Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
Rain eventually stopped late morning, been waiting since Monday for a break from it.

43 kms on wet and often very mucky roads, plenty of hills but thankfully no strong wind today. Feel a lot better for it but think it will be a while to recover my pre-bronchitis fitness level.

Sadly my beautiful shiny newly renovated Roubaix now covered in road filth, so 2 bikes to clean tomorrow.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well......that didn't end well

Normal thirty odd mile loop ride through Marple, Brickworks climb, Whaley Bridge. Plan was then Chapel en le Frith then back to Glossop

All going well leaving Chapel. Up a narrow B road called Maynestones Road. Not an easy place for cars to get past, and it's a couple of miles uphill so I'm not going very fast.
Heard a car behind me. There was a smallish widening on the right. So I decided to cycle to the right and wave the car past on my left. Car went past as I was slowly cycling, I cycled on, only to find the car was towing a trailer I hadn't seen. Trailer hit my handlebars, immediately snapped them. Thankfully the driver stopped. Suggested I could still ride back to Glossop (yeah right). After I showed him it was farked he agreed to give me a lift home.

It was a bit 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I should probably have looked behind and seen the trailer. He probably shouldn't have passed with me with a trailer wider than the car (the road was only just wide enough for the trailer). He's offered to pay for replacement parts, I'll pay for labour

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
^ I guess that's a reasonable and amicable outcome. Are you OK?

First commute of the year for me. Beautiful sunrise and some flooded fields on the Trent's flood plain. Largely uneventful really but happy to have done it!!

Fine thanks. I was barely moving, having slowed right down to let the car past. Proof of the pudding will be getting the cash.

13 rider

Guru
This is a wired one. Display still showing, so don't think it's battery related. Tried cleaning the contacts, no luck.
My wireless head unit showed time of day etc but didn't show mph or time moving .Changed battery and everything was OK !!! So may be worth a battery .but then battery went in sender as well .I presume your wired sender Dosn't have a battery

gavgav

Legendary Member
My wireless head unit showed time of day etc but didn't show mph or time moving .Changed battery and everything was OK !!! So may be worth a battery .but then battery went in sender as well .I presume your wired sender Dosn't have a battery
Ah ok, perhaps a battery change would be worth a shot then. It is a while since it had a new one. I don't believe the sender does.

Went out after lunch.
Just local loop, over Chertsey bridge, up Holloway Hill, at Longcross turned off right towards Virginia Water, round the outside of the park, there is a hill with several descents, but each peak higher than before ( though not actually massive).

Them through the Deer Park, the down Priest hill and left though Old Windsor, over the Bridge and through Datchet, and home via Wraysbury.

30.53 miles @ 16.8 mph 983 ft climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/465750380

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Took advantage of the combination of dry weather and a day off work to get the first 50 miler of the year in. Once I'd got past the result of a Network Rail Van/Vauxhall Insignia coming together at the top of the road it was out to Ipswich via the back road through Levington & Nacton, doubled back to Falkenham via Bucklesham and then back to Ipswich via Newbourn, Waldringfield and Kesgrave. Then it was back home with an extra loop added on to round up the mileage.

Despite yesterday's rain, the roads were fairly clear apart from one section where the water was deeper than expected and covered my feet at the bottom of the pedal stroke and was too long to freewheel through. Yet again my choice of route and the conditions dictated the use of the Kona Jake CX with full mudguards so it was slow, steady but thoroughly enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/465873270

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Got up this morning in glorious sunshine ! Must go for a ride then and take full advantage of the weather. So I fuelled up with a good breakfast, filled my water bottles and put my best cycling gear on, including short bibs as it didn't feel cold . Got the new Cube out, checked the tyre pressure, switched on the Garmin l, locked the door and off I went with no particular place to go. I just enjoyed feeling the rubber gently caressing the tarmac and taking me further away from home and the daily grind. The air was still with not a breath of wind, ideal cycling conditions. I looked at my Garmin and was pleased to see I was travelling at a constant 20 mph. Everything felt so good that I was in heaven. No more winter for the time being , just me, my bike , nature and space.... and then...... I woke up.......yes, I was only dreaming.......I looked out of the window and the rain was belting down, trees were bending under the force of the wind and the sky was bordering on black.
I returned to my warm bed and back to my dream. Oh well, when summer comes I thought.....although the steady 20mph will still remain a dream.
Goodnight all.

Top Bottom