Worksop Carlton 531 Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Below should be a link to Robert Millar winning the 1978 amateur road race championship on one of these frames.

I loved these frames BITD, I have 2 in the garage waiting for me to do something.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8xLb1FWYAU5XBq?format=jpg&name=medium

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Pal of mine has advised me not to convert the 6600 Calipers to nutted, he tried it and virtually destroyed one in the process. I shall just use the Tektro nutted calipers the seller kindly provided, I have removed the Tektro branding with thinners and wire wool. shame they’re slightly lower spec, but I’m pretty sure this is the best solution

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Pal of mine has advised me not to convert the 6600 Calipers to nutted, he tried it and virtually destroyed one in the process. I shall just use the Tektro nutted calipers the seller kindly provided, I have removed the Tektro branding with thinners and wire wool. shame they’re slightly lower spec, but I’m pretty sure this is the best solution

I ended up with my 'username' by advice on a Raleigh rear brake caliper, the trick is to not have to drill out the brake bridge an the back use a front brake caliper with a 'nylock' nut, the fixing bolt is just the right length

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Well, cracked on with it today.

IMG_4235.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4239.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

…..and now have a complete bike, I need to change the tyres and the chain is a bit old and a little bit too short so I’ll fit a new one. I’m also not happy with the head set, it’s either far too tight or loose, so I’ll change the bearings for loose balls with plenty of lithium grease.

However it is very light, unbelievably smooth and the groupset is lovely, so once finished it’ll be a very nice bike. Not quite sure if I’ll keep it though, I’m now over racing bikes I prefer touring bike geometry, but it is a very lovely thing.

IMG_4250.jpeg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, cracked on with it today.

View attachment 743442

View attachment 743443

View attachment 743444

View attachment 743445

View attachment 743446

…..and now have a complete bike, I need to change the tyres and the chain is a bit old and a little bit too short so I’ll fit a new one. I’m also not happy with the head set, it’s either far too tight or loose, so I’ll change the bearings for loose balls with plenty of lithium grease.

However it is very light, unbelievably smooth and the groupset is lovely, so once finished it’ll be a very nice bike. Not quite sure if I’ll keep it though, I’m now over racing bikes I prefer touring bike geometry, but it is a very lovely thing.

View attachment 743447

That's one thing about Carltons, they do ride nicely Carlton seemed to have a knack for making smooth riding bikes. Not only that but they roll better, I used to ride home from work with another guy and there was a downhill section where we'd freewheel and my Carlton used to pull out several bike lengths on his Peugeot just rolling

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
If it was built as a 126mm rear then a 130mm wheel fits easily.

It’s 126 so you’re right

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I did a few snagging jobs this afternoon, I retaped the bars as I rushed it yesterday, I‘m also not quite 100% happy with the gear outer cables so I may shorten them slightly.

But I can’t stop looking at it, this is probably my favourite build so far, it just looks right, the 2013 Raleigh Ti Team Replica I owned a few years ago was never quite right , it was a pastiche, not the real thing, that why I ended up selling it. The Carlton however just has that proper, authentic feel about it.

I took the opportunity to weigh it and it comes in at 9.7 kgs (identical to the Team Raleigh)

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's one thing about Carltons, they do ride nicely Carlton seemed to have a knack for making smooth riding bikes. Not only that but they roll better, I used to ride home from work with another guy and there was a downhill section where we'd freewheel and my Carlton used to pull out several bike lengths on his Peugeot just rolling

I do that to my mate even if we swap bikes, I'm about a stone heavier! 🤣

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Replacement tyres arrived today, to replace the temporary set I had fitted. The old Vittoria Pro Teams were knackered. The replacements are a lightly used pair of Vittoria Corsa tan wall 25c’s which I’ve used before on my Team Raleigh.

IMG_4271.jpeg

Won them on eBay for less than a third of the price of a new set, these are a good replacement and really suit the build, they are also a good compromise, still very light but more road biased, plus slightly wider than the 23c’s that were fitted.

Note the perfectly lined up decals!

IMG_4272.jpeg

Next job is to fit some drop out guides and replace the head bearings, but it’s coming on very well, as usual just waiting for stuff to arrive. Really looking forward to the first proper ride on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom