Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Wow, 97.8% at 37 miles! Fair by anyone's standards.
Sorry; lost me there! What does that mean? Something on Strava that I've missed presumably?

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Happy birthday @Dave 123

RaxK5Pz.gif

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Off%20course%20strawberry%20ride.jpg

We meant to follow a course but Skippy the Garmin wanted us to go up a dirt track that was ruttier than the one we were on and then had a bit of a breakdown so we winged it a bit. We picked up the course a bit later in the ride but we saw some villages we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Swannington is very pretty, we thought.
Swannington%201%20598x800.jpg
The cottages behind us.
Swannington%202%20800x598.jpg

We followed the road a bit and then we saw a sign saying PYO Strawberries. 2 Miles. There was a big arrow pointing the way and we thought, 'yummy strawberries' so off we went in the direction of the Strawberry sign. It was at least 3 miles, possibly more and we went round in a bit of a circle but we stopped for Strawbs and picked about a quid's worth and then sat and at them at the farm. Nice Polish chap running the field, seemed very friendly.

From there I saw a sign for Marsham and we followed the road along. Nice views.
180715%20Nice%20View%20800x598.jpg
Skippy the Garmin caught up and got with the programme and we followed the road to Marsham. We were going to stop for a coffee at a pub but noticed that there was Afternoon Tea being served 2 - 4 at the village hall, all welcome. They were having a bellringing and tea afternoon to raise money for the village's sponsored village in Nepal that has just been flattened. £7 well spent for 2 huge cups of coffee, more ginger cake than I have seen in a long while and they insisted we 'kept our strength up' after riding 'all the way from Norwich, really :ohmy:' with a large scone with jam on - we shared it. We listened to the bell ringing tunes while we munched and then waved goodbye after returning our tray, using their loo and soaking our Buffs again. There may have been a bidon top up too. Very pleasant.

We followed Skippy across towards Scottow and then we were directed up this road that had the cul-de-sac sign. Heigh ho, we thought. It can't be as bad as that horse track with stinging nettles at Mulbarton, surely. It wasn't. A bit rutted but it took us across the back of the old RAF base at Colitshall, that is now one of HMPs.
The 'road'
Back%20of%20RAF%20Colt%201%20598x800.jpg
To the right of us
Back%20of%20RAF%20Colt%202%20800x598.jpg
To the left of us
Back%20of%20RAF%20Colt%203%20800x598.jpg
The crop was quite high.

The tarmacked road was very much welcomed and then we whizzed through Colitshall and on to Crostwick and Spixworth. Of course, after leaving Colt, Hubster said 'can we look for an ice cream'. If he'd have said that half a mile before, he could have had one at Colt. It was here, Hubster had a we second and I noticed that his Buff made him look like he had bat ears.
Ken%20has%20ears%20800x800.jpg

At Spixworth, Skippy the GPS thought that we should just take a shortcut across the quarry. We thought not and went around the quarry and across to St Faiths, Horsford, Drayton (stopped for a Solaro for Hubster) and then home along the Marriotts Way plus a bit extra around the block to go over the 40 miles.
40.36 miles in 3hrs17 and change, averaging 12 and a bit mph, which was not bad as the first 8 miles were off road, as were the last 3and a bit, plus a mile or two in the middle.

Great fun.
Photobucket is playing silly buggers tonight so there may be pics and there may not.

Mike_P

Guru
The wind seemed to go a bit quieter early this evening so headed out to find the westerly was still pretty strong; having to change down at location where normally I change up the gears. Seemed generally quite so I crawled into the westerly along a section of an A road that I have not cycled on since last years closure for the TdF.Turned off onto a lane not previously traversed and the westerly was obvious from the cloud formations.
greystone.jpg

Noticed all the cows in one field were grazing facing east! Needing a pit stop (anyone noticed how wild plants, nettles etc, have grown rapidly this year making such necessities a bit more awkward that normal) I parked the hybrid on its kickstand only to grab hold of the bike as it tried to fall. Turned out the kickstand had cracked its casing. Seem to have a local choice of Halfords or Sports Direct for another, the latter having been the source of the busted one but are Halfords ones at three times the cost actually better?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
@Saluki Evan's multitool is made of mozzarella, mine is already in the metal recycling bucket :laugh:
The mini tub of ceramic lube seems promising though, will lube my road bike with it, once I figure out how use the brakes, only had it for year, has never left the spare room yet :laugh:
Not as bad as the Aldi multitool that is made of toffee

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Eight miles this day, as the weather was quite hot and humid, so I left home early to get to Mrs. GA's office for some lifting and carrying duties, before things got too tropical. My Schwinn was welcome at Moulton Hall, although it does not fold. And yes, for some unexplained reason, that is a pumpkin plant growing in the planter. There is a small pumpkin hanging from the vine about halfway to the ground, and an 18-20 pounder on the sidewalk itself.
Schwinn%20Impact%20at%20Moulton%20Hall_edited-1_zps91wt2xuy.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just time to post todays ride before w*rk....
After a few rideless days, it was good to get out and about for a few miles around the local lanes and villages..

DSC_1702.JPG

The Nene was looking lovely on the Station Road bridges..

Unfortunately I did not have too much time to pedal today as I had to get home for lunch.

DSC_1703.JPG

Hmmmm, what to have for lunch.. Let me think....

Back home on 17 miles. Off to w*rk now. Booooo :sad:

http://app.strava.com/activities/349242837

:smile:

Archeress

Veteran
It's been a fortnight since I last rode (is this sounding a bit too much of a confessional?), so hopped on the bike to ride with my club. We rode out to Berkley, on the way there having to traverse an unexpected (for the ride leader and everyone else) rough footpath with most of us gngerly tiptoeing down on road bikes. We also had a short rain shower on the run out, but it was one of those light misty type showers. Arriving in Berkley, we stopped at a very nice cafe and sat in their courtyard for breakfast. The return trip was much sunnier but into a headwind all the way. We stopped off in Littleton On Severn for a liquid lunch before the climb out of Lower Almondsbury which I managed in one go for the first time this year! :wahhey: Turning onto the A38 at the top we stayed in 2 by 2 formation all the way back to Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre, twas a beautiful sight to behold, precision cycling at a nice turn of pace.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom