Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I hit 30mph for the first time yesterday. Yes, I was going downhill, but even so! I actually wooped out loud.
cool.gif

Cubist

Still wavin'
http://www.mapometer...te_1303295.html

Been honing the Cube a bit recently. I've got new summer Schwalbes on, Ralph rear and Nic front, (al a spec sheet), with butyl tubes, and my new Charge Knife Saddle. The Shimano cage pedals came off in favour of the eggbeaters as the route was XC. My scales tell me I've shaved it to about 11.5kg, and boy do the wheels behave differently to the old winter Continentals!

I plotted a route which kept me on singletrack and cart track bridleways as much as possible, but decided halfway round to try out a new track and loop to the dam wall at Scammonden. It threw in another bastard of a climb, on farm track bridleway, but was worth it as I found this waterfall type thingy, and enjoyed five minutes with a spot of lunch in this idyllic little spot.

rideout1June040.jpg

rideout1June037.jpg

postman

Squire
Has no one been out sine the 1st of June .That must be a record .Well i did 66 miles today.A visit to a little hamlet named Hebden.Brilliant, a bit windy going out.But we found a short cut.Just before Burnsall i noticed a signpost Hebden 2 miles .The other arrows noted Grassington just over 4 miles .So i suggested to my mate lets go that way .If its steep there is no shame in getting off and doing a bit of walking.Well blow me the road to Hebden turned left in no time and was as flat as a pancake all the way in .Mission completed.A very fine cafe was to be found in said place.The return journey was a dream.A great day out.

bornagainst

Über Member
72 miles in the sun. Finally figured out where 'Parbold Hill' is and headed for that. It's about the only hill around here (Merseyside), so it definitely made a change and thank god for the ice cream van at the top!

Plenty of other riders out and about which was nice to see... lots of nods.

Adasta

25 miles today. I'm slowly increasing distances. 30 miles next week.

A glorious day. I'd also like to thank the driver who didn't complain at all when I ploughed into the back of his people-carrier due to an emergency spot on his part (police lane-splitting towards us). He wasn't at all concerned about his car and just reminded me that he stopped because of the police (I swore quite loudly...) when we spoke at the traffic lights.

Glory to him, and his house.

brockers

I struggled round my 40 mile loop, and ran out of gas with ten miles to go. Didn't help that I went out with little carbohydrates in my sytem, and that I half killed myself chasing an absolute **** of a wvm who purposefully swung into my path in Catford. Discretion (being the better part of valour) was my, and possibly his saviour in this instance. Continuing, I passed around fifteen other 'roadies' (well, all the gear, no idea wannabes), only one of whom could be arsed to return my friendly acknowledgement. Living in SE London really gets to me sometimes.

After a final humiliation of not being able to catch a chap on a Brompton, I managed to make it back home on a combination of 34x21, coke, and willpower. And the sun was shining! Which is nice :biggrin:

pepecat

I had a fab ride - probably my most enjoyable ever - it was just one of those days. I was surprised cos i didn't sleep well last night, ate nothing but an all day breakfast yesterday :whistle: and was tired when i got up this morning. But one large bowl of porridge later and i was off. 26 miles done pretty easily, which i was chuffed at cos I've not been on the bike for two weeks...average speed has gone up to 12.9 mph (yes I know, still not that quick), but i was maintaining 16.9mph average on the flats easily. The hills were ok - i'm getting up them more easily than i used to. And it was windy........

It was a lovely day - not too hot, not too cold...went down to Earlswood lakes from Bham, then to Dorridge and Solihull and back to Brum...all the cyclists i passed nodded or said hi (as did I).......

Oh, and finally - thanks to all you lovely people on here who said 'raise your saddle' when i said i was getting muscle burn above my knees... I did, and the legs are fine and i think power transmission is better now.

Just one of those days when you know why you like cycling. Am still happy about it now!!:biggrin:

endoman

bit like pepecat I had a rubbish nights sleep, curry just wouldn't settle!
38 miler that I've done once before, I know it's bad when the roads are called, " view, cliff, hill, etc" Against the wind and mainly uphill for the first 10 miles, but then a nice downhill stretch and out to Clumber Park where WW2 was being re created by some peculiar folk. Meant it took ages to get a coffee!
Came back and attacked some hills, standing up etc and the legs didn't give in which was nice, felt like I could have done more when I got back, which is encouraging.

Back to the commute tomorrow, hopefully that will feel a bit easier as well. Hoping the weight starts to come of a bit more soon.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
27 miles. Just managed to avoid the rain. 2nd outing on my old Dawes and really enjoying the change from my hybrid bike. Amazed that all the roadies now smile/ shout morning and/or wave.

Is it 'cos I is fast [and have drop handlebars]?
whistling.gif

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Missed out on the club run this morning as we had someone coming to look at the house as we are selling.

I managed to get a nice ride in this afternoon but boy was it windy , ok on the way out but when i turned for home my average dropped by 2 mph by the time i had got home !The old legs were burning on the last hills :ohmy:

37 miles at an average of 19 mph.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
I had a fab ride - probably my most enjoyable ever - it was just one of those days. I was surprised cos i didn't sleep well last night, ate nothing but an all day breakfast yesterday :whistle: and was tired when i got up this morning. But one large bowl of porridge later and i was off. 26 miles done pretty easily, which i was chuffed at cos I've not been on the bike for two weeks...average speed has gone up to 12.9 mph (yes I know, still not that quick), but i was maintaining 16.9mph average on the flats easily. The hills were ok - i'm getting up them more easily than i used to. And it was windy........

It was a lovely day - not too hot, not too cold...went down to Earlswood lakes from Bham, then to Dorridge and Solihull and back to Brum...all the cyclists i passed nodded or said hi (as did I).......

Oh, and finally - thanks to all you lovely people on here who said 'raise your saddle' when i said i was getting muscle burn above my knees... I did, and the legs are fine and i think power transmission is better now.

Just one of those days when you know why you like cycling. Am still happy about it now!!:biggrin:

Its nice to see it worked :thumbsup:

32 miles for me today. Been saying it for too long, no decent mileage this last couple of months and it showed today. Set out for a hopeful 50 miler...fat chance. I bottled it at a junction and turned for the easier, shorter route. 15 mph average, ive got to MTFU :biggrin:
2 Red Kite, i lovely Yellowhammer, cloudy here today but just a light breeze and very quiet roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom