Worksop Carlton 531 Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Witzend

Particularly like the detailing on the headtube.
Don't do what I've previously done and leave it too late before protecting it from outer cable damage.

Agree with your decision on type of rebuild. Faithful restorations have their place (and I'm all for them), but if you're going to use it, make it useable (and vice versa).

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Don't do what I've previously done and leave it too late before protecting it from outer cable damage.

I’m already on that, the cabling is still not quite so I’m going to lengthen the outer for rear mech and then fit Jagwire silicon frame protectors.

I’ve also this morning made up some short drop out adjuster screws as the wheel wasn’t sitting quite right in the frame. The reason for shorter screws is that I still want the wheel to sit as far back as possible in the dropouts as the geometry is quite aggressive as it is without bringing the wheel further forward.

I’m taking it to work tomorrow just to finish it off, as it’s nice to have the benefit of a proper fully equipped, professional workshop.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Particularly like the detailing on the headtube.

Agree with your decision on type of rebuild. Faithful restorations have their place (and I'm all for them), but if you're going to use it, make it useable (and vice versa).

Done! I have also lengthened the rear mech outer cable, I’m happier with it now., just didn’t look right before. I had to tape the gear cables with electrical tape to keep the silicon protectors from slipping down the cables.

IMG_4280.jpeg

Glad you like the “updating” some can get a bit sniffy about it. I haven’t touched the frame, no cold setting, or drilling out the forks to fit modern brakes, so everything is reversable.

As you can see from the photo the modern Tektro dual pivot brakes are “nutted” for older frames.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As planned, I took the bike to work today to sort out the headset, it’s either far too tight, or there is lots of play, no sweet spot.

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

I replaced the bearings and it was still same, so frustratingly I took it all apart again and this time I knocked out the races from the frame and forks, cleaned everything up and used our press to put them back into the frame and the proper tool to refit the crown race to the forks.

IMG_4308.jpeg

This seemed to cure the problem, my guess is that something was not quite seated right, anyway there is now no play and the headset is super smooth.

I took it for a quick shakedown (about 6 miles) and it rides perfectly, I am massive fan of these mid 1990’s Ultegra 6500 and Dura Ace 7700 9 speed groupsets, they are a doddle to set up and change with real precision. I haven’t mentioned the wheel set, again that’s from the mid 1990’s and it’s Shimano RX 100 hubs laced to Mavic Reflex SUP clincher rims, max tyre width is supposed to be 23c but the 25c’s I’ve fitted seem to be fine.

IMG_4309.jpeg

I also fitted some VP Components dual sided SPD pedal, they were irritatingly far too tight and didn’t spin meaning that I had to dismantle them and release the tension on the bearings. I also added my phone holder the the stem.

IMG_4312.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

It‘s finished now and needs some proper miles put on it which I’ll try and start next week, but I am confident that it is now 100%, If I do keep it long term, I’ll fit a headset with sealed bearings and replace the quill stem for another Cinelli but a new one, as they all seem to be tatty and mine is no exception, stupidly I should have swapped it before building the bike up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As planned, I took the bike to work today to sort out the headset, it’s either far too tight, or there is lots of play, no sweet spot.

View attachment 744184

View attachment 744170

I replaced the bearings and it was still same, so frustratingly I took it all apart again and this time I knocked out the races from the frame and forks, cleaned everything up and used our press to put them back into the frame and the proper tool to refit the crown race to the forks.

View attachment 744171

This seemed to cure the problem, my guess is that something was not quite seated right, anyway there is now no play and the headset is super smooth.

I took it for a quick shakedown (about 6 miles) and it rides perfectly, I am massive fan of these mid 1990’s Ultegra 6500 and Dura Ace 7700 9 speed groupsets, they are a doddle to set up and change with real precision. I haven’t mentioned the wheel set, again that’s from the mid 1990’s and it’s Shimano RX 100 hubs laced to Mavic Reflex SUP clincher rims, max tyre width is supposed to be 23c but the 25c’s I’ve fitted seem to be fine.

View attachment 744172

I also fitted some VP Components dual sided SPD pedal, they were irritatingly far too tight and didn’t spin meaning that I had to dismantle them and release the tension on the bearings. I also added my phone holder the the stem.

View attachment 744174

View attachment 744173

It‘s finished now and needs some proper miles put on it which I’ll try and start next week, but I am confident that it is now 100%, If I do keep it long term, I’ll fit a headset with sealed bearings and replace the quill stem for another Cinelli but a new one, as they all seem to be tatty and mine is no exception, stupidly I should have swapped it before building the bike up.

Well you've fixed now but I would have said misaligned head set cups or possibly lower race on the skew at the fork end.

One thing to be aware of are there are 2 sizes of these I suppose you'd call em 'cones' one JIS and one European, there's not much difference, only a few thou but it makes one variation very tight on the steerer 'shoulder'

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I took it around the block this morning and that turned in to a 13 mile loop in to Oxford and home via Wolvercote, in Jeans and trainers!

Anyway, it was perfect, there is no noise off the cassette so it’s super-smooth and silent, the gearing is perfect and for a vintage bike it climbs really well. No teething issues, I ran the 25c Corsa tyres at slightly lower pressures, about 85 psi and this seems to be about the sweet spot for our roads.

IMG_4372.jpeg

IMG_4373.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg

The conclusion after about 5 miles was that I must be insane to even consider parting with it, it fits me perfectly so it’s really comfortable to ride, the 2x9 speed drivetrain is sublime and I just love the whole package, it’s a bike that just makes you feel good! when I stopped for a coffee two complete strangers told me lovely they thought the bike was, one chap said it’s nice to see a “proper bike” so it’s a keeper!

So final jobs will be to swap over the scratched stem (an absolute pain in the bum of a job) and replace the knackered 531 decal that refuses to come off the frame! Apart from that, it needs nothing, I must be getting better at this bike building lark!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I took it around the block this morning and that turned in to a 13 mile loop in to Oxford and home via Wolvercote, in Jeans and trainers!

Anyway, it was perfect, there is no noise off the cassette so it’s super-smooth and silent, the gearing is perfect and for a vintage bike it climbs really well. No teething issues, I ran the 25c Corsa tyres at slightly lower pressures, about 85 psi and this seems to be about the sweet spot for our roads.

View attachment 745312

View attachment 745313

View attachment 745314

The conclusion after about 5 miles was that I must be insane to even consider parting with it, it fits me perfectly so it’s really comfortable to ride, the 2x9 speed drivetrain is sublime and I just love the whole package, it’s a bike that just makes you feel good! when I stopped for a coffee two complete strangers told me lovely they thought the bike was, one chap said it’s nice to see a “proper bike” so it’s a keeper!

So final jobs will be to swap over the scratched stem (an absolute pain in the bum of a job) and replace the knackered 531 decal that refuses to come off the frame! Apart from that, it needs nothing, I must be getting better at this bike building lark!

It's a Carlton, one of the best bikes from the 50's til their demise at the hands of Raleigh, just something undefineable about them

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Replacement Cinelli 1A stem arrived this morning, only £13 delivered and it’s mint, I’ve left it packed up, I’d rather just ride it now!

IMG_4387.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Just back from a longer ride, about 20 miles. A few minor snags, the saddle needed to come up about 3/4 of an inch (these old Selle Italia Rolls saddles are surprisingly comfortable) the rear mech wasn’t quite right so I popped it back on the stand when I got home and sorted that out. front bake also had a bit too much lever travel so again I sorted that.

One brifter is slightly lower than the other, so I will probably end up popping the bars off, swapping over the stems and lining them up properly. oh and the VP Components pedals are crap, the SPD side is an absolute bugger to clip in, they’re fine for riding in trainers but hopeless with cycling shoes. Next outing I’ll swap them over with my Ultegra 6500 SPD pedals

IMG_4389.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

Top Bottom