Your Past Schoolteachers - nicknames & memories.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't give teachers nicknames, I simply didn't want anything to do with them so never used nicknames that might have made them seem like human beings. Hated most of them with a passion starting with a certain female teacher that even today I say her name with gritteed teeth and a curl of the lip!!

We had vicious teachers who would have broken even the most committed jihadist in Guantanamo. In fact one of them actually used the same interrogation tactics!! I really am not kidding!! Actual use of stress positions. Our head of PE, if he was in a mood, used to physically throw kids out of his way.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember the school caretaker at our junior school in the late 1960's/early 70's. He was called Baron. He wasn't afforded a 'Mr' due to his lowly status.:laugh: We didn't have a nickname for him, but later in life the wrestler Giant Haystacks appeared who looked the spitting image of Baron! Baron did not like children and wasn't slow at showing it! If you gave him lip or even 'hung out' in the cloakrooms during 'playtime' he'd dip his long mop in the pee trough in the toilets and chase you round, saying he was going to ram it in your face!!:ohmy: :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
We called out maths teacher Billy Idol as his first name was Billy and he was a bone-idle, lazy lump.

He'd do things like turn around in his chair to write on the blackboard rather than get up to do it or lie back with his feet up on the desk and throw out exercise books back at is rather than go around and hand them out.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We called out maths teacher Billy Idol as his first name was Billy and he was a bone-idle, lazy lump.

He'd do things like turn around in his chair to write on the blackboard rather than get up to do it or lie back with his feet up on the desk and throw out exercise books back at is rather than go around and hand them out.

That was an act, even an art he must've perfected over time! :becool: :laugh:

When I was a teacher very few classes used old fashioned exercise books
but I did cover a class once that did - so I tried the "throwing the exercise books" trick to give them out

It is far more difficult than it looks - they tend to open up and just flap around while falling to the floor

you have to spin it just right so the air flow keeps the pages shut

I taught IT so all the kids work was on the computer or occasionally on A4 paper so it was a "skill" I never learned

although my attempts were amusing to the class at the time!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Mr Gibbs was known as Toothpaste.
Mr Hunt was known as OJ as the were his initials before the hunt bit (we were so innocent)

I was once slapped around the head by teacher after singing a song which rhymed with his last name, which was Hunt 😇

Another teacher I had was (allegedly) an ex Professional Boxer which I could well believe. A cruel but efficient teacher of mathematics.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Our RE teacher was an ex-boxer. He would fly into rages for no apparent reason. We reckoned he was punch-drunk.

Our RE teacher (the Rev Llewellyn-Jones) had been an army padre during WWII and had entertaining tales. I think we only had RE for one year at the start of secondary school. Aside from his war stories it was incredibly dull. I remember we had to understand what Synoptic Gospels were. After a year of it I still didn't know.

I was talking to an old (retired) Special Needs teacher many years ago

He had a classroom in an old outdoor build with windows all round
there was another similar one next door so he could see the teacher of that class
This teacher was one of those recruited from the Army as they were thought to be "good as discipline" and he had won several medals during the war for bravery

apparently he was famous as he never had any problems with his class in spite of the whole school being for notoriously "difficult" kids

through the windows he could see the other teacher - and sometime hear him in summer if the windows were open

His technique was to teacher normally all morning
drink whisky with his lunch
then continue drinking all afternoon and if the kids had behaved all day the normal lessons were abandoned
and replaced with "WAR" - basically grim and dark and violent stories of WW2 in all the terrible details

In private he was a nice bloke - but said that all the stories were true
his group was one of those that got sent to the worst place on the battlefield to "win at all costs" - and they did
hence the drinking

apparently not many - if any - of his kids ever joined the Army

not sure OFSTED would approve

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Chemistry teacher was El Bandito because he had a moustache, he was happy for us to call him it

A Maths teacher called Penguin because he supposedly walked like the penguin out of Batman, not sure he did. He wasn't happy us calling him it, if he caught you using it he'd rap your knuckles with a board ruler.

When I was training to be a teacher my old school found out and invited me back for a day to see how things were done there today

I obviously was allowed into areas and social groups that I had never been in when I was a pupils - which was over 20 years before!!!

When we were talking about teacher I had had I was surprised to find that some teacher were know by their nick names by the other staff as well as the pupils

such as "Dusty" Rhodes
"Rock" Hudson

and a few others

not - funnily enough "Isaac" Hunt (say it quickly)

but weird to find out

another thing - Rock Hudson was still a teacher there. He actually remembered me and my whole class - recited the whole class
In spite of the fact that he was a Latin teacher and this class was the bottom set - which was the only set that did not do Latin
so he never taught us
I think we had 1 or 2 cover lessons with him in the whole time I was at school - from Year 1 to Upper 6th!!!!

Top Bottom