Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I've been trying to sell cycling to my pal Scott in the hope he will get a bike so I gave him my Roam hybrid for a wee outing and I took my Defy. Went to my favourite sea side village of Culross then back to Clackmannan for a zoom down lookaboutye brae. By the time we got back over the River Forth I felt like I'd had a little leg stretch but Scott felt like he had done a TDF stage. 30 miles done with a maximum speed of 31 mph going down the brae. I wonder if he'll buy a bike now ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/367237869
IMG_20150812_121544374.jpg
IMG_20150812_121522748.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/367325485

image.jpg

Just a little loop tonight, before the weather gets all 'British Summer'

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a nice 70 miler today with a friend, Stopped for a cup of tea and a sandwich at Hatfield Heath tearooms, Then of looking for new routes, we did hit a busy A road for a few miles but got of it as soon as we could. was a really pleasant ride, did hit a drain a couple of miles from home and managed a puncture on the rear, soon sorted and on our way again, Ended back at the cafe we started from for a nice cold drink.https://www.strava.com/activities/367289716

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I was delighted to resume my cycle commute. When I went on holiday on 1st August I thought my work here was done, I could have a break in France and bum around on a bike for the rest of August and I only had to come back to repatriate my remaining stuff and sell, or ship back to the UK, the bike I bought here.

But whilst on holiday I was re-engaged until the end of October so today... I got to ride the cycle-snake once more.

Felt like a lot of Danes have finished their lengthy summer holidays as, at 08:30, the cycle lanes were as crowded as they were in May when I first went awheel here. Clearly I've adapted well in the intervening weeks, I only got pinged once, tutted at once, and a non-Danish* Danish speaker attempted to engage me in conversation in Danish at the traffic lights - they wanted to know where I got my messenger bag from and thought I was a local. It's the fair skin and blue eyes.

*no Dane would ever strike up a conversation with a complete stranger unless they were unbalanced. Unless it were to abuse them road rage stylee. But that isn't really conversation is it?
Although your gap in commuting isnt too big...I also did my first commute today. .the first in over 2 years since my TB.

15 miles total cycling today..I drive circa 15 miles, park the car then cycle the rest and reverse it of course homeward bound. Lovely weather for it.

I used to work with a Dane for about 10 years, some of what you observe it true...we had a fridge magnet in the workshop, it read, 'You can always tell a Dane...but you can't tell him much' ...but more to the point, when I started, he was already established at work. I'd strike up a conversation with someone, anyone, trying to get to know them, them to hopefully get to know me. He was flabberghasted the first few times, he actually said to me ...'I dont know how you do it...I could never just talk to someone I didn't know' :ohmy::whistle:
It wasnt just him then....

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another local post work, pre-tea spin on the Road Comp for me, as other commitments mean I won't get out tomorrow and Friday looks doubtful too...

Similar route to Monday so I won't bore you with the full itinerary, but a horrid headwind meant the time I set down Manston Lane was rubbish - I've done it quicker on the hybrid...I'll have to try again another day.
Essentially the blowy wind meant I'd gone out on the wrong bike - I should have taken the hybrid and gone off road and through the woods.

8.13 miles in 29:48 at an average of 16.4 mph, which will do me nicely.

I even overtook a couple of people ;) and a young lad on an MTB kindly offered to "swap bikes mister", which I politely declined...:laugh:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
La Tour de Cochon continues. (It's a Tuesday bike ride around Suffolk calling in on various pubs with a school teacher friend - with me taking along at least two pork pies for personal consumption.)

Yesterday (Stage 3) was the turn of North-East of Ipswich: Ipswich-Stowmarket-Needham Market - Swilland - Woodbridge - Ipswich.

My friend Dan doing his best enthusiastic-teacher pose at Needham Market.

Ride with Dan Stage 3 001.JPG

Out towards Grundisburgh.

Ride with Dan Stage 3 003.JPG

About 47 miles covered (and some exceptional beer drank) in 12 hours.

Incidentally, an upper back problem returned with a vengeance - may have to convert #2 bike to a kind of hybrid.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
spent the day at sherwood pines with the new cube stereo ..loving this new bike..
no pics as left phone at home..
totally done in after and its a 150 mile round trip too..
son in law is a hard task master..he just dont friggin rest ..mind he was shattered too ..we were both starting to cramp..
very hot and sweaty and all the dust ...cold beer and a cake this evening to recover..and washed the new bike of course which was very dusty..

MikeW-71

Veteran
Sunburn has finally receded enough, and it's a lovely day, so it was commuting time :smile:

Arms and thighs are still a bit sensitive, so it was 3/4 shorts and a long sleeve jersey. Just as well in the morning as it was quite chilly at 7:30am, but coming back the long way in 22C had me wishing for short sleeves.

20 miles for the day. Same again tommorrow.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual...
A ride of two parts really. First of all, I met up with a mate to ride up to the Waterloo Cafe on the Brampton Valley Way.

IMG_20150811_205134.jpg

Smashing bit of Lemon Drizzle cake :okay:

We didn't have lights with us so had to take it steady through the two tunnels. It's quite easy to stray off the centre line and get a bit close to the walls!

IMG_20150811_205104.jpg

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel..

IMG_20150812_202221.jpg

My old Marin, still going strong!

Once we got back near Brixworth, we parted ways as Bob was heading to the LBS at Pitsford to pick a few bits and pieces up, and I'd arranged to join up with another couple of mates for a bounce around Harleston Firs for an hour or so. We couldn't all do the same ride as Bob can't do heavy off-road rides after a serious illness/operations, and one of the other chaps can't do longer distances due to a bit of an injury..

IMG_20150812_211623.jpg

Nevertheless, t'other chap wanted to try out his new 29er and seems to love it, judging by the permanent grin on his face..:laugh:

After 7 or 8 miles winding through the woods and trails, with a few scratches from the brambles, but (strangely) no nettle bites, we split up and headed off homewards in different directions.

IMG_20150811_205636.jpg

As I'm on hols for a while, I decided to celebrate with a cheeky late afternoon beer ;)

A very pleasant 50 miles in nice weather and great to meet up with some friends I've not ridden with for a while.

https://www.strava.com/activities/366535513

:smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles my ride this day, had to cut things short as I had to pick Mrs. GA up at the Castle, where she'd been for a conference. Not really a castle, but we used to call it that. Really just a manor house in the style of a chateau. It now belongs to the State University Foundation, and is a very unique building. The Ewing Family owned many beautiful homes in Bloomington. Here's Facebook on it, as I'm sure their pictures are better than mine. Shows also many of the great houses that influenced this house, and why.
https://www.facebook.com/ewing.manor?fref=nf
When I picked Mrs. GA up, we got a very fine, detailed tour of the entire home.
Not bad for a day that started at the dentists' with a couple of teeth in need of repair.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Although your gap in commuting isnt too big...I also did my first commute today. .the first in over 2 years since my TB.

15 miles total cycling today..I drive circa 15 miles, park the car then cycle the rest and reverse it of course homeward bound. Lovely weather for it.

I used to work with a Dane for about 10 years, some of what you observe it true...we had a fridge magnet in the workshop, it read, 'You can always tell a Dane...but you can't tell him much' ...but more to the point, when I started, he was already established at work. I'd strike up a conversation with someone, anyone, trying to get to know them, them to hopefully get to know me. He was flabberghasted the first few times, he actually said to me ...'I dont know how you do it...I could never just talk to someone I didn't know' :ohmy::whistle:
It wasnt just him then....
It is a national trait, less pronounced amongst (some of) the urban sophisticates of cph but present nonetheless.

Well done on the commute... mine only takes ten minutes, I miss my hour long rides through Sussex countryside but not the Sussex traffic and drivers thobut..

Crandoggler

Just done my ride for the day. Turbo time again. Weather is awful here for the next few days.

Today's workout was as follows:

Lactate Threshold:
Warm up -
5 minutes at ~90rpm+, 5 minutes doing 15 second seated sprint followed by 45 second active recovery.

Main -
6x5 minutes at 75% effort, 30 second recovery between sets (horrendous)

Warm down -
Same as warmup.

I feel sick now.

Top Bottom