Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Veteran
I reckon I was talking through my arse! I’m saying slime mold now.

Well you had best find some Dodder and soon ! ^_^

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Photo Winner
No photo, as is often the case with these kind of sightings, but the other night whilst having a stealthy creep over the garden (to see if the chucks had any furry, scaly tailed visitors in the shed) a barn owl took off from the top of the chuck pen as I got near, floating silently up and back over to the wood opposite us.

What chickens do you have?
I miss keeping them. I used to have buff Orpington and a few different varieties of bantam.

Windle

Über Member
What chickens do you have?
I miss keeping them. I used to have buff Orpington and a few different varieties of bantam.

Permanently hungry and very pecky ones :laugh:.
I'm not quite sure what they all are, we have about eighteen, the wife chose them when we got them a couple of years ago after our last couple expired due to old age. I don't think there are two the same. There are couple of different coloured Araucanas, a couple of varieties of Legbars, Black Rock, Sussex and a few hybrids. They came from a place up near Tow Law. We had a Buff Orpington years ago and we've got four bantams in a separate pen now, they are much better behaved than the big ones and don't fly straight at your head when you go into the shed. We've had chucks for about twenty years now and of course the idea of food waste doesn't exist!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Photo Winner
3 hours of work before being caked in crap became unappealing.

This afternoon I made some sourdough crackers. As I was washing my hands I looked up….

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5393.jpeg

The above are phone pictures. I dashed for my camera, obviously the macro lens was attached! A quick lens change-

30B588A0-7625-4D1E-8D1B-3A275BC723B4.jpeg

I’d assumed a Sparrowhawk would turn up eventually.

Don’t be greedy, we like the sparrows!

Windle

Über Member
3 hours of work before being caked in crap became unappealing.

This afternoon I made some sourdough crackers. As I was washing my hands I looked up….

View attachment 749370

View attachment 749371

The above are phone pictures. I dashed for my camera, obviously the macro lens was attached! A quick lens change-

View attachment 749372

I’d assumed a Sparrowhawk would turn up eventually.

Don’t be greedy, we like the sparrows!

Well it is perched on a bird feeder!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Well you had best find some Dodder and soon ! ^_^

Having been described as a doddering old fool, I thought I'd better get out and look for some, but I've now given it up as a wild goose chase.
Apparently the last (only?) sighting in Notts was a rather dubious report "near Mansfield" in 1875. :eek:

Top Bottom