Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I joined the social ride today by way of a recovery and whilst they were a friendly bunch they never stopped at a cafe
:astonished:
So after saying our good byes I went to a beer garden and met a random cyclist there and had a proper social.

On the way back one of the local villages had an open day.

A spin out to Mapledurham today. Nice terrace of old almshouses
1.jpg

The village church of St. Margaret's
2.jpg

Surprised at having the place to myself, no one else here on such a fine day. A friendly local cat said hello
3.jpg

The village phone box has found another use :eek:
4.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
After last week's hilly 200, which was hard work, I thought - as you do - how about riding my hilly 300 with a 2am start.

I actually didn't start till about 0220. The sun had risen by the time I got to Okehampton. At Barnstaple I was the first customer at the Station-master cafe. There was a bit of drizzle as I headed east towards Wivvy. I had been dreading the climb past Cothelstone, over the Quantocks, and it proved to be just as horrible as I had anticipated. The descent was good, though.
After Bridgwater the Somerset Levels sped things up. I quickly got to Cheddar, then headed south to climb Ham Hill, descend to Muchelney, South Petherton services - forming the corner of the route - and climbed slowly over several shoulders of the Blackdown Hills to home and finish.
oldrds.JPG

ExBrit

Über Member
Los Angeles Wheelmen Grand Tour. Supposed to be a double century but the current route's a bit short. The high at lunch was predicted to be 93F and that's way outside my comfort zone so I started about 1am and got to lunch at 9am when it was only 70F and that solved the problem.

But then I was at all the food stops before they opened so I basically rode a 300k self-supported brevet. Whatever, I had a cracking good time and learned a lot about my new drone.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/194006254

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxU8sR5ka4

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
A couple of short local rides on one of my mountain bikes before lunch, then popped into the LBS in Mauron to fix a minor problem with my road bike. The temperature was 29C in Mauron this afternoon – really too hot for me to do much exposed riding so I decided to take advantage of the shade offered by the V3 Voie Verte.

Drove back to Mauron with the road bike in the van and set off around 4pm, heading south with no particular destination in mind. Arrived in Ploërmel to be greeted by massed ranks of hortensias (hydrangeas) which have come into bloom in the last week or so. Down to the Nantes-to-Brest canal – the déviation (diversion) for Eurovelo #1 is still in place. No sign of any activity other than that a fallen tree has been shifted from the ‘closed’ section of towpath and some bike-unfriendly gravel has been spread over the towpath for about 20 metres. Past la Chapelle Caro and up the hill to the site of the old railway station at Malestroit .. carried on past here for about another kilometre then decided that was enough.

Turned round and stopped at the shelter in Malestroit to eat a partially-melted chocolate millionaire and have a long drink of heavily-diluted sirop de cassis (Ribena). Back up north and arrived at the van at 8.40pm.

Just over 86km for the day (including the two short rides earlier) and a running total of 1031km cycled so far in June.

The shaded Voie Verte near St Guinel

On the V3 near St Guinel.JPG

The blooming hortensias just north of Ploërmel

Chemin des Hortensias pic 3.JPG

Chemin des Hortensias pic 4.JPG

The shelter at Malestroit

Shelter at Malestroit gare.JPG

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another Extended ride home on my Tricross. I’d stupidly not eaten all day and really lacked energy, the flying bugs I swallowed on the Sustrans cycle path to Riccall didn’t help my lethargy 🤣
28.2 miles with an average of 14.3 mph.
IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9921.jpeg

Last edited:
A recovery ride for me tonight and I paced round a local beginners group. My hand was going bit cold and numb though despite it being a lovely 25deg evening so when folk sprinted up the final hill I upped it to slightly over threshold and settled into threshold as I breezed past them and got feeling back into my hand. Its nice to know I’m only 3 secs slower than I was 11 years ago.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went out this lunchtime for a brief test ride to try out the front mech on No.1 bike. Ended up riding 22 miles out to Frampton and back in the sunshine. Stopped off at Saul Marina for an ice cream from the Canals Trust shop.
190..JPG

Before turning for home I called in at the village green in Frampton on Severn, where the water lilies are starting to flower in both of the village ponds.
191..JPG

Turned out to be a lovely little ride out in the end. The bike was behaving itself, so it looks like it is ready for the rides I have planned for it.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Forgot to mention it ..... but as I was heading off down a quiet lane near Saul (Glos), I heard a loud machine ahead of me, and an oncoming car driver wound his window down to speak to me. I was slow stopping and had to reverse up to see what he wanted. "Sorry, can I help you?" I said. It only turned out that he wanted to help me by warning me about the hedges being cut up ahead of me. He was letting me know there would be loads of thorns on the road. That is definitely the first time a car driver has done that for me. I thanked him, did a u-turn and chose a different direction. Nice to know there are car drivers out there who care about us.

Windle

Über Member
Forgot to mention it ..... but as I was heading off down a quiet lane near Saul (Glos), I heard a loud machine ahead of me, and an oncoming car driver wound his window down to speak to me. I was slow stopping and had to reverse up to see what he wanted. "Sorry, can I help you?" I said. It only turned out that he wanted to help me by warning me about the hedges being cut up ahead of me. He was letting me know there would be loads of thorns on the road. That is definitely the first time a car driver has done that for me. I thanked him, did a u-turn and chose a different direction. Nice to know there are car drivers out there who care about us.

Maybe he was a cyclist and knew the deflating feeling at hedge cutting time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning saw five miles on the Brompton for eggs and a bit of hoopery.

Felt generally hot and restless for the rest of the day, so eventually went out earlier on the Ragley. Tried a new route that encompassed the nearest stretch of tow path, with mixed results..

The beginning of the route was familiar to the MTB and very much a known quantity..

IMG_20240628_185220.jpg

The final section of this path before it meets the road runs through tall hedges, which seem to attract a horrendous amount of flies. Every time I've ridden it this summer it's been swarming with the vile creatures.. I've long-learned to don my sunglasses and shut my mouth, but that doesn't stop them getting caught, wriggling in my hair and beard as I blast through clouds of them 😖

Once out onto the road it was half a mile of tarmac to get onto the tow path, which began nicely enough with some reasonably surfaced singletrack and a few nice folks out on their boats / with their dogs.

IMG_20240628_192723.jpg

The quality of the surface decayed however as I pushed further south; getting rougher with the odd patch of off-camber stuff dropping towards the water. Some parts were a little overgrown too; requiring a bit of alertness to miss the stuff hanging in the way.

While feeling far safer and somewhat more comfortable than last time I came this way on the gravel bike, a good portion of the tow path remained unpleasant for the above factors.

Mercifully off the tow path a village or two down and back onto the road.. reassured by the knowledge that the defences were occupied and ready to go should the bloody jerries try it on again..

IMG_20240628_193838.jpg

IMG_20240628_193920.jpg

After maybe a mile it was off onto a reasonably decent tarmac-surfaced track with one sketchy moment courtesy of the oncoming sun blinding me to a deepish patch of loose sand, which caused a bit of a slide but it was all good.

Beyond this point however things went decidely downhill - first entering a field that had evidently housed cattle in very wet weather; the deep ruts proving uncomfortable, slow and tiring to drag the bike over.

Glad to escape this misery I was greeted by smoother terrain but shoulder-height grass since the landowner evidently couldn't be arsed to keep the paths cleared. The route of least resistance was mostly along the edge of the field where the crop met the grass. Eventually reaching a point where there should be a path cut through the crops to an adjacent stile revealed that this bit hadn't been cleared either; so I just defiantly ploughed through it to meet one of the existing tractor paths and followed this up the not-insubstantial hill to the edge of the field.. feeling less bad about trashing the small amount of crops I did after being reminded of the big, road-facing banner promoting our local tory councellor..

Finally I made it to the gravel track at the top and then home.

Only about an hour and 8 miles; didn't enjoy it as much as previous outings on the MTB due to the crappy surfaces, insect bites, nettle stings and general pollen coverage. As always however a ride is better than no ride and I do feel nice and chilled for a shower and entire co-op stuffed crust pizza, but don't think I'll be doing that route again in a hurry..

Last edited:
Top Bottom