Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

56 miles the journey, Earlswood the destination, I went into the craft centre today rather than the Plant Centre. Dry morning for a change, cold with a cold strong wind slowing me down and making me work harder than I wanted. late getting up so had abandon plans to join a club ride, out of Coventry across hearsall Common, through malfunction junction and through Tile Hill to Balsall Common, coming out of Balsall Common I came across the Solihull slow group and sat in till Hatton, lefrt them and continued past Hatton Country World and through Lowsonford to Earlswood. Lots of people out in the lanes, cyclists, horse riders, dog walkers and walkers, everybody enjoying the dry weather. Riding out of the cafe I turned right past The Plant Centre and though Tanworth In Arden then turned left onto Pig Trot Lane to join my route out, then I turned through Hockley Heath and on though Chadwick End to Balsall Common and across Coventry home. A better ride than Tuesday, but I'm still slower than a slow thing on tranquillizers, but there were glimpses of my old self so I'm getting better, tired now but happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
40 miles and 2100ft of climbing this morning . Headed north west out of Gloucester in a group of 6 along the a40 before cutting north through some of the muckiest lanes I've encountered for a good while . Eventually we arrived at Newent which we skirted northward and headed to Redmarley before one of the group punctured forcing us to stop and get cold for 10 minutes before we could get going again . We soon warmed up though as we turned south towards Harpbury into a keen headwind and finally back into Gloucester via the difficult Over roundabout . Not the longest or quickest of rides but quite technical given the conditions and the relentless undulations . Fortunately the group was an experienced one so plenty of signals and calls to keep everyone safe . Garmin showed a 16mph average by the time I stepped off the bike . Missed the rain too . Result.

P.s still can't figure out how to post pics or insert links
If the pics are on your computer click on "Upload a File" next to the "Post Reply" button and it'll open a small window from which you can click on the "browse" button to find the file you want.

With links you just copy the address from address bar at the top of the page you want to insert and paste it into your message or, if you want to be a bit flash, highlight the text you want to make into a link then on the toolbar for the new message click on the icon first right after the text ones (should say "link" if you hover over it) and paste the link into the dialogue box that appears.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My first metric half century of 2016 and I picked a hilly one to give myself a challenge, by scaling The Wrekin from the harder direction for the first time. Having not done a big hilly ride since October it was hard going, especially into the strong breeze that seemed to be in my face for virtually the whole ride :wacko:

Set off along the cycle paths and past the Sports Village, where the 2nd day of racing in the National Cyclocross Championships was just starting, and then out onto the roads to Upton Magna. There was an awful lot of water and mud on the roads, which was to get worse as the ride went on.

I then went through Upton Forge and stopped on the bridge over the Tern for a snack and a photo.

Water everywhere!
View attachment 115487

Whilst on the bridge an Audi came storming up to the bridge, having become another victim of the Satnav error here! They looked all shocked that their way was blocked by a narrow bridge and big stone, and the female driver obviously didn't fancy the 3 point turn now required, with me looking, so swapped with the chap and he did the turn and sped off back the way they'd come from :laugh:

I continued up to Wroxeter Roman Village and then took the NCN route around through the modern Wroxeter, and came across 2 floods. The 1st was fine, but the 2nd far from it, being much longer and deeper than I thought it would be and with water up to the axle I had to dip both feet in the icy cold water and filled my shoes up :cry::cold:.

I stopped after climbing the hill the other side, bailed my shoes out and wrung some water out of my socks, but that meant feet like blocks of ice for the remaining 20 miles of the ride.

I crossed the busy Ironbridge road and climbed up to the crossroads, before turning left and the very steep but short climb up Charlton Hill, pausing at the top for a breather and a photo.

Nice sunny shot of The Wrekin
View attachment 115488

There was then a nice downhill section to Wrekin Course, which is a steady climb from this direction. I then began the serious climb of the ride, one which appears in Simon Warren's book of 100 best climbs in the UK, from the bottom of The Wrekin up to Little Wenlock. It was not very enjoyable to start with, due to a multitude of stupid drivers making a pigs ear of trying park amongst the hundreds of cars abandoned by walkers heading up The Wrekin. I negotiated them and then the initial climb through the trees isn't too bad, other than a knob head in a sick green Fiat Uno who passed me closely on a sharp bend and cut across the front of me. I try not to react these days, but he had a gesture, idiot. :cursing:

The climb then seriously ramps up once you leave the trees and boy it was hard work. 784 ft climb in 1 mile, my biggest single climb yet on a bike.

I was glad to reach the top and then enjoy the long descent to Little Wenlock and down Spout Lane. I then turned left and continued downhill on a section of new road for me, through Eaton Constantine. I paused for lunch at the crossroads before pressing on down to Cressage, crossing the A458 and the climb up Shore Lane to Harnage and Cound. There is another lumpy section to Eaton Mascott and Berrington, and I then encountered my second stupid old knob head, in a roller skate Mercedes, who squeezed past me on a very narrow section, when if he'd waited 10 seconds there was a pull in. He had a gesture and a verbal volley because it was downright bloody stupidity. Why are some drivers such complete prats with a brain the size of a pea? :cursing:

I was flagging by now and it was a slow crawl to Betton and home.

35.5 miles, 1605 ft of climbing
Ah, you got wet too. Shame about the idiots. Glad you've got the ride done in that direction though - hard work but quite satisfying I find.^_^

gavgav

Legendary Member
Well, that didn't go to plan....

The aim today was to get my metric century in for January (I'm not planning to do the Imperial challenge this year) so with uncertainty about the forecast weather it looked best to get out early to try and avoid the worst of the showers.

I was on the road a little before eight and relished the quiet roads through Condover and up towards Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. I was riding against a brisk headwind and using the knockabout bike so wasn't quick, which showed when three riders overtook and just strolled away into the distance.

Near Longnor there were signs saying the road ahead was closed, but fortunately it looks like it's just been reopened and they've missed a few signs. The old Roman road was getting in a bit of a state - potholed, rough and often very muddy. Now though it has a new surface (not the best I've ridden but still nice and new), and they've worked on extra drainage too so it shouldn't get as muddy :wahhey:, for a while at least.;)

The climb up to Folly Bank (known as Bufton's Bank to you Stravaites) slowed me down again but was sheltered from the icy wind and a welcome chance to get warmed up again. At the top I thought I'd go a different way for a change so turned right and carried on climbing on the road to Willstone where there are some good views.

It's a nice descent from Willstone to Cardington but this was where things went wrong. As I went through the ford at the end of the lane my wheels just went out from under me and I got unceremoniously dunked in the brook.:sad:

Once I'd got out (at the second attempt - it was that slippery) and found I didn't appear to have hurt myself I had to make a decision about whether to carry on I was just over quarter of the way into the planned trip but now soaked down my left side and the panniers had been dunked too so that the spare layers in them were sopping. Luckily the spare gloves I had weren't wet so I could at least keep my hands from freezing but it didn't seem sensible to go on especially as I knew I'd be coming out of the shelter of the hills shortly and into that cold headwind again.

Reluctantly I decided to abandon and cut the ride short. It was easiest now to take advantage of the wind direction and have it help me home past Longville, Hughley and Kenley then to Acton Burnell again and back more or less the way I'd come.

While writing this I'm glancing out of the window at a beautifully sunny day with no sign of the showers forecast and the wind has died down so I could have had a nice run to Ludlow and back if I'd stuck to the original route planned. Pah!:angry:

32.6 miles this trip, 11.8mph average and my panniers smell like a duck pond now.

View attachment 115441
Quite a nice sunrise near Cantlop

View attachment 115442
Between Longnor and Leebotwood - fresh tarmac, new passing places and better drainage. I'm a happy cyclist.

View attachment 115443
One of my favourite places to view Caer Caradoc

View attachment 115444
On the road to Willstone.

View attachment 115445

Looking at Sham Castle. Not the best photo I'm afraid as cold hands and thick gloves don't help photography it seems.

View attachment 115446
It's turned into a beautiful day. Shame I'm a bit soggy to enjoy it.;)

A like doesn't seem quite right here, but you deserve one for joining the wet club!! At least mine was only wet feet and that sounds nasty. At least you weren't hurt :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A like doesn't seem quite right here, but you deserve one for joining the wet club!! At least mine was only wet feet and that sounds nasty. At least you weren't hurt :okay:
Thanks. I think I was quite lucky. The worst thing (apart from getting cold and wet) was the finger tips on my left hand were numb for a while. All seems normal now though. I'll probably find a few aches in the morning.

gordyfinbar

Über Member
If the pics are on your computer click on "Upload a File" next to the "Post Reply" button and it'll open a small window from which you can click on the "browse" button to find the file you want.

With links you just copy the address from address bar at the top of the page you want to insert and paste it into your message or, if you want to be a bit flash, highlight the text you want to make into a link then on the toolbar for the new message click on the icon first right after the text ones (should say "link" if you hover over it) and paste the link into the dialogue box that appears.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes thanks

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A really good "Chilled Group" club ride today for the five of us, including @Dark46 and @Frazzle. The rain just about stayed away, and the temperature never got below 1.7 degrees. There were a few muddy puddles and one or two wind affected stretches, but overall a very nice route in my favourite conditions. Headed out of Gloucester on the A40 to Birdwood, before heading up Bulley Lane to Tibberton, Kent's Green and then Newent.

Being the "Chilled Group", it would have seemed wrong not to make a cafe stop, so we departed from the official route to scour Newent in vain for any cafe that was open. I remembered that there is a was a Christian book shop/ cafe by Newent Lake (called the "Good News Cafe") so we turned off the High Street to give it a go. Turned out it was the bad news cafe today, as there was a "closed" sign hanging in the window, so we headed off for Upleadon and Highleadon without a coffee break.

The Leadon Valley was badly flooded, but our route back to Gloucester was clear and the roads were quiet. No nobber drivers today. Once back on the Newent to Gloucester road, we found a garden centre with a cafe, and made the most of the chance to thaw out our feet. @Frazzle kindly got the coffees in for everyone, and the ride home was all the more comfortable for it. As @gordyfinbar said, the worst bit about our rides to the West of the Severn is always the roundabout at Over. For me, this is always something I dread, getting across two lanes of fast traffic to turn right at the roundabout, then crossing two more lanes of even faster traffic to turn right onto the Western bypass. Fortune was on my side today though, as I timed my arrival at the traffic lights at Over to perfection, being able to sprint away out of the bus/taxi/cycle lane and across into the r/h lane with split second timing. A nice feeling not to have to worry about the manouevre. At the end, I rode with @Frazzle before adding on a handful of extra miles around the lanes, ending my ride on a fraction under 38 miles. A nice ride.

Cheers, Donger.

Went out on the HDW club ride

Bad start when I realised preferred bibtights and some other cycling clothes were still in the washing machine!
However out the warmer ones on and was OK

Went in the much smaller group intending to go to MIlford (but we didn't - see later)
we intersected the other group a few times.
Getting near Seale, we came to long flooded section of 150 yards with several inches of water
I did have shoe covers, but this was too much water.
So we stopped at Seale tea room like the other group

Fortified by a toastie and a cafetiere of coffee, we all rode back together. Went back a different way to ensure feet did not get any more wet, should that be possible.
Later found I had not started the Garmin
Lost at least 8 miles with the Climb up Puttenham Hill

So all in all I estimate 54 miles @ 16 miles per hour
About 1450 feet climbed

The ~(mangled) Strava ride is here
https://www.strava.com/activities/467293615

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today's ride was like an old reunion. It's been so long since we have all cycled together in one group. Like the old FNRttc & SMRbtH days. The ride was to take us to that old regular Friday Night Ride haunt of the Waterfront Cafe in Whitstable.
So was out of the door at 7am with the temperature gauge showing a chilled 4°. Luckily all the storms that battered the house during the night had cleared off, though it did leave very wet roads and the promise of more rain to come.

I first met up with @Mista Preston and @arallsopp on the A20 RAB and knock me down with the proverbial feather. They were there before me. On the way to Dartford we were joined by @zigzag and @martint235 . At Dartford @rb58 was waiting.

We followed the Classic FNRttC route from Dartford. A nice tailwind pushing us along but having to contend with some very mucky roads and a few flooded roads on the way. This wasn't got to be a clean bike or person ride. Just outside Whitstable we had a puncture. me, on the front tyre. Oh well. Considering the conditions 1 puncture between us all in the mucky conditions wasn't bad.

Breakfast at the Waterfront
20160110_113715 (2).jpg

Mucky bike at the Waterfront
20160110_114837 (2).jpg

Waterfront views inc. Arallsop's spectacularly fast bent.
20160110_112154 (2).jpg

The Thames Estuary. You can see the wind farm on the sea horizon to the right of the picture..
20160110_114858 (2).jpg

Mucky ride equals mucky boots
20160110_112205 (2).jpg

Fully carbed & tead up, it wasn't long before we were back on the road, retracing our route back to Rochester, but this time with a cheeky little headwind making going just a little bit too harder. It was still cold and the roads still wet and mucky, but we made good time At Gravesend I turned right off the main drag a turn too early. But no worries. It meant we followed the River Thames for a little while and managed to get a nice shot of the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at Dartford,
20160110_150729 (2).jpg

Just as we reached the bridge, the sky turned a very angry dark, steel grey colour. We could tell we were heading for a soaking. The rain did hit us and blimey it was cold. Freezing cold rain, rain that stung the face. Mercy be the shower only lasted five minutes or so and soon passed.

So. 119 miles for the day.
Century # 2 for 2016 and 168 over all.

A great ride with some great people. It was cold and it was mucky. But it's been a long while since we have all cycled together as one group. 'twas like a FNRttC & SMRbtH reunion. It made for a highly enjoyable days riding. Thanks guys.

100116.jpg

Nice 37.7 miles ride round the flat bits north of Loughborough. Managed to keep the ride a little less hilly than recently in case I fancy a ride to work tomorrow too. Also took on a nice 2 mile detour off the main road through Shardlow to Ambaston. Quite a nice thin road on the whole with courteous drivers! All in all, a good ride!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
P.s still can't figure out how to post pics or insert links

I edit my photo's to 800 wide before uploading. Use the Upload a File button, bottom right of the pane when writing post. Upload the photo you took and then click Full Image.
You can also Drag and Drop a photo to the writing area if that is easier.

For links, just copy and paste. (CtrlC / CtrlV if that makes sense?) They become 'clickable' one the post is posted.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Edit: just seen that @Rickshaw Phil has already done the bizz a few pages ago.... :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom