Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Warm ride today, heat spell will soon be over, to be replaced by one or two days of heat. I saw a vulture and a great blue heron. The Univega did a fine job as always. Usual ride on trail and countryside, these may get a bit longer as weather cools with seasons' progression. Harvest is still a ways off, corn is just beginning to dry(from bottom to top) and soybeans have hardly changed from green to yellow, let alone brown.
89F
32C
Relative Humidity 52%
Winds SW 13
Barometer 30.10 falling.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Really happy with this evening's ride, 32 miles and a decent average speed. My fitness has, not surprisingly, dropped off hugely in the last 6 months so it was "quite an effort" ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/367471602/overview

Great riding @mooseracer
Keep up the good work ;-)

Sodbury Sportive next year ?

Kind of a my rides over the weekend, my husband's first 100 miler and the charity ride I have been helping one of the riders with.

Saturday I saw my husband off at 5am, then followed in the car about half an hour later to the start of the charity bike ride I have been training the only lady for. My husband was cycling the distance with her because it was more than I could manage and I wanted someone with her to pace her. As it turned out, him being there stopped her quitting when she went through a bad period at the start of the climbing. He was also cycling with another guy who had stuck with Stuart because he had directions and no-one else seemed to know where they were going... :whistle: Anyhow, having completely misunderstood one of her 'I'm quitting' statements, in true male form, they carried on up the incline and waited for her half way up. With nothing more to do, in her own words she called herself a variety of words not repeatable here and got back on my road bike and carried on cycling! She made it to the top, recovered and carried on to the end of the ride! She covered 91 miles at a respectable 11.2 mph. 8 weeks ago she had not cycled since her childhood and has raised £500 for the local Joshua Tree Foundation. https://www.strava.com/activities/370581550

My husband having seen her to the end (well almost, but that is another story) continued up the climb to Penn-y-Pass and waited for me to arrive in the car. I had also worked out that if he cycled to the start of the charity ride from our home, he would make 100 miles by turning around at the top of the pass and effectively freewheeling all the way back to Betws-coed. He covered 104 miles in total and is now talking about cycling there and back on the bank holiday weekend. How exactly he managed this is beyond me because he only cycles once a week with me covering maybe 25 miles if that at a very slow speed and can pull off a 100 miler with no preparation - you have to just hate some people you know! (He has no strava account, so no link...)

So my ride on Saturday... Well once I was home, I found myself at a loss as to what to do so went out on the bike but was lacking in motivation. However, I have included it here because of something that happened during the ride which was a genuine delight. Whilst going very slowly uphill passed the shops in Kingsley, a mother out with her twin (?) daughters and very young son caught my attention not least because the teenage daughters were wearing red polka dot onesies but were also trying very hard to get my attention because they were on the other side of the road. They wanted to know what it was I was riding and were genuinely interested in my recumbent trike. Crossing the road they came over to have a 10 minute talk with me about the trike. They had walked from their home 4 miles away simply to get out and get some sausages (there were plenty of closer places, but...).

They were really nice girls, very polite and very interested in the trike and how it worked and was different from a normal bike in the seating etc. It was really nice talking to them and I have to say that they took me completely by surprise with their genuine interest. It was wonderful talking to them and their mother. From their initial appearance you would have not expected the politeness and interest. But for my ride, my energy was lacking and I wasn’t that motivated, so after I had climbed to the top of the tallest local climb, I headed home calling it a day at 25.5km/16 miles. My heart, legs and head were just not in it. https://www.strava.com/activities/369312155

Sunday’s ride was difficult for a whole host of reasons not least of all that we were out late (for us) on Saturday and for the fact that my Grandfather died during the charity ride yesterday, but I didn’t say anything to anyone about it during the ride. It wasn’t going to change the fact and I didn’t want Stuart to abort his 100 miler attempt or for them to know whilst they were doing the challenge. It was already difficult enough for them. However, the weather was glorious here on Sunday and I knew Stuart needed a recovery ride. His legs were not unexpectedly aching and a ride would help that, so we decided on the Mickle Trafford coffee shop route as it has become known and headed off with plenty of time at hand to get there early, collar one of the 2 tables I can get my trike to (I still can’t sit properly and certainly not on hard chairs yet) and get home again in time for lunch at a sensible time. That was the plan, however that was not what was to happen.

During the fast descent out of Delamere Forest (where the new tarmac is lovely and soft) and with a car on his tale, Stuart kept looking back at his rear wheel (I could see this in my mirrors, the new tarmac is lovely and soft, so they don’t shake about :whistle: )… I heard the yell… flat. Well we can’t stop here no matter what – too fast, too narrow and downright dangerous really… I called out to him that there was a layby at the bottom, could he wait? He would have to because that car had no intention of backing off… :idiot driver alert: Pulling in, he did indeed have a flat tyre and so the hunt began for the cause and nothing could be found. Nothing in the tyre, no gashes, no glass, no stones, no anything. Why would he get a rapid flat on brand new smooth tarmac. Time to hunt for the hole in the inner tube. It’s on the inside. Check the rim tape – completely fine, no anything, no spoke issues, nothing… So whilst he fitted the new inner tube, I optimistically tried to repair the hole – right next to the inner seam. Little was I to know that this inner tube was going to be needed. I only repaired it to fill time and as an off chance… The new inner tube would not inflate. Looking at the holes all along one side just on that fold… :whistle: it was hardly surprising. He get flats so infrequently that the bad storage of his spare has rubbed holes in the side of it! Grrrrrrrr no way I can repair those – they are simply too big.

DSC_0019_1024.JPG

Luckily the optimistic repair of the original inner tube held and the rest of the ride was uneventful. We were able to get a table at the café by politely asking 2 gentlemen (cyclists) to move one table over for us and the rest of the journey was without too many issues other than a seat change for me. I have been really struggling ever since my flat tyre. I could not work out what it was, but Stuart was positive that my seat was in a different position before he took it off the trike trying to get it into the old car. So we change the seat position and life did seem easier after that. I will see what happens over the next few rides.

45km (23 miles) at a very respectable for me 15kph (let’s just say under 10 mph). https://www.strava.com/activities/370211772

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Kind of a my rides over the weekend, my husband's first 100 miler and the charity ride I have been helping one of the riders with.

Saturday I saw my husband off at 5am, then followed in the car about half an hour later to the start of the charity bike ride I have been training the only lady for. My husband was cycling the distance with her because it was more than I could manage and I wanted someone with her to pace her. As it turned out, him being there stopped her quitting when she went through a bad period at the start of the climbing. He was also cycling with another guy who had stuck with Stuart because he had directions and no-one else seemed to know where they were going... :whistle: Anyhow, having completely misunderstood one of her 'I'm quitting' statements, in true male form, they carried on up the incline and waited for her half way up. With nothing more to do, in her own words she called herself a variety of words not repeatable here and got back on my road bike and carried on cycling! She made it to the top, recovered and carried on to the end of the ride! She covered 91 miles at a respectable 11.2 mph. 8 weeks ago she had not cycled since her childhood and has raised £500 for the local Joshua Tree Foundation. https://www.strava.com/activities/370581550

My husband having seen her to the end (well almost, but that is another story) continued up the climb to Penn-y-Pass and waited for me to arrive in the car. I had also worked out that if he cycled to the start of the charity ride from our home, he would make 100 miles by turning around at the top of the pass and effectively freewheeling all the way back to Betws-coed. He covered 104 miles in total and is now talking about cycling there and back on the bank holiday weekend. How exactly he managed this is beyond me because he only cycles once a week with me covering maybe 25 miles if that at a very slow speed and can pull off a 100 miler with no preparation - you have to just hate some people you know! (He has no strava account, so no link...)

So my ride on Saturday... Well once I was home, I found myself at a loss as to what to do so went out on the bike but was lacking in motivation. However, I have included it here because of something that happened during the ride which was a genuine delight. Whilst going very slowly uphill passed the shops in Kingsley, a mother out with her twin (?) daughters and very young son caught my attention not least because the teenage daughters were wearing red polka dot onesies but were also trying very hard to get my attention because they were on the other side of the road. They wanted to know what it was I was riding and were genuinely interested in my recumbent trike. Crossing the road they came over to have a 10 minute talk with me about the trike. They had walked from their home 4 miles away simply to get out and get some sausages (there were plenty of closer places, but...).

They were really nice girls, very polite and very interested in the trike and how it worked and was different from a normal bike in the seating etc. It was really nice talking to them and I have to say that they took me completely by surprise with their genuine interest. It was wonderful talking to them and their mother. From their initial appearance you would have not expected the politeness and interest. But for my ride, my energy was lacking and I wasn’t that motivated, so after I had climbed to the top of the tallest local climb, I headed home calling it a day at 25.5km/16 miles. My heart, legs and head were just not in it. https://www.strava.com/activities/369312155

Sunday’s ride was difficult for a whole host of reasons not least of all that we were out late (for us) on Saturday and for the fact that my Grandfather died during the charity ride yesterday, but I didn’t say anything to anyone about it during the ride. It wasn’t going to change the fact and I didn’t want Stuart to abort his 100 miler attempt or for them to know whilst they were doing the challenge. It was already difficult enough for them. However, the weather was glorious here on Sunday and I knew Stuart needed a recovery ride. His legs were not unexpectedly aching and a ride would help that, so we decided on the Mickle Trafford coffee shop route as it has become known and headed off with plenty of time at hand to get there early, collar one of the 2 tables I can get my trike to (I still can’t sit properly and certainly not on hard chairs yet) and get home again in time for lunch at a sensible time. That was the plan, however that was not what was to happen.

During the fast descent out of Delamere Forest (where the new tarmac is lovely and soft) and with a car on his tale, Stuart kept looking back at his rear wheel (I could see this in my mirrors, the new tarmac is lovely and soft, so they don’t shake about :whistle: )… I heard the yell… flat. Well we can’t stop here no matter what – too fast, too narrow and downright dangerous really… I called out to him that there was a layby at the bottom, could he wait? He would have to because that car had no intention of backing off… :idiot driver alert: Pulling in, he did indeed have a flat tyre and so the hunt began for the cause and nothing could be found. Nothing in the tyre, no gashes, no glass, no stones, no anything. Why would he get a rapid flat on brand new smooth tarmac. Time to hunt for the hole in the inner tube. It’s on the inside. Check the rim tape – completely fine, no anything, no spoke issues, nothing… So whilst he fitted the new inner tube, I optimistically tried to repair the hole – right next to the inner seam. Little was I to know that this inner tube was going to be needed. I only repaired it to fill time and as an off chance… The new inner tube would not inflate. Looking at the holes all along one side just on that fold… :whistle: it was hardly surprising. He get flats so infrequently that the bad storage of his spare has rubbed holes in the side of it! Grrrrrrrr no way I can repair those – they are simply too big.

View attachment 100481

Luckily the optimistic repair of the original inner tube held and the rest of the ride was uneventful. We were able to get a table at the café by politely asking 2 gentlemen (cyclists) to move one table over for us and the rest of the journey was without too many issues other than a seat change for me. I have been really struggling ever since my flat tyre. I could not work out what it was, but Stuart was positive that my seat was in a different position before he took it off the trike trying to get it into the old car. So we change the seat position and life did seem easier after that. I will see what happens over the next few rides.

45km (23 miles) at a very respectable for me 15kph (let’s just say under 10 mph). https://www.strava.com/activities/370211772
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, SNSSO.

Well done to your friend for completing the ride. Incredible effort.

Well done to all on the rides and my sympathies a

View attachment 100481

Well done to all for the rides and sympathies about your grandfather

BSRU

A Human Being
Got out for an early 104km with 920m of going up this morning.
The 14th 100+km ride this year and the quickest, although only through rolling countryside with just one climb but felt good:okay:.
Not too warm at the start but decided it was just warm enough to go short sleeved.

The sun did come out eventually:sun::okay:.
C0062(1).jpg

C0064(1).jpg

Arrived home just before 11.30am to be reminded I had agreed to go to a Chinese buffet restaurant^_^ at 12.
So recovery meal sorted but a little disappointed by their cake selection:sad:, they didn't have my favourite fresh cream black forest gateaux today for some reason:sad::sad:.

Oldbloke

Guru
Went out today to ride part of the TdF route towards Fougeres and was surprised to see so many cyclists out today, even more surprised to find myself overtaking every one of them, road bikes, MTBs, recumbents, etc.
On spotting a feeding station roadside I suddenly realised this was part of the Paris-Brest randonnee....seemed like 1000s of riders.
Another 72 kms clocked up, must investigate possibility of participating next year...

A simple 41 miles this pm, up the Dee valley to Chester, then up onto the mid-Cheshire ridge at Tarporley, back down onto the Cheshire Plain at Tattenhall and home. Warm and light winds. But a bit slow - 13.5mph av.

Not been out for 10 days as the better weather has allowed the flying of some model aircraft that really need winds straight along our club's E-W tarmac runway, and less than 10mph for preference. Think that shows in my reduced av speed. It's been a poor model flying year so far- so the opportunity could not be missed. Plenty of time for a 50 miler in the dark and windy wet in November when the model aircraft are all tucked up safely in their warm and dry hangar.

Off to the Dales next week - so the av will be even lower! At least my new 12-36 cassette will get a workout......

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

View attachment 100481

Well done to all on the rides.

Very sorry to hear the news about your Grandfather.:hugs:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Off to the Dales next week - so the av will be even lower! At least my new 12-36 cassette will get a workout......
Have fun ...

I just put a 12-36 on my CAADX and find it very handy on the steep stuff!

PS SNSSO - sorry to hear about granddad, and congratulations to your pal and husband on their PB rides.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Sunday’s ride was difficult for a whole host of reasons not least of all that we were out late (for us) on Saturday and for the fact that my Grandfather died during the charity ride yesterday, but I didn’t say anything to anyone about it during the ride.

Sorry to hear about your Grandad. But pleased to see what progress you are making on your trike. What a battler.:hugs:

Attachments

• smiley-hug006[1].gif
    smiley-hug006[1].gif
    16 KB · Views: 30
  • smiley-hug006[1].gif
    smiley-hug006[1].gif
    16 KB · Views: 30
  • smiley-hug006[1].gif
    smiley-hug006[1].gif
    16 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom