Which former famous person would you take down the pub, or to any event etc to impress your friends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I
Know the Royal school well I worked on a painting gang there one summer in the 70s

I went back to the Royal recently and the first floor rear windows hadn't been painted since the 1970s (at least) when I was there.

Did you meet Fred? He lived in the gatehouse and was one of the maintenance staff. He was on first name terms with all the smokers who used to hang around the boiler house.

Last edited:
How about Desmond Tutu? He comes across as great fun as well as being an important figure and force for good

Was it on here I heard a lovely anecdote about someone from the UK going to a service in his cathedral. On leaving, he's at the door shaking each member of the congregation's hand and exchanging a few words. They own up that they are technically Methodists, and Tutu then looks awfully serious and says "I forgive you my children", then after a couple of seconds cracks up with that wonderful laugh of his

In any case, anyone who has a degree grade named after him must be worth meeting
But only if he wears his name well!!

matiz

Guru
I went back to the Royal recently and the first floor rear windows haven't been painted since the 1970s (at least) when I was there.

Did you meet Fred? He lived in the gatehouse and was one of the maintenance staff. He was on first name terms with all the smokers who used to hang around the boiler house.
That must have been when I painted them, I was the youngest on the crew so always got sent up the big ladder .
The only thing I remember from that time was some court case involving the burser and our boss worrying about payment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Peter O’Toole and Oscar Wilde have just joined us. Chris Rea is off to get some more.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Someone at the newspaper had a sense of humour!
58B011F6-E594-4049-99DF-E9A33E736846.jpeg

Chris S

Legendary Member
That must have been when I painted them, I was the youngest on the crew so always got sent up the big ladder .
The only thing I remember from that time was some court case involving the burser and our boss worrying about payment.

The bursar was Col. Gopsill. We used to call him Col. Gobshite because of the tales that the told us about his time in the Gurkhas. I Googled a few of them a few years ago and they were more or less true.

The school had been having cash flow problems since the 1960s. By 2016 it was 300k in debt so it transfered it's assets to the LEA and became a Free School. I suspect a lot of private schools will do the same when VAT is added to school fees. However that's one for NCAAP.

Top Bottom