Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

44 miles the journey, Ye Old Pound Cafe Henley In Arden the destination, a social mornings pootle over to the Cafe, its always full of cyclists and a favorite with some old friends I don't see very often, lovely ride out in the sunshine, seen lots of farmers working in the fields, to the guy manuring his field I recon that was some good stuff, Bloody Hell! xx( xx(. Also got well and truly smoked by a pack of seventy year olds, stayed with them on the flat but as soon as we hit a hill I didn't see them again till I got to the Cafe, after catching up with some old friends for a gossip I used the ride home to ride some favourite small lanes I haven't ridden in a while, made for a ride down memory lane in places, I've had a wonderful morning, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself, mornings like this are good for the Soul.

20140722_124354.jpg

20140722_124337.jpg

graham56

Guru
Puerto de Pollenca -Campanet-Buger-Sa Pobla-Muro-Can Picfort-Alcudia-Puerto de Pollenca. Sunny 29°. Knackered but smiling. :-)

robrich

Oh today was a good one with a great cycling buddy to keep me company and motivate me along:smile:
Chester le Street to Stanhope, up Crawleyside Bank for the first time (it was on my to do list!) then back to Lanchester and return via Peth Bank.
Sounded a good idea at the time.....
The sun and heat up here today was as good as it gets and as I went through Lanchester I wondered whether such climbing on a hot day was really wise. I was finding it tough today and thought I'll just get to Stanhope and re-assess. Took a never before cycled route and up here the danger with that is you'll find hills you weren't expecting. The climb out of Lanchester surprised me with a steep bit out on the road to Tow Law. Turned off for Cornsay and the view across the north pennines was just beautiful.
Quite a hairy up and down the hills through to Frosterley (that's one steep hill descending into Frosterley or was it Wolsingham?) and then onto Stanhope for a quick stop and re-fuelling.
Realised then I was stuck between the rock and a hard place. Either up the infamous and slightly scary Crawleyside Bank or it's back the same route but this time going up the steep hills on busy roads back to Lanchester. i didn't fancy either but had no choice.
Well I don't get to Stanhope much and it would get all the worst climbing over with in one go with a quieter road - Crawleyside it is!
This deserves every bit of its reputation. Granny gear spinning all the way on the three mile climb. but we did it and so pleased to have ticked another decent hill off my list.
I was expecting the reward of a fast descent past Smiddy Shaw but today there was a surprising east to west headwind up there which kept my progress in check. I was certainly feeling the heat and effort by the time we got back to Lanchester and again here to get back to Chester le Street you can't avoid a steep climb. Might as well make it another infamous Co Durham leg killer - Peth Bank. My younger (and fitter) companion broke away on this switchback lung buster but I kept hin ion sight and grinded my way up to the TV mast at the summit.
Through Burnhope and my thighs started to ache with every pedal stroke that wasn't downhill. This was starting to slow me down and I was pleased to see a 3 mile back to base road sign. With my legs burning on every stroke this was a slow struggle but I got there. don't know if it was the total climbing effort today, the heat or a lack of salt through sweating but I don't want to go through that agin. Maybe it was a combination of all factors or me not as bike fit as I like to think?

47 miles in 4 hours for a slow ride. But you know what? This may have been a tough ride and the speed wasn't much but it was everything that I love about cycling.

Sorry for going on, but really pleased with doing those two tough climbs for 3885ft gain in this heat.

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Well I was in Two minds about going out today but decided to go for it.

Really chuffed as only 2 sectors without a trophy on Strava can't really see that happening again for a while . While decided to do the Longney Loop again as it's a good distance and has some good slopes for me that are about right at the moment. I'm not having to use the no1 cog on the front. The plain was to use the 7th cog on the rear where I would normally use 5th. The difference it made you can see in the pics below with the trophies!!
The best thing is I know there is a lot more to come, just not trying too hard too early.

Sorry for lack of pictures on route as I don't want to stop lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 29

RedRider

Pulling through
Had a day off today so did a cheeky 100k around the Kentish North Downs.
Set off quite late so first things first, had brunch at Cake, a familiar cafe stop for London cyclists on the way out of the city.
P1010348.JPG

It's in the village of Downe where Charles Darwin made his home.
Here's some pics of the great man's house and grounds (perhaps I'll take a geared bike there one day to illustrate the evolution of the bicycle).
P1010353.JPG
P1010350.JPG

If you fancy you can click on some of the thumb nails below. The sheep were taken at the highest point of the ride. I was surprised to feel my ears popping just before I reached it).
The river is the Darent where it passes through Farningham. I stopped at that pub for a coffee (and a squirrelled away croissant).
Those longhorned cows were impressive.
All in all a great day out.

Attachments

• P1010358.JPG
    P1010358.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010361.JPG
    P1010361.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010375.JPG
    P1010375.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010380.JPG
    P1010380.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010386.JPG
    P1010386.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010401.JPG
    P1010401.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010396.JPG
    P1010396.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Gareth C

Veteran
Well I don't get to Stanhope much and it would get all the worst climbing over with in one go with a quieter road - Crawleyside it is!
This deserves every bit of its reputation. Granny gear spinning all the way on the three mile climb. but we did it and so pleased to have ticked another decent hill off my list.

Nice work! Did you stop at Park Head Station for refreshments at the top of Crawleyside? The beef baps are to die for, and if you've come up from Stanhope, you've earned it!

robrich

Nice work! Did you stop at Park Head Station for refreshments at the top of Crawleyside? The beef baps are to die for, and if you've come up from Stanhope, you've earned it!

Thanks. No I didn't. Though I have heard of this famous cyclist cafe I can't work out where it is up there. TBH I was probably panting like a steam engine with my eyes to the ground and may have missed it!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A day off and a nice 46 miler here in the flatlands.

The destination was Lakenheath Fen nature reserve. Headed off through Burwell, Fordham and into Suffolk via Isleham Marina. On past the most depressing looking shabbiest stadium I've ever seen- Mildenhall speedway. I couldn't face photographing it but blimey, it made Portman Road look good. ^_^

Ignoring a few 'private road, strictly no access' signs, as I often do :evil: I found myself in fairly bleak country. This is the A1101..

image.jpg

And thankfully very quiet. A few more tracks later and a dodgy Norwich to Ely railway line crossing (run like hell before the train comes) I was on Lakenheath Fen..

image.jpg

Until 10 or so years ago, this was a carrot field. Now it's a restored wetland and the wildlife is returning. I saw marsh harriers and kingfishers, as well as a hobby and heard some cranes. There are bitterns here too.

The RSPB bod who'd just roared up to me in an enormous 4x4 told me I couldn't go the way she'd just come from as it might disturb the wildlife. The irony was clearly lost on her, so I walked the riverbank instead. Glad I did too as it was beautiful. Norfolk on left of river, Suffolk, right.

image.jpg

Then on to the visitors centre where they were surprised to see someone on a bike and no doubt sad I'd not turned up in a Volvo. 'No bikes allowed' I was told- good to see they have their priorities right, with the couple of acres dedicated to parking cars outside. I will be cancelling my RSPB membership in the morning.

Away from the hassle, the last few miles to Brandon station were lovely along this bridleway..

image.jpg

Train back to Ely then a quick 15 mile buzz home with a tailwind for the first time all day.

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
A day off and a nice 46 miler here in the flatlands.

The destination was Lakenheath nature reserve. Headed off through Burwell, Fordham and into Suffolk via Islham Marina. On past the most depressing looking shabbiest stadium I've ever seen- Mildenhall speedway. I couldn't face photographing it but blimey, it made Portman Road look good.

Ignoring a few 'private road, strictly no access' signs, as I often do :evil: I found myself in fairly bleak country..

View attachment 51180
But thankfully quiet. A few more tracks later and a dodgy Norwich to Ely railway line crossing (run like hell before the train comes) I was on Lakenheath Fen..

View attachment 51181

Until 10 or so years ago, this was a carrot field. Now it's a rested wetland and the wildlife is returning. I saw marsh harriers and kingfishers, as well as a hobby and heard some cranes. There are bitterns here too.

The RSPB bod who'd jut roared up to me in he enormous 4x4 told me I couldn't go the way she'd just come from as it might disturb the wildlife. The irony was clearly lost on her, so I walked the riverbank instead. Glad I did too as it was beautiful.
I went up through the fens on the way to watch the TDF. That long, straight road is like much of those we travelled on. Cambridge - Ely - March - Wisbech - Boston - Lincoln. Start to play with your head after a while but those cathedrals are real landmarks.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I went up through the fens on the way to watch the TDF. That long, straight road is like much of those we travelled on. Cambridge - Ely - March - Wisbech - Boston - Lincoln. Start to play with your head after a while but those cathedrals are real landmarks.

It is amazing from how far you can see Ely Cathedral. We can see it from here in my village (Swaffham Bulbeck in Cambs) and well into Norfolk as far as the town of Swaffham itself. I like the fact that from the viewing platform on the wind turbine in Swaffham (Norfolk), you can see the Cathedral that i can see from here one way, and the Norfolk coast in the other, near where my parents are, so for me it's a nice link to them.

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
It is amazing from how far you can see Ely Cathedral. We can see it from here in my village (Swaffham Bulbeck in Cambs) and well into Norfolk as far as the town of Swaffham itself. I like the fact that from the viewing platform on the wind turbine in Swaffham (Norfolk), you can see the Cathedral that i can see from here one way, and the Norfolk coast in the other, near where my parents are, so for me it's a nice link to them.
Like beacons. My ride mate had a similar experience as we rode out of Lincoln along the 'cliff' and we saw a line of power stations on the horizon which we'd see again from his home town in North Yorks a good 90 miles riding away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom