Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Nineteen miles of mountain bike trail on my touring bike. Riding through an old gold mining area called Holcomb Valley in the mountains above Big Bear lake in Southern California.

I always assumed this is a fungus because it has no leaves and no chlorophyll but apparently it's called a Snow Plant.
IMG_20240706_061635601.jpg

Here's the view near the start of the ride at Big Bear Lake. A dawn start, because it's going to get bloody hot today even though I'm at 7,000'. That tiny little structure in the middle of the lake is Big Bear Solar Observatory. For other astronomers amongst us, they have an H-Alpha filter like you wouldn't believe.
IMG_20240704_063202214_HDR.jpg

Here's a Youtube video I made about the trip.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJbGsccWQGs&t=401s

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride on the moors today, but with a twist. I went around the western edge of western beacon before rejoining the Puffing Billy.

Wheatear, skylark, meadow pipit and kestrel.

My right cleat lost a bolt after 5 miles which was a pain, especially on the way back down doing a bit of speed.

Blowing and cool.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11822865808

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 2
Yesterday was National Field Day, an important event in the Amateur Radio world.

In my wisdom - or absolute stupidy - I decided to cycle from home (Stafford) to Pole Bank on The Long Mynd. Telford and District Amateur Radio Society (TADARS) had 6m, 4m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm stations set up and my brother was manning the 70cm station. He wanted me to pay a visit and I thought I could squeeze that in if I combined it with my weekend bike ride. What could go wrong? I'd done 80 km in a day so 144 km, paced to keep the heart rate down in zone 2 and zone 3 should be okay, right?

First off, the weather. It was marginal. I had original planned to take the CGR Ti because it's a more comfortable bike and it's much less effort to propel such distances. But, as bands of heavy rain were forecast and I run a waxed chain on that, I took the old hybrid instead. And this was a mistake. It's heavy and I don't have the position tweaked enough to make it comfortable to ride that far.

The outward journey was a real slog. My second mistake - route planning. I used Komoot to plan a route, which should have been 100% asphalt / paved. I had to negotiate 3 fords, one of which was very deep and full of badly churned up and rutted mud. With no way around it and a long detour back on myself to avoid it, I waded through. Another had a pedestrian footbridge bypassing it - but I didn't see that until I had waded half way through it. This was block paved with bricks - but it was very uneven and I couldn't see a non-risky route through it.

The route also took me along a private road, which turned into a rocky track - a fary cry from smooth gravel - that lead the way into Lilleshall. I'd have been right at home on my mountain bike, but it wasn't really ideal with skinnier tyres and higher tyre pressures.

And then there was the headwind. I was either climbing or battling that headwind and sometimes both. It was much stronger for the most part, than forecast which meant even going downhill, I was pedalling into it.

I averaged 16.3 kph on the outbound leg arriving grumpy and tired. I didn't think I was going to make it back.

IMG_20240706_174656.jpg

Surprisingly, I managed to ride most of the way up onto the Long Mynd, only walking the steepest section because I'd had to stop and let a car pass. It was too steep to get going again with the weight of the bike and what I had packed onto it.

And yes, that's a 2m/70cm antenna. Which worked surprisingly well, but the headset I MacGyvered onto the helmet let me down and I couldn't be heard over the wind noise for mobile contacts. I gave up on the radio for the return leg, but it was nice to hear a few amateur stations on the outbound part of the trip.

I sheltered in the 70cm tent, ate my sandwiches and recuperated a little, whilst neglecting to take a photo of the bike with the TADARs antennas/tents in the background which I had meant to for the 'Your Bike in Front of Something Different' thread. It was cold and windy up there. Made me wonder why anyone would want to go bikepacking!

I was starting to conclude I had over-extended myself and I was verging on giving up. I wanted nothing more than a hot shower and a lie down at this point. If there had been a hotel I could book and pay for on-line in the vicinity, I may as well have checked in. That didn't seem like an option, not unless I set-off toward either Telford or Shrewsbury. So I figured, if I could make it back to Telford, I could make it to Newport. And if I could make it to Newport, I could make it home.

IMG_20240707_113622.jpg

Reluctantly I set off for the return leg. I cycled around the Wrekin as the golden hour fell upon us and it was very scenic. It was dark by the time I'd left the outskirts of Telford, which was fine as I had the opportunity to test out all the blinkies. I didn't get a single close pass as I travelled from Newport to Stafford on the main roads - avoiding those fords.

Somewhere around Telford I suffered a minor mechanical mishap. A front derailleur shift completely jammed everything up. And after that, using the centre chain ring resulted in what sounded like the chain rubbing on the derailleur twice per crank revolution. I couldn't see what the problem was - the chain wasn't rubbing the derailleur - so I ignored it and carried on.

I rolled in at home just after midnight. The average speed for the return journey was just shy of 20 kph and it was a lot less work than the outbound leg - thankfully.

I have had a quick look at the bike today. I think I've knackered up the middle chain ring in two places. The noise is made when the chain is wound onto the teeth in the two problem areas. I also checked the chain for wear and it's gone just past 0.75 on the chain tool. It was just below 0.75 when I last checked it and the bike has only been used for this ride and two short ( < 2 km rides) since, although one of those was in the pouring rain and involved towing a weeks worth of shopping home from the local supermarket. Even so, that seems like some rapid wear for an 8 speed chain.

I think it's time I took @raleighnut 's advice with this bike and swapped out the finishing kit and the boat-anchor chainset anyway.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Yesterday was National Field Day, an important event in the Amateur Radio world.

In my wisdom - or absolute stupidy - I decided to cycle from home (Stafford) to Pole Bank on The Long Mynd. Telford and District Amateur Radio Society (TADARS) had 6m, 4m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm stations set up and my brother was manning the 70cm station. He wanted me to pay a visit and I thought I could squeeze that in if I combined it with my weekend bike ride. What could go wrong? I'd done 80 km in a day so 144 km, paced to keep the heart rate down in zone 2 and zone 3 should be okay, right?

First off, the weather. It was marginal. I had original planned to take the CGR Ti because it's a more comfortable bike and it's much less effort to propel such distances. But, as bands of heavy rain were forecast and I run a waxed chain on that, I took the old hybrid instead. And this was a mistake. It's heavy and I don't have the position tweaked enough to make it comfortable to ride that far.

The outward journey was a real slog. My second mistake - route planning. I used Komoot to plan a route, which should have been 100% asphalt / paved. I had to negotiate 3 fords, one of which was very deep and full of badly churned up and rutted mud. With no way around it and a long detour back on myself to avoid it, I waded through. Another had a pedestrian footbridge bypassing it - but I didn't see that until I had waded half way through it. This was block paved with bricks - but it was very uneven and I couldn't see a non-risky route through it.

The route also took me along a private road, which turned into a rocky track - a fary cry from smooth gravel - that lead the way into Lilleshall. I'd have been right at home on my mountain bike, but it wasn't really ideal with skinnier tyres and higher tyre pressures.

And then there was the headwind. I was either climbing or battling that headwind and sometimes both. It was much stronger for the most part, than forecast which meant even going downhill, I was pedalling into it.

I averaged 16.3 kph on the outbound leg arriving grumpy and tired. I didn't think I was going to make it back.

View attachment 736778
Surprisingly, I managed to ride most of the way up onto the Long Mynd, only walking the steepest section because I'd had to stop and let a car pass. It was too steep to get going again with the weight of the bike and what I had packed onto it.

And yes, that's a 2m/70cm antenna. Which worked surprisingly well, but the headset I MacGyvered onto the helmet let me down and I couldn't be heard over the wind noise for mobile contacts. I gave up on the radio for the return leg, but it was nice to hear a few amateur stations on the outbound part of the trip.

I sheltered in the 70cm tent, ate my sandwiches and recuperated a little, whilst neglecting to take a photo of the bike with the TADARs antennas/tents in the background which I had meant to for the 'Your Bike in Front of Something Different' thread. It was cold and windy up there. Made me wonder why anyone would want to go bikepacking!

I was starting to conclude I had over-extended myself and I was verging on giving up. I wanted nothing more than a hot shower and a lie down at this point. If there had been a hotel I could book and pay for on-line in the vicinity, I may as well have checked in. That didn't seem like an option, not unless I set-off toward either Telford or Shrewsbury. So I figured, if I could make it back to Telford, I could make it to Newport. And if I could make it to Newport, I could make it home.

View attachment 736779

Reluctantly I set off for the return leg. I cycled around the Wrekin as the golden hour fell upon us and it was very scenic. It was dark by the time I'd left the outskirts of Telford, which was fine as I had the opportunity to test out all the blinkies. I didn't get a single close pass as I travelled from Newport to Stafford on the main roads - avoiding those fords.

Somewhere around Telford I suffered a minor mechanical mishap. A front derailleur shift completely jammed everything up. And after that, using the centre chain ring resulted in what sounded like the chain rubbing on the derailleur twice per crank revolution. I couldn't see what the problem was - the chain wasn't rubbing the derailleur - so I ignored it and carried on.

I rolled in at home just after midnight. The average speed for the return journey was just shy of 20 kph and it was a lot less work than the outbound leg - thankfully.

I have had a quick look at the bike today. I think I've knackered up the middle chain ring in two places. The noise is made when the chain is wound onto the teeth in the two problem areas. I also checked the chain for wear and it's gone just past 0.75 on the chain tool. It was just below 0.75 when I last checked it and the bike has only been used for this ride and two short ( < 2 km rides) since, although one of those was in the pouring rain and involved towing a weeks worth of shopping home from the local supermarket. Even so, that seems like some rapid wear for an 8 speed chain.

I think it's time I took @raleighnut 's advice with this bike and swapped out the finishing kit and the boat-anchor chainset anyway.

Kudos for persisting ! Good luck with the ‘repairs’.

Mike_P

Guru
My second mistake - route planning. I used Komoot to plan a route, which should have been 100% asphalt / paved. I had to negotiate 3 fords, one of which was very deep and full of badly churned up and rutted mud. With no way around it and a long detour back on myself to avoid it, I waded through. Another had a pedestrian footbridge bypassing it - but I didn't see that until I had waded half way through it. This was block paved with bricks - but it was very uneven and I couldn't see a non-risky route through it.

The route also took me along a private road, which turned into a rocky track - a fary cry from smooth gravel - that lead the way into Lilleshall. I'd have been right at home on my mountain bike, but it wasn't really ideal with skinnier tyres and higher tyre pressures
Ouch! If I am going somewhere I am not familiar with I follow the route on Streetview just to make sure its not suddenly turning off onto some dodgy track.

Reactions: C R

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Put in a shift this morning to make sure I got in a Half Century a Month Challenge ride in while I'm in Belgium. I made use of the RAVeL network again, taking the Ligne 45 from Malmedy to Trois Ponts and the Ligne 44A from Stavelot to Hockai on the way back but also throwing in plenty of road cycling in the places I really wanted to ride. Started off by dropping down the gorgeous main road downhill into Malmedy, dropping like a Stuka and able to take a racing line due to the complete absence of traffic early on a Sunday morning. I don't intend to use that road at any other time of the week, but it served its purpose today. Once in Malmedy, I hung a right over an old bridge into the Outrelepont district to avoid as much town centre traffic as possible.
P1050582.JPG

I picked my way across town to a place where the Ligne 45 ran alongside and level with a residential road, and I hopped on. Another quiet, peaceful track, it avoided riding out of town along a busy commercial road and then having to negotiate a hill, a huge roundabout and slip roads from the E42/A27 motorway on the way out to Stavelot. I stayed on the RAVeL as I passed through the upper suburbs of Stavelot, as I was riding the line to the end at Trois Ponts.
P1050589.JPG

I did a fair bit of research on Street View before this ride, and the aerial pictures are not fully up to date, but you could tell from the Street View that the line has been extended to join a cycleway along the side of the main road in Trois Ponts via a newly constructed metal causeway. Turns out they have made a lovely job of it, now allowing cyclists to avoid a horrible rat run of a road normally full of trucks and buses as it passes through a couple of short tunnels.
P1050592.JPG

From here, my plan was always to hit the quiet back roads and loop around in the hills to arrive at a very special place near Stavelot before heading for home. Turned out that the climb up to Wanne was steeper and much, much longer than just the couple of hairpins above Trois Ponts S.N.C.B. station that I had anticipated. The road just kept going up and up and up for pretty much the whole 6km to Wanne.
P1050595.JPG

Even after Wanne, the lane dropped down steeply so that it could inflict more climbing upon me before I got to Henumont and the suffering stopped. From there it was a short drop down to the top of the Stockeu climb that is such a regular component of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege monument race. Talking of monuments, it was here at the top of that short but brutal hill that I found what I was looking for ... the Eddie Merckx Monument. I stood there for a while gulping down my energy drink and making sure my bike was pointed in the direction that made it look like I'd just climbed the Stockeu!
P1050597.JPG

The drop down into Stavelot was highly technical, with road junctions on an extremely steep lane making me a bit nervous. My disc brakes squealed a lot (no, actually that might have been me) but they did their job.
P1050601.JPG

I stopped at the bottom to look at a huge timbered warehouse building and a nearby American Half-Track ....
P1050602.JPG

... before crossing the river and climbing through the streets of Stavelot on very rough cobblestones for half a mile or so. All part of riding in Belgium, I suppose. Further up the hill I managed to find RAVeL Ligne 44A (part of which I used yesterday from Hockai to Spa and back), and I started a very long but mercifully gentle climb back through woods, fields and gorges to Hockai. The closer I got to the Spa/Francorchamps motor racing circuit, the louder the sound of racing became. Eventually I found a couple of spots where you could see bits of the racetrack and the grandstands between the trees, and I fired off a couple of dozen photos ... none of which were any good due to the bright sunshine between the dark trees. In this one you can just see a go-karter on one of the minor circuits:
P1050608.JPG

That was the best I could do. I stayed a while watching a VW Beetle race on the main GP circuit, with its brightly coloured armcos and chicanes. Looked great fun, but wasn't photogenic, I'm afraid. At Hockai station I left the RAVeL and wound my way home to Mont through the woods of the Hautes Fagnes Nature Park.
Here's an old-fashioned flat nav overview of my ride:
P1050625.JPG

33.6 miles in all, some very tough climbing and plenty to see. I arrived home half an hour after I'd told the missus I would, so I am now in making-it-up-to-her mode. What a great ride, and in nice sunny weather too. Loving it here.

Last edited:

Bristolian

After I'd fettled the front derailleur I went for a short test ride - ended up doing 24 miles :ohmy: It's a route that I've ridden a few times before that involves dropping down the escarpment into the Severn valley (30+mph freewheeling ^_^) but unfortunately means you have to climb back up the scarp again later in the ride (about 5mph and definitely not freewheeling :cry:). I had to battle with a very strong and blustery side wind for most of the ride so I stopped at the old Aust services by the original Severn Bridge for a coffee and cake :bravo:. No problem with the FD so hopefully I have got the adjustment right at last.
Sorry, no pictures :sad: - can't believe I was a professional photographer for several years :blush: I promise to try harder in future.
route.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
A very casual 50 miles this morning. No exertion, easy pedalling taking in nature. Definitely no records broken but just a lovely amble in the countryside.

The one thing that did strike me though just outside Wrexham was the amount of farmers fields that already have a "Land for Sale" (not even bilingual I might add) sign on them, obviously getting in first for the new housing explosion on green belt.

I imagine if I do the same ride in a few years time I will be admiring three bed semi's not cows and hedgerows.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
First ride for 10 days or so with the weather (I refuse to ride in the wet in ‘Summer) 😳

Twas a joy to be out. If a bit of a slog after a 12 hour stint at work….

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpeg
    IMG_4349.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4344.jpeg
    IMG_4344.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4345.jpeg
    IMG_4345.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg