Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yep...

Today I took time out again to see the battlefields...my ride included a simple 20 second ride over no man's land from the union line to the confederate line at Malvern hill one of the big battles around Richmond.

7000 confederates died on that ground I read on a plaque.

That must be an extraordinary trip. Are you particularly interested in the American Civil War?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
It's facinating now I'm here...and the transam goes right through some of the biggest areas for all that around Richmond. I'm also a week ahead of schedule so I have time to take it easy now and look at the battlefields

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's facinating now I'm here...and the transam goes right through some of the biggest areas for all that around Richmond. I'm also a week ahead of schedule so I have time to take it easy now and look at the battlefields

It sounds like an excellent trip. I notice that you are a musician, when you get back you should try and get hold of a CD called White Mansions a rock/country concept record of the American Civil war, its got some great musicians on it and it's a clever and moving insight to the war.

Enjoy your trip, I shall follow your blog.

potsy

Rambler
111 miles today along the TPT to Southport and back, great company from fellow CC'ers 400bhp, Edwards80, Ilikeskol and sport monkey.
Cracking ride with great weather, some good pit stops including a very friendly cafe stop at Sainsbury's and a fish and chip lunch in Southport.
Very busy in Southport due to the Airshow being on, definitely a route I'd do again :thumbsup:
On way to Southport.jpg
skol showing how it should be done.jpg
views.jpg
Cafe stop 1.jpg
Dinner in Southport.jpg
fly by 2.jpg
Got ya.jpg

Boon 51

Veteran
Done a big hill today and I'm just about at the end of my gears, might have to change front small cog to give me more uphill power.. the next hill is even steeper..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Saturday's ride was a big departure from my normal rides. It was a 100km Audax with 2AAA points which meant that it was a hilly one. There was 1900m of ascent - that's over 6,000 feet! The ride started in Richmon on a good note - a brief thirty seconds'w worth of decent before crossing the Swale and climbing up Holly Hill and climbing over the ridge befor descending into Wensleydale, cycling along Wensledale into Bishopdale up and over Kidstones pass to Buckden and Kettlewell in Wharfedale. A brief rest and then...Park Rash....a 1 in 4 obstacle with bits of 1 in three on the bends which then drops into 1 in 5 then slowly degrades into 1 in 6. I'm not ashamed to admit that despite having a 17" bottom gear on my Woodrup Chimera I got off and resorted to 24" gear for a fair stretch. The pain on park rash was rewarded with a long descent through Coverdale into Middleham onto Catterick Garrison and then back to Richmond.

I was last back, I expected that seeing that I'm still a porky 21stones plus but still had an hour and three quarters in hand. I also was back before some riders on a flat 100km audax that started half an hour after me.

A good day out.

2012%2B-%2B2.jpg

2012+-+1.jpg

2012+-+1.jpg

TVC

25 miles through South Leicestershire, it would have been further but I kept getting distracted and stopped by Spitfires, Hurricanes and various other bits of WWII hardware putting on a show near Cosby. Too hot in the end, so I pottered home.

Sandra6

Veteran
Just a short pootle to the park and river with Mr6 and the two littlest girls. Around 7 miles in total.
Really need to stop the youngest's bad habit of getting off for anything resembling a hill -either up or down.
Older daughter very nearly managed to force me off into a bed of nettles, if the path had been just an inch narrower I'd have gone tumbling.

Mapster5

This was yesterday but hope it still counts: 110 miles through the Lincolnshire wolds started in Lincoln down to horncastle on to Louth then market rasen back to Lincoln. Le petit grand prix organised by Itp events great ride great day

D

Deleted member 23692

42 miles westwards out of Carlisle and back along the Solway. Hardly a soul about 'til 5 mile from home :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom