Worksop Carlton 531 Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Good to see it’s been given the pub bike test

Sadly it was closed

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I found myself with some time this afternoon so decided to do a little job I’ve been putting off ad that is to swap over the scratched quill stem that’s really annoying me as it’s exactly in the line of sight.

IMG_4437.jpeg

IMG_4438.jpeg

I managed to re-wrap the bar tape and also realign the brifter as it was slightly lower than the RHS, pretty pleased considering I only paid a tenner plus postage for the replacement stem, it’s not perfect but the top surface which you see whilst riding is unmarked.

IMG_4439.jpeg

IMG_4440.jpeg

Tried to go for a test ride to check the alignment etc and that was a bit of challenge, even our small road to the estate at the back had localised flooding.all the cars in the photo have been abandoned

IMG_4441.jpeg

Last edited:

Witzend

I found myself with some time this afternoon so decided to do a little job I’ve been putting off ad that is to swap over the scratched quill stem that’s really annoying me as it’s exactly in the line of sight.

View attachment 746768
If you know someone with a buffing/polishing wheel, I'd be tempted to have a go at that - you might have to polish the whole lot, though (but imagine the result...)

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Now the stem has been replaced I am pretty happy with it and it is sort of finished. However just to improve it as a road bike I’ve ordered a couple of bits.

Some Look Keo compatible pedals, these will suit the bike a bit more as they are in silver, my black and grey composite pair just didn’t look right.

IMG_1545.jpeg

I also need to reposition my Garmin so I’ve ordered an out front mount,

IMG_1547.jpeg

It should weigh in at about 9.8 kgs with pedals which I’m reasonably pleased with, I could get some weight off by swapping everything else over to Dura Ace and fitting a lighter wheelset, or by drinking less beer and eating fewer crisps!

It’s definitely a very capable road bike and if was 17 again I am sure it would easily do a sub 1 hour 25 miles, but not these days!

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Now the stem has been replaced I am pretty happy with it and it is sort of finished. However just to improve it as a road bike I’ve ordered a couple of bits.

Some Look Keo compatible pedals, these will suit the bike a bit more as they are in silver, my black and grey composite pair just didn’t look right.

View attachment 746828

I also need to reposition my Garmin so I’ve ordered an out front mount,

View attachment 746829

It should weigh in at about 9.8 kgs with pedals which I’m reasonably pleased with, I could get some weight off by swapping everything else over to Dura Ace and fitting a lighter wheelset, or by drinking less beer and eating fewer crisps!

It’s definitely a very capable road bike and if was 17 again I am sure it would easily do a sub 1 hour 25 miles, but not these days!

Needs some period Dura ace wheels?!
7700 or something

Jameshow

Veteran
Don’t tempt me, current wheelset however is superb quality considering they’re 30 years old. RX100 hubs with Mavic Reflex rims

Like these!!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-special-products-division-frameset-£250.297191/

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Nice, but too modern, the current components suit the bike, I don’t want it to look like a resto mod, I’ve done plenty of those, this one is just a bit different, I want it to retain its period look but just improve the gearing and brakes to make it useable, which I feel I have achieved.

If I do decide to upgrade, I’ll just slowly swap out the Ultegra for Dura Ace 7700, keep the existing rims and upgrade the hubs, but as it rides so well in it’s current form, not sure if all that additional expenditure is really worth it.

Top Bottom