Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had a smashing ride around Thetford Forest today with a couple of mates. We'd not been before even though it's not too far from home, mainly because the write-ups we'd seen said that it wasn't very challenging.
Yes, there were no serious climbs, descents or rock gardens to conquer, but there's plenty of fun to be had blasting round the sandy trails and diverting down the bomb holes for added enjoyment!

DSC_1995.JPG

DSC_2008.JPG

DSC_2012.JPG

DSC_2034.JPG

We did about 10 miles on the first circuit, then popped into the cafe area for a cuppa, then went round a different trail for another 6 or 7 miles before getting the bikes back on the car and heading home.

Only 16 miles, but great fun and we're planning to return quite soon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/371095113

:smile:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
bomb hole

:smile:
Hehehe.....bomb hole

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice 47 mile ride across west Suffolk to Bury St Edmunds and back (yesterday).

Mrs G said on Saturday ' you do know we're going to our friends place for lunch tomorrow so you won't be able to go for a ride'.

A moment of sadness followed - and then a light- bulb moment - hang on I thought - Our friends are in Bury St Eds- that's rideable!

West Suffolk is great cycling country, and there are even some hills to play with.

image.jpg

Heading over into Suffolk from Cambs,

image.jpg

Lovely quiet roads.
image.jpg

Found a short cut at one point along a bridleway . Made it to Bury in under 2 hours - not bad as I'd not been rushing. Beat Mrs G by 5 mins, (though she left 1.5 hours later and drove).

image.jpg

Found an even quieter route home. A bit flinty but no problem on my hybrid.

Home by 6pm- a lovely day in the saddle.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Put all 4 bikes on the tow bar rack and headed down to Ladybower reservoir.

We parked at Fairholmes visitor centre then cycled clockwise up past Derwent reservoir and then All the way around Howden reservoir heading south down the east side of Derwent reservoir and back to the car. Just over 10m - nice and leisurely ride on the MTBs (first time on it in 4 weeks since I've had the road bike!) :smile:

Just over 10 miles in lovely scenery and the weather was nice too. Both boys enjoyed it and to be fair to them, didn't stop up any of the 'hills' (a couple were certainly not flat!). An ice-cream reward for them and then my 9yo fell asleep on the way back and was still asleep after I'd taken the bikes off, wiped them down and put them and the bike rack away!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.3 miles my ride today, Brutal Hilton Uptown Normal exterior almost finished Perhaps all will be done by Friday, so those inaugurating the Hilton can be awakened by the smell of roasting sweet corn and the whistle of the steam tractor at the Corn Festival. I think Blues Music happens as well.
85 F
Winds S 13
Relative humidity 65%
29.98, thunderstorm in area, falling barometer, chance severe to morrow.

Wades

Stopped 3 times on my ride this morning to adjust the creaking headset. Didnt make a bit of difference so headed home in limp mode fearing imminent total failure.

Well it turns out there wouldn't be would have been a bit of difference from adjusting the headset as it was the bloody saddle the whole time. Penny dropped as it creaked getting off the bike outside the garage. Doh!!!

Quick web search reveals lots of creaky Charge spoons and lots of suggested remedies so time to go and play with the lube...:tongue:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, my ride sunday actually

11880670_10205489890945389_6064437029173690787_n.jpg

11902476_10205491107415800_4295686847276166612_n.jpg

really showed what a place of contrasts Copenhagen can be...

Garry A

Calibrating.....
A 40 miler yesterday. Headed over the bridge to Clackmannan and along the old railway line which is now a cycle track. Got to Dunfermline then headed back a couple of miles and descended to Cairney hill then the coastal path.

Cycle track.
IMG_20150817_150457440_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150817_154335491.jpg

Along the coast I could hear some girls laughing but couldn't see them, soon spotted them way out in the water having a swim.

IMG_20150817_160420039.jpg

IMG_20150817_160405986.jpg

Continued along through Torryburn and Culross before crossing the Kincardine bridge and taking the farm roads home.

IMG_20150817_150507051_HDR.jpg

www.strava.com/activities/371123662

A bite to eat and went for a wee run ;-)

www.strava.com/activities/371292985

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
First I did a 4 mile run, which was hard, but when I got home I had ran my fastest run to date, so I guess that's all good.

Running5.jpg

Then later with nothing pressing to do at home, and feeling a little bit bored and the internet groaning with the pressure of all the surfing I was doing, I decided to go for a bike ride. I needed to get some stuff from the shops( more chocolate for Choclate Cornflake Cakes if you must know), but rather than go to the nearest supermarket 3 miles away I decide to go to Wantage, the long way on the mountain bike. So up to The Ridgeway and along to wards Wantage stopping at a monument of Robert Loyd-Lindsay and extraordinary structure in the middle of nowhere, but surrounded by McDonald's rubbish. I picked it up and put it in my rucksack to dispose of later.

The down the hill to Wantage where I discovered a bit of single track that took me all the way to East Lockinge to get my shopping, had a quick cuppa and shortbread in the cafe and returned home. On the way back I used part of the cycle route 544 which is quite busy with commuters, someone had dropped his work ID tag, so I picked it up and will post it the address on the back.

WamtageMTB.jpg

21.57 miles today

1-IMG_2160.JPG

Bit of a grey day, this is the area I have to play in on the MTB, you can go for miles around here.

2-IMG_2165.JPG

The Monument to Brigadier-General Robert James Loyd-Lindsay, 1st Baron Wantage, VC KCB (17 April 1832 – 10 June 1901) was a British soldier, politician, benefactor to Wantage, one of the founders of the British National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded in War latterly called the British Red Cross Society, for which he crucially obtained the patronage of Queen Victoria, and a distinguished philanthropist and luminary of Victorian society.

3-IMG_2166.JPG

A nice bit of single track after the field all the way to Wantage.

4-IMG_2168.JPG

5-IMG_2169.JPG

A couple of bee hives nestled away.

6-IMG_2171.JPG

The track widened out along side a gallop

7-IMG_2172.JPG

I thought this clock atop a barn was bit odd and it was wrong.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been a while since I posted, but I've been out every day as told. Had a couple of really enjoyable rides with the kids, and even managed to get SWMBO out on her bike (that's cost me a new saddle now too..). Sticking to my 30 mins a day, or thereabouts, which is proving quite hard to get motivated for, especially after a 12hr shift. Hopefully I can start riding to work if the physio lets me once the weather cools.
Anyway, came across this fella last night, I reckon he's the first to dig through from Australia. Looks like he could use a bite to eat..
17 Aug 2015 Skeleton.jpg

And in a first for me, a selfie. This one is for @Elmer Fudd from whom the jersey came in, and is the first ever published selfie of me. Might be the last too...
17 Aug 2015 Cosmicbike.jpg

No idea why I'm sideways, the original is right way up.
Misjudged my ride tonight, and got back to the end of my road at 9.25 miles. Given it was nice and cool I extended my cool down and managed 10 miles

Top Bottom