off I went. For all the time I spend looking at the map, I do not add much in the way of difference to my rides, but there it is.

Jack Lane, Marshall Street, Water Lane. Hol Beck at a normal level, and the mist has seemingly vanished. All the way through Hunslet and up the climb to John o' Gaunts and a return of the fog, which vanished as I turned off for Woodlesford. Rothwell Bike Shop still closed. In the river valley fog was winning again, and all the way through Swillington. At the top of the hill Garforth was clear, past Peckfield I could see drifts of fog and clear patches for quite some distance south. Anyway, turn off for Micklefield and this is what you see:--

and on to Lotherton Hall. My feet were freezing, so I called into the café for a thaw ( and a rest ). Midday is the time I try to guess how far the ride might be, and as usual I was wrong. I completed 32.3 miles by riding home through Aberford, Barwick, Scholes, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes, more or less as usual, and through Roundhay.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just got back from the Wednesday club ride. 57.5 miles there and back in 4 hr 28 minutes to Roots Cafe in Catforth near Preston. It was absolutely freezing when we set off this morning, with fog and ice a danger, but the afternoon warmed up a little, so it wasn't too bad on the return journey. 5 quid for a cup of coffee and a small bowl of porridge by the way!:ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm going to hire/ take bike on a 4 week job in Spain this year that was greeted with comments of you f***ing tool, why do that... Cycle, to site then back again. You knob....I will be necking a slack gallon by time you get back. .....we get hire cars you nonce, ah just run him off road....

Now you can see why I would rather cycle alone than be in a hire car with you lot. 12 hours a day is as much fool as anyone can take
It's about 11 hours 59 minutes a day more than I could take - I feel for you! :thumbsdown:

Top Bottom