Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Pretty much the usual route again today, with a slightly deviation and more climbing, only a touch slower and on my own...
So I'll let some pictures talk instead.

View attachment 96476
Apparently this Oak tree has a look of broccoli about it!

View attachment 96477
My deviation (AKA flying downhill too fast and missed my turn) found me an estuary and Wales!

View attachment 96478
It also found mean oil refinery and yes the climb was that steep.

View attachment 96479
A touch different from yesterday, but over on the right middle is Jodrell Bank where I should be tomorrow and right is a big fire!

View attachment 96480
Closer to home and some 'wild' raspberries along with evidence of my eating them last night as well. I missed one last night, so I went back for another attempt today.

View attachment 96481
As you can see these wild raspberries are not small affairs and are really tasty.

View attachment 96482
And to finish off a strawberry from home. Looks like a slug may have beaten me to it though!

21 miles or thereabouts, and bikehike tells me it is 1100 feet of climbing. I will say nothing about the average, I think I must be tired.
https://www.strava.com/activities/347945122

Will that be the fire at the Wood Mill near Macclesfield?? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33566064

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I fancied a trip out this afternoon, but I couldn't make my mind up where to go, after a bit of procrastination I decided to take the Whyte Hybrid over to Wantage, have bit of lunch and come back; about 18 miles. The route is mostly off road along the NCR 544, quite a nice route but you wouldn't want to ride it on a road bike, well I wouldn't.

A warm windy day with the threat of rain, which didn't come to fruition I'm pleased to say. I arrived in Wantage took some photos, went to Gregs, had a cup of splosh and a "Cornish" pasty that had delusions of mediocrity. I met a nice chap from Hungerford who was riding a nice Cannondale Synapse, after a quick chat with him I rode home mostly the way I came.

1-IMG_1986.JPG

To the far left the National Nuclear place where all the nuclear are grown; to the centre right one can just see Didcot cooling towers.

2-IMG_1994.JPG

It'll be nice when it's started.
3-IMG_1995.JPG

An ickle pony.

4-IMG_1997.JPG

An old fire wagon in Lockinge.

5-IMG_1999.JPG

Lockinge always reminds me of the 1950's

6-IMG_2003.JPG

I liked this old Hovis sign outside the shop in Wantage.

7-IMG_2004.JPG

I popped into this old shop, It some intriguing stuff in it, old stuff but not antique, A Ronco Buttoneer, and a Dansette Record player for example. I bought the old Ladybird Magic Book and the really naff Parker Jotter promo pen (pictured below), I bought the pen because it was really naff, it made me laff. It says Chinghall Ltd on it, when you press the button the display changes to and address, then a post code then a phone number.

9-IMG_2008.JPG

8-IMG_2007.JPG

King Alfred waiting for the lights to change.

Wantage.jpg

In the end 20.42 miles which takes me to a total 1000.44 miles for the year so far.

Apart from the wind a nice couple hours out on the bike, it's been a while since I've ridden the Whyte, I like riding it.

EDIT: @Nomadski , @PeteXXX & @SatNavSaysStraightOn nice reports and photos folks, thanks.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another unexpected ride this evening. Mrs Wife mail'd to ask if I wanted to meet her at Pizza Express on her way home. So I cycled to meet her, on Wallingford on my road bike this time, had a nice Pizza and we cycled back together, a nice evening but still a bit blowy.

1-IMG_2009.JPG

Farm land just outside Cholsey
2-IMG_2010.JPG

Ditto

3-IMG_2011.JPG

Wallingford Town Hall and memorial.

4-IMG_2013.JPG

Corn Exchange Theatre.

1-Fullscreen capture 17072015 204055.jpg

Another 20.16 miles

MikeW-71

Veteran
An extended commute home yesterday, need to keep up the riding before the tour, just over a week to go now :ohmy:

The wind was going the wrong way, but it was all fine until I went past the golf club to find that they've top-dressed that lovely new smooth road surface they laid a couple of months ago :cursing::cry:FFS! WHY?? It was only done the day before too, so that put paid to any thought of speed for a good mile, skating around on the top of the chippings and trying to stay where the car tyres had already been was sooo much fun :huh:

Still, the wind being the wrong way means I could fly through Warwick Bridge and after climbing the 15% back way into Wetheral, I was getting an assist most of the way back home. Even managed a PB on the sharp bump before Cumwhinton ^_^

I was intending to take it easier than that :rolleyes: but I felt so gooood! :biggrin:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
26 miles this morning on a good old steel framed bike none of those modern materials like carbon and alloy for me and imc044 .
Route taken was Sywell , Overstone ,Billing ,Cogenhoe ,Grendon ,Easton Maudit (Picture of the old tree and church spire) Bozeot ,Hinwick , Irchester , Little Irchester and back home all before 7am.

What a fantastic start to the day WP_20150718_002.jpg WP_20150718_001.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I headed for the hills today as I haven't ridden the Long Mynd for a while and started off along one of my regular routes through Condover and Longnor to Church Stretton then continuing south to Little Stretton and Minton before climbing up onto the Long Mynd via Nutbatch.

You'll never guess what........ It's windy again! :rolleyes: (18 gusting to 30mph recorded while I was out according to the Met Office) The ride out to Stretton was therefore a little on the slow side but once past Little Stretton it was slightly more sheltered, so much so that there was hardly any wind on the climb up Nutbatch which was as I'd hoped.:smile: At the top of the climb you are exposed to the wind again which was noticably colder having climbed about 800 feet so I was glad to have brought a fleece. The views are well worth it though, especially on such a sunny day.

From the gliding club the climbing continues up to the summit, with the wind behind me now and helping all the way across the plateau to High Park. Since turning right after the Nutbatch climb I've been following the ancient route known as The Portway and at High Park I decided to stay with it through Betchcott and as far as Thresholds. This section is unsurfaced with deep ruts in the grass being your guide and is principally used by the farmers and the more intrepid walkers and riders.

It's been a while since I last came this way and I'd forgotten quite how hard going it is. Again, the views over the Shropshire Plain are worth it and I'm glad I varied the route. Rejoining the tarmac I dropped down to Picklescott (in a fairly literal sense as it's a good long descent into the village) then took a tour round the lesser used lanes before ending up in Dorrington and heading for Condover, then home in good time for lunch.

A really nice ride in lovely :sun: covering 37.6 miles at 12 mph average.

DSC0002525.jpg

The thatched All Saints Church at Little Stretton

DSC0002529.jpg

Sunlight through the trees on the way to Hamperley

DSC0002532.jpg

Climbing up onto the Long Mynd........

DSC0002535.jpg

.....and the view at the top where I join The Portway.

DSC0002537.jpg

The launch winch is being set up at the Midland Gliding Club

DSC0002538.jpg

The clubhouse and the windsock just confirming what I already knew - it's breezy.

DSC0002542.jpg

I just grabbed a bite to eat here then headed off the beaten track.

DSC0002546.jpg

The bridleway across the Betchcott hills.

DSC0002551.jpg

A load of moody youngsters hanging round the gate.;) (They were fine really - not at all bothered about me walking past).

DSC0002555.jpg

Most of Picklescott is still asleep this morning I think.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
On the morning of your 46th birthday it's always a good idea to go and ride 46 miles with your son!
We set out into breezy sunshine, our outward point was to be Ashwell, about 20 or so miles to the south west, so hopefully we'd come home on a tail wind. Up over Chapel hill to Barrington for a change and then out to villages such as Meldreth and Littlington passing fields of golden wheat. We stopped at the 3 Tuns pub in Ashwell for a drink, a red kite flew over...
image.jpg

Very early yesterday morning we had a good old humdinger of a storm, 30mm of rain in an hour, this meant that there were interesting patches of gravel and other sh1te in random places....
image.jpg

The spire you can see is Ashwell church, looks like it was built by NASA.
So we'd gone from Cambs, briefly into Herts and then before long we found ourselves out of the pesky headwind and into central Bedfordshire with its undulations
image.jpg

Those legs can be powerful.... Sometimes!
We came back into Cambs via Gamlingay where there was a wedding in progress, the car was well worth a picture
image.jpg

On toward the Gransdens via a very draggy hill and those big strong 19 year old legs are beginning to falter...
image.jpg

You can just make him out in the distance.
I had to coax Thomas back the last 15 miles, he didn't get in until 2 this morning and I dare not list the drink he had consumed, so really he did well!
Coming back to Hardwick I did fly off on him to aim for a bit of strava silliness on the roundabout s between Caldecote and Hardwick. I managed a PB. I had to do 4 sedate laps of the roundabout before he caught up.
Once home I found what Mrs Dave had been up to... Cake baking!

https://www.strava.com/activities/348611073/segments/8288202873

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On the morning of your 46th birthday it's always a good idea to go and ride 46 miles with your son!
We set out into breezy sunshine, our outward point was to be Ashwell, about 20 or so miles to the south west, so hopefully we'd come home on a tail wind. Up over Chapel hill to Barrington for a change and then out to villages such as Meldreth and Littlington passing fields of golden wheat. We stopped at the 3 Tuns pub in Ashwell for a drink, a red kite flew over...
View attachment 96669

Very early yesterday morning we had a good old humdinger of a storm, 30mm of rain in an hour, this meant that there were interesting patches of gravel and other sh1te in random places....
View attachment 96670
The sire you can see is Ashwell church, looks like it was built by NASA.
So we'd gon from Cambs, briefly into Herts and then before long we found ourselves out of the pesky headwind and into central Bedfordshire with its undulations
View attachment 96671
We came back into Cambs via Gamlingay where there was a wedding in progress, the car was well worth a picture
View attachment 96672
On toward the Gransdens via a very draggy hill and those big strong 19 year old legs are beginning to falter...
View attachment 96673
I had to coax Thomas back the last 15 miles, he didn't get in until 2 this morning and I dare not list the drink he had consumed, so really he did well!
Coming back to Hardwick I did fly off on him to aim for a bit of strava silliness on the roundabout s between Caldecote and Hardwick. I managed a PB. I had to do 4 sedate laps of the roundabout before he caught up.

Happy birthday!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 96669

View attachment 96670
The spire you can see is Ashwell church, looks like it was built by NASA.
So we'd gone from Cambs, briefly into Herts and then before long we found ourselves out of the pesky headwind and into central Bedfordshire with its undulations
View attachment 96671
View attachment 96672
View attachment 96673

Happy Birthday.:cheers: That looks like a good way to celebrate.:okay: (I shall be working for mine :sad:)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a new bike and I'm back on Shimano after 4-5 years on SRAM, riding up the little climb coming into Desford on my second ride I got the drop down onto the inner ring right but then tried to double tap it down a couple of gears and ended up climbing in a 38/11. :ohmy::wacko::blush:
I am having the opposite experience with my Shimano-equipped CX bike. I am used to Campagnolo shifters which use an inner lever to shift down and a thumb button to shift up. Shimano, of course, use an inner lever to shift UP so I keep finding myself in a higher gear rather than a lower one!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early(ish) for a ride on the Boardman Road Comp - and in yet another first, I was fully Lycra'd up...:whistle:

It was quite breezy this morning (more on this later), and I fancied a chance, so I headed out towards Thorner.
Down the long hill into the village, then along Main Street before heading up the hill towards Bramham. Really got a good turn of speed going along this section and set a new top speed of 35.1mph into the dip by the entrance to Bramham Park, before slowing considerably to climb the other side. Then a gently downhill blast to Bramham, where I stopped for a drink and a photo.
IMG_20150718_091058913_HDR.jpg

A couple of other cyclists passed while I was there, and all said hello / checked I was OK (must be the Lycra...)

I set off again, diverting into Bramham to climb the mountain that is Town Hill for the first time since my knee problems started. I might have ended up on the granny ring, but I kept going and got to the top. :smile:

Then a run down NCN R66 to Aberford, turning right to come through Barwick, then on to Scholes and down the hill to home.

I encountered that special type of wind today that seems to be in your face no matter what direction you're heading in. How I long for a still day, or at least a day when I don't seem to be cycling into a headwind most of the time or where the wind is slowing me down on long downhill section...

18.02 miles, average of 13.1mph (curse that wind) and 697 feet of climbing in 1hr 22m. I also completed 3 separate mile long sections with an average speed of over 22mph and set 2 new PB's. Plus that new max speed of 35.1mph :wahhey:
This road biking might just catch on...

Edit to add that I've just noticed that I took 55 seconds off one previous PB over a 1.9 mile section - that's a huge difference between my hybrid and the new road bike!

Last edited:
Top Bottom