Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Sixteen miles in my lounge on rollers. Too cold to venture out as I haven't really got proper winter kit.
Rollers are hell compared to the road.
Not as good as road riding, but more comfortable in bad weather, especially if you have lost your fitness, like me.
(I tend to do 20min sessions, but then I'm old. :smile:)
The trick to winter (cold) riding is multiple thin layers. i.e. two jerseys & a windproof, shorts & longs on the legs, thin warm gloves, & a head covering of some sort.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was supposed to 30 mile today. Went out into the freezing cold all layerd up to do a shopping errand and take a long ride back. 16 mile into the ride it's start snowing and I'm losing the light, not probs, lights on quiet county roads...PUNCTURE!

No problem two spare tubes, wheel off tube in, wheel back quick smart. Pump up tyre. Pump don't work.BRAND NEW LEZYNE PUMP DES NOT FECKIN WORK! Try the other tube no good.Bloody blast feckity feck feck. Ok it's a mile and half short cut across the fields home so off I go.

I find out when I get home that for some reason the new pump works on the shcrader valves on the tube I took off the bike but does not work on the shcrader valves of the new tubes. How odd.

I set to repair the puncture on the old tube, there's a thorn in the tyes as big as cleopatra's needle, and a hole in the tube, on the seam as big as the Chunnel. I break out the repair kits, both tubes of glue have dried up, ok Ive got some self sealing patches I'll put one of them on. I clean up the tube, rub it all down stick on the patch. I might as well use the corner of a hanky for the good it's done.

Cycling is a laugh ain't it!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was supposed to 30 mile today. Went out into the freezing cold all layerd up to do a shopping errand and take a long ride back. 16 mile into the ride it's start snowing and I'm losing the light, not probs, lights on quiet county roads...PUNCTURE!

No problem two spare tubes, wheel off tube in, wheel back quick smart. Pump up tyre. Pump don't work.BRAND NEW LEZYNE PUMP DES NOT FECKIN WORK! Try the other tube no good.Bloody blast feckity feck feck. Ok it's a mile and half short cut across the fields home so off I go.

I find out when I get home that for some reason the new pump works on the shcrader valves on the tube I took off the bike but does not work on the shcrader valves of the new tubes. How odd.

I set to repair the puncture on the old tube, there's a thorn in the tyes as big as cleopatra's needle, and a hole in the tube, on the seam as big as the Chunnel. I break out the repair kits, both tubes of glue have dried up, ok Ive got some self sealing patches I'll put one of them on. I clean up the tube, rub it all down stick on the patch. I might as well use the corner of a hanky for the good it's done.

Cycling is a laugh ain't it!
Sometimes you just have days like that. If you want a bit of light relief, here is an example I had back last March (I can't believe it was that long ago).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Sometimes you just have days like that. If you want a bit of light relief, here is an example I had back last March (I can't believe it was that long ago).

What a palava! I wouldn't know how to replace a spoke! What I don't understand is how a valve can be ok one minute and be buggerd the next.

I don't understand how, my pump hose will fit one shcrader valve and no another! Buggering thing.

Phil485

I clocked up another 15 miles at lunchtime today. Bit chilly but Lways good to be out of the office. Also finally got the hang of courses and navigation on my Garmin.
Hopefully the snow won't stop me for too long.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What a palava! I wouldn't know how to replace a spoke! What I don't understand is how a valve can be ok one minute and be buggerd the next.
The valve core had come loose. Why it chose that exact moment, I don't know.:wacko: I suppose if it hadn't I'd have been a few miles down the road with a flat tyre where I couldn't find the puncture.:rolleyes: (I didn't used to carry a spare tube.)

I don't understand how, my pump hose will fit one shcrader valve and no another! Buggering thing.
I wonder if that could be a core problem too. Perhaps preventing it from opening? Best idea I've got atm I'm afraid.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well, in case anyone hadn't noticed we have had a bit of snow so, having changed tyres on the knockabout bike the other day I had to get out and have a play.^_^

I went over Lyth Hill and did figure of 8 route around the Longden and Exfords Green area. The snow was coming down pretty well but to be honest there wasn't too much under foot as the wind was blowing it round so much.

The biggest problem was that there were small drifts across the road whereever there was a gate or a gap in the hedge which made things interesting as the front wheel tended to kick to one side while going through it.

I bottled out on one descent (Lythbank) and decided to walk down it as I've been caught out trying to ride down a steep hill in the past. Not long after this I caught up with a snowplough that had passed me. The driver had to stop as his wipers had frozen up and he couldn't clear the screen.:laugh:

I encountered one other cyclist who I could see in the distance but was faster than me so I didn't catch him.

Today's trip was 12.1 miles at a cautious average of 8 mph.

DSC00976.JPG

Lyth Hill. The snow is blowing across horizontally.

DSC00979.JPG

Nearing the top of Lyth Hill. White wall tyres anyone?:laugh:

DSC00980.JPG

At the top of the hill. Not much of a view today.

DSC00985.JPG

Long Lane. A bit different to when I was here in summer.

DSC00992.JPG

Snow sculpted by the wind.

DSC00994.JPG

Not far from home now.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, in case anyone hadn't noticed we have had a bit of snow so, having changed tyres on the knockabout bike the other day I had to get out and have a play.^_^

I went over Lyth Hill and did figure of 8 route around the Longden and Exfords Green area. The snow was coming down pretty well but to be honest there wasn't too much under foot as the wind was blowing it round so much.

The biggest problem was that there were small drifts across the road whereever there was a gate or a gap in the hedge which made things interesting as the front wheel tended to kick to one side while going through it.

I bottled out on one descent (Lythbank) and decided to walk down it as I've been caught out trying to ride down a steep hill in the past. Not long after this I caught up with a snowplough that had passed me. The driver had to stop as his wipers had frozen up and he couldn't clear the screen.:laugh:

I encountered one other cyclist who I could see in the distance but was faster than me so I didn't catch him.

Today's trip was 12.1 miles at a cautious average of 8 mph.

Respect. You are well 'ard you are.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
:thanks: I feel a bit smug as I hear all the bus services in Shrewsbury have been suspended due to the snow.:ohmy::laugh: Seriously, it's not that bad out there!

It is round here. After last nights episode, I've bought new tubes and repair kit, the LBS has rechecked the the wheels they built and today I've cleaned the bike up and lubricated it I ain't going nowhere in the snow, which by the way is still coming down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom